Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
The one thing that doesn't make much sense to me at the moment is the current lack of correlation of Brent to a number of oil companies, even after you take into account other market announcements and price in volatility.

What do you mean by this? You think oil companies such as Shell, BP etc are currently overvalued or undervalued due to Brent price?

Soldato
You can buy either and A is slightly different tax, B is the one to buy if resident or paying tax in Uk so far as I know. I'd really like to quote a website on that tax law because Im sure there is one, I'll look later.

Its a behemoth, all the biggest companys on FTSE should have a lot of research, data, analysis and opinions out there. Imo its reasonable to buy or look into a lot of them as UK overall is cheaper rating over the USA stocks. Quite a few pay out in dollars and have dual listings anyway. HSBC is one company I can never decide on, I only hold it via a tracker

That is my thoughts as well. What I would like is a site where I can pay a monthly fee of say £100 to avoid this and get the perfect rate

This is unit trust money not stocks. If you are geologist or have some other advantage the rest of us and the market dont have then have at it. Its asking too much, stocks trade every day but results are really about a 6 year business plan. To setup something like a gold mine is probably 10 years to play out, what that means is everything we do is speculation.

Once you are into what people think not the events because the mine or whatever is going to take years, then you have to trade fears and hopes, perceptions. Hence it is close to a poker game I guess. If you understood the company was certain to have success in a certain rock formation etc. you got some advantage at least.

A unit trust will spread costs across holders, its safe in that nobody owns the stock except the trust itself. I think its possible to buy and sell without paying fixed costs or even a spread though double check that.

Its impossible to know anything for sure, hence news of GDP going down but stocks going up is not nonense its a weighing scales. We have very weak sterling for some time now, the stocks receive money that appears larger as sterling goes down. In any case, prices matter in total over years and the day to day is going to appear glitchy as its close to guessing.

CHK went down to $13 on its reduction in stock, then it rose to near $40 I believe in 5 days and its worth billions. Thats very extreme movement. Now its down again, most of the company is tied up in debt so its a balancing act. ET was probably the better bet, tons of infrastructure revenue. I should have added to PSX but I was unsure exactly, evaluating such giant ongoing concerns is not likely by one person, I think theres a lot of presumption.

I would never have guessed Tesla made any sense, I shorted it at 300 or so and I made a tiny profit but got too worried to hold it and I have an idea its not obvious in its value, it spikes. After that I think Tesla dropped to like 200 for a while, then obviously its a silly price now. Some of what justifies that is a government measure where other companies pay it, a bit like carbon credits or something. I didnt know that and I should have, I'd rather stay away from this but I can get why people here on a tech forum went with it. Still I'd sell now :o

Wish I'd bought AMD summer of 2017 when I was following their Vega release, they done very well though INTC is the less dangerous choice imo.

Interesting one on BP. Profits down 66%, share price jumps 10%. Still paying dividends.

I guess investors were expecting worse news? At 321p It's still down from it's 500p high in Jan though

Exxon kept their dividend, it was never super high afaik but Shell appeared massive yield and has cut for the first time since ww2. I'd still rather have Shell then BP though I like BP as its a 'safe' trade. Pay dividend or not does not matter as the cash is on balance sheet etc but its down to perception again and Shell fell a fair bit but within recent range.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52390840
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ss-produce-experimental-COVID-19-vaccine.html

Various vaccines and treatment hopes justify the market being way too high. I think its fair (weak cash) but prone to reversal as its lot harder for any of that work to propagate and count vs lethality % rates

LLOY and BARC is probably fine to hold, all they need to do is get business. I saw a tip for BARC which mentions they are gaining a lot from investment bank activities helping businesses to reorganise finances in a hurry. LLOY just needs to continue regular business, mortgages are profitable if people dont default etc. I dont see they are so badly placed that the stock halving is not a time to look at it, I like their CEO I think he is a steady hand not a gambler but as always need to read more.

+7% AAZ :eek:

C'mon lambo!
Gold I see as having some top it, good to sell off some. Perseus moved from 120 back below a dollar with some news which is a good demonstration of why taking profit is never a bad idea.
Every stock is different but thats my general take short term, I guess a inverse direction to optimism elsewhere but currency will be weak all year and going foward so I see gold good for years long term. But a year is a big range of price movement so I'd like to sell peaks if I can spot them.
CNR back to recent highs but it has no revenue just reserves so its really reliant on that base line case for gold, the others are regular cash cows seems to me.

Caporegime
I thought he'd already agreed with the SEC not to be a **** on twitter?

Not re: his Covid19 nonsense etc.. but "Tesla stock price is too high imo" is a bit close to being a naughty boy again...

Soldato
I thought he'd already agreed with the SEC not to be a **** on twitter?

Not re: his Covid19 nonsense etc.. but "Tesla stock price is too high imo" is a bit close to being a naughty boy again...

He's so widely acknowledged as being a wildcard now that I don't think anything he tweets will affect the company or stock any more. If anything investors and customers alike buy into that rogue Tony Stark-esque brand.

Not to say it isn't naughty, though!

Caporegime
He's so widely acknowledged as being a wildcard now that I don't think anything he tweets will affect the company or stock any more. If anything investors and customers alike buy into that rogue Tony Stark-esque brand.

Not to say it isn't naughty, though!

It absolutely did affect the stock, very rapidly after he tweeted.

He's still the boss - people (and computers) will still be monitoring his twitter feed even if he's being a silly boy.

Soldato
ZM down to $137.80 today - going to leave that open a while longer, target to get out @ $125 (which IMO is still overvalued, but isn't nearly everything at the moment!)

Over 2% today and that is after announcing that they lied/made a mistake and don't really have 300m subscribers but probably less than half to a third of that.

Tesla is just comical, but good if you like to bet/gamble a fair bit can be made from them. I also think the long term their solar-side of the business could be interesting.

Soldato
Over 2% today and that is after announcing that they lied/made a mistake and don't really have 300m subscribers but probably less than half to a third of that.

Tesla is just comical, but good if you like to bet/gamble a fair bit can be made from them. I also think the long term their solar-side of the business could be interesting.

Ah I didn’t see that news about ZM - but with Facebook rooms appearing and Google making meets free, not really good news ... holding on a while longer.

TSLA is too volatile for my liking, and too expensive to combine it with options.

Associate
I was playing around with a compound interest calculator and then wondered what would happen if I sold my 2 Buy to Let's and put the cash in the market, nothing crazy just SP500 and Nasdaq. It seems like a no brainer but then I would be left with NO property. I live abroad and always thought it would be good to own property in London, where I will eventually move back to.

If I sold the properties I would be left with about 350K with about 25-30yrs to invest.

The costs of property like insurance, letting fees , maintenance fees really start to add up.

Any thoughts?

Associate
Remortgage them long term to release some capital and get extremely low rates, then invest part of what you get out. Put the rent towards paying the mortgage off if you don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom