Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So what you are really saying is that it's just your opinion and nothing more. A bit of a moaner in fact.

To the other part of your question. It was asked and answered in this thread.

Wow you're tiresome.

I just went through countless pages of your posts in this thread. Way back to your first one saying impeachment wouldn't happen and its a waste of tax payers money.

Couldn't see a post where you described the direct impact of Trump on yourself or your Florida family. Just deflection and waffle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using a scarf is actually just more likely to make people touch their face more meaning they get the virus.

Either way it won’t be gone will it, even when there is a vaccine it won’t be gone, I accept I made a mistake with the word “soon” but it doesn’t really change anything it won’t be gone.

There's very few diseases or viruses that have been removed from the Earth, quite obviously "gone" in the context Trump used means it won't be a major threat to public health, like SARS or MERS. Using a scarf or wrapping something around your face is actually some what effective at catching viruses, though obviously yes you need to avoid touching the mask and your face as well. Trump was quite obviously discourging people to buy masks so there's more available for health workers - most objective people would recognise that as a reasonable thing to say.

Caporegime
Wow you're tiresome.

I just went through countless pages of your posts in this thread. Way back to your first one saying impeachment wouldn't happen and its a waste of tax payers money.

Couldn't see a post where you described the direct impact of Trump on yourself or your Florida family. Just deflection and waffle.
His family are doing well under Trump - that's all I could find. I assume they were on the poverty line in late 2016, and their fortunes completely turned around a few weeks later.

Soldato
Sorry but I have no access to official documents to compare what what the people in the video say.

You could say the same about the UK if you want to split hairs.

See the great thing about Potholer54 videos is you don't need to source anything. He was a geologist before he became a scientific journalist so he always links the scientific papers he uses in the video information. So you can download and browse them at you leisure. Take a look in the video info.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hadfield_(journalist)

What drugs are you on? Stop it now for your own safety.

I happen to like drugs thanks. However that doesn't change the fact that Apple doesn't sell/share your data unlike Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon. They don't do anywhere near enough to stop the likes of those 4 companies and more from collecting data from their own apps installed on Apple products I'll give you that. I wish they would slam that door shut as well.

Soldato
There's very few diseases or viruses that have been removed from the Earth, quite obviously "gone" in the context Trump used means it won't be a major threat to public health, like SARS or MERS. Using a scarf or wrapping something around your face is actually some what effective at catching viruses, though obviously yes you need to avoid touching the mask and your face as well. Trump was quite obviously discourging people to buy masks so there's more available for health workers - most objective people would recognise that as a reasonable thing to say.

Perhaps but what he should have been doing in January and February was procuring massive amounts of masks. South Korea kept huge stockpiles of masks, their citizens wore them everywhere and that along with other measures meant they have managed (hopefully) to get a real grip on this. The US like lots of other Western countries failed badly, there is no escaping that conclusion.

Edit :

MERS hasn't gone anywhere. It still flares up in the Middle East and kills. Fortunately for us person to person transmission is contained to very close contact and it appears there is no transmission from asymptomatic cases.

SARS did die out in 2004. This should have been a warning though. This should have been a major warning of what a coronavirus can do. Trump and Bolton shutting down the NSC Pandemic Unit now seems incredibly short sighted and perhaps given the Trump Administration were war gamed on exactly this in transition it seems incompetent.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're talking about Florida Man, I did doubt that whole meme, but @deuse proves the stereotype.
His history in the Trump SC thread is just contempt, provocation, "lefties" and a hilarious "watch this space" as if Trump is going to do a lot of good for the country including healthcare.

If he's happy for Trump's actions to further divide and harm Americans at an unprecedented rate but he is doing well - so be it. Funnily enough he seems to be much more critical of Obama, I wonder why that could be.....

Soldato
Perhaps but what he should have been doing in January and February was procuring massive amounts of masks. South Korea kept huge stockpiles of masks, their citizens wore them everywhere and that along with other measures meant they have managed (hopefully) to get a real grip on this. The US like lots of other Western countries failed badly, there is bio escaping that conclusion.

I think context is important, we haven't seen anything like this outbreak in the West. South Korea and Asian countries in general have, so naturally they're better prepared. Procuring millions of masks and thousands of expensive ventilators seems smart with the benefit of hindsight, but then if this scenario hadn't of happened, that's money that people could equally criticise wasn't spent on cancer treatment, or drugs that costs thousands of pounds a month, etc.

Soldato
I think context is important, we haven't seen anything like this outbreak in the West. South Korea and Asian countries in general have, so naturally they're better prepared. Procuring millions of masks and thousands of expensive ventilators seems smart with the benefit of hindsight, but then if this scenario hadn't of happened, that's money that people could equally criticise wasn't spent on cancer treatment, or drugs that costs thousands of pounds a month, etc.

I don't think anyone is saying they should have been stockpiling thousands of ventilators. That is incredibly expensive. They could have been researching a ventilator that could be mass produced very quickly with minimal tooling required though.

Masks though are cheap as chip when you are buying them in the 100s of millions. They could have bought them and then sold them off at cost to the health care services as they approach halfway towards their sell by dates and replace. For a country with the budget of the USA this is peanuts.

Man of Honour
Using a scarf is actually just more likely to make people touch their face more meaning they get the virus.

Wash your hands before putting a mask on or off. It's not complicated. A mask, even one improvised from a scarf, will be of some benefit to the wearer and to other people. It reduces droplets in and out. Not completely (that would require far more serious protective gear), but any reduction is of some use. The main reason for not using masks is a shortage of supply, not because they're counter-productive. If the advice is "wear a mask" (a reasonable idea) and "N95 rated masks are the best tradeoff between protection, cost and convenience" (which is true), the demand for N95 masks will far outstrip supply and people with a far greater need for them won't have them. Which is happening anyway because the demand from medical staff alone outstrips supply at the moment.

Yes, I know that viruses are smaller than the holes in any mask you can breathe through. But the virus is in droplets shed by people and not all the droplets containing the virus will get through a hole.

Either way it won’t be gone will it, even when there is a vaccine it won’t be gone, I accept I made a mistake with the word “soon” but it doesn’t really change anything it won’t be gone.

Changing "eventually" to "soon" changes a great deal. Eventually everyone alive today will be dead. Eventually all life on Earth will be dead. Eventually the whole universe will probably be dead. "Eventually" and "soon" have very different meanings. When there's a vaccine and an effective treatment, pandemics of the disease will be gone (wherever the vaccine and treatment is available). In more casual usage, the disease itself will be gone. On a social scale, a curable disease few people get is sort of gone.

Soldato
Wash your hands before putting a mask on or off. It's not complicated. A mask, even one improvised from a scarf, will be of some benefit to the wearer and to other people. It reduces droplets in and out. Not completely (that would require far more serious protective gear), but any reduction is of some use. The main reason for not using masks is a shortage of supply, not because they're counter-productive. If the advice is "wear a mask" (a reasonable idea) and "N95 rated masks are the best tradeoff between protection, cost and convenience" (which is true), the demand for N95 masks will far outstrip supply and people with a far greater need for them won't have them. Which is happening anyway because the demand from medical staff alone outstrips supply at the moment.

Yes, I know that viruses are smaller than the holes in any mask you can breathe through. But the virus is in droplets shed by people and not all the droplets containing the virus will get through a hole.

Changing "eventually" to "soon" changes a great deal. Eventually everyone alive today will be dead. Eventually all life on Earth will be dead. Eventually the whole universe will probably be dead. "Eventually" and "soon" have very different meanings. When there's a vaccine and an effective treatment, pandemics of the disease will be gone (wherever the vaccine and treatment is available). In more casual usage, the disease itself will be gone. On a social scale, a curable disease few people get is sort of gone.

I’ve already admitted my mistake on “soon”.

So much of what you’re saying is just an “inference” of the words he used. You can infer what you like that’s fine but I can’t see that’s his statements aren’t very helpful. We thought Mumps was “gone” but due to the lack of vaccination it’s back.

Is a scarf better than nothing, maybe/maybe not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom