Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
I'm afraid I'm going to show my ignorance here but how do folk find out how many buys and sells are being made on a particular stock. I've read on other forums folk discussing "big sells" or "big buys" - just wandered where they see that information.

It's public info. I used to use/pay for ADVFN, but any of your usual share price sites should have it. For example https://uk.advfn.com/p.php?pid=trades&symbol=NASDAQ:TSLA&xref=navmenu_trades. Any trades made by directors should also be highlighted/viewable separately.

Associate
Hi all,

After some opinions on what currency to trade in (as opposed to trading currency!).

At the moment I've got a trading 212 account in gbp, with a mix of US and UK stocks. It struck me that it might make more sense to have a separate USD account for the US stocks, given potential exchange rate fluctuations when brexit happens.

What do you think? What currency do you guys trade with?

I guess it depends on how frequently you trade.

If you buy US stocks from a GBP account then you'll pay a conversion fee based upon the brokers choosing. If you day trade this will definitely eat into profits. Long term I dont think it's worth the hassle.

Soldato
Today should be a good day for AA...

Up 15% to 30p currently.

GDR placing to be announced on Tuesday next week. Contacted HL to express interest in a small allocation. Usual volatility & fall that you might expect (290p to 160p in 2 days.)

Soldato
AA did very well considering they doubled profit up to January - i.e before COVID. Now factor in less cars on the road for many months (less insurance claims), less breakdown calls and an increase in people with flat batteries...who don't have the full home care cover (few do given the much higher cost)

AA PLC (LON:AA) shares rallied as its financial results highlighted a “resilient, cash generative” business, albeit the financials cover the pre-coronavirus period.

Revenue for the twelve months ended 31 January 2020 amounted to £995mln, up 2%, while operating profit increased 17% to £257mln.

Profit before tax rose by 102% to £107mln, with earnings per share at 14.1p from 6.9p in the preceding year.

Soldato
I have a really cheap international broker but yep the downside is 1% fees for forex so going back and forth that really adds up. Not acceptable in any large amount, might as well buy a unit trust even with management fee its cheaper. If you are a trading genius and in this current volatility 1% can be justified then its a handy account I guess :)

EXadWGtXsAEw-jo

Is telecoms a bad business now, how is zoom rated so highly but the means of connecting and infrastructure not a beneficiary of distance working etc. VOD is lower then the 08 crash or is that also because it split off value from its US sale.
I sold out some FTSE partly because my timing to buys left much to be desired. Stay liquid imo

Caporegime
I have a really cheap international broker but yep the downside is 1% fees for forex so going back and forth that really adds up. Not acceptable in any large amount, might as well buy a unit trust even with management fee its cheaper. If you are a trading genius and in this current volatility 1% can be justified then its a handy account I guess :)

Not really, it’s of pretty much no use, you can just as well open an account somewhere else that doesn’t rip you off.

Caporegime
Hoping hit bottom with insurers.
Wish I had more cash to put in.
A lot will depend on if a second wave bits hard. If it does I think bottom is in. If it does.. Who knows how low it could go

Soldato
Who was it that shorting Zoom. They are at $160 after the acquisition announcement of Keybase. Still don't see what's driving it though, considering the competition that is out there, and lockdowns easing will reduce demand a little from the likes of schools, and home users that aren't paying anyway will probably switch to something like Facebook's offering.

Caporegime
Who was it that shorting Zoom. They are at $160 after the acquisition announcement of Keybase. Still don't see what's driving it though, considering the competition that is out there, and lockdowns easing will reduce demand a little from the likes of schools, and home users that aren't paying anyway will probably switch to something like Facebook's offering.

Yeah I would not be going for zoom that's for sure. Seems like a flash in the can

Soldato

I’m still shorting ZM. The big moves like yesterday help for selling options against the position too for some income.

Considering they’re up against the likes of Google / MS etc. who all own their own infrastructure, and can offer so many other products bundled together .. ZMs valuation is crazy.

Soldato
Greggs reopening some stores. I expect a sentiment driven uptick, but there's a TU this week which will be catastrophic. Might be priced in though...

Caporegime
Greggs reopening some stores. I expect a sentiment driven uptick, but there's a TU this week which will be catastrophic. Might be priced in though...

They're not opening to the public yet.

https://www.greggs.co.uk/coronavirus

Since temporarily closing our shops, we’ve been working hard to get up and running again, and we are now undertaking some initial trials. To begin with, these trials will take place behind closed doors in order to test a number of new operational safety measures that will enable social distancing, and for us to operate in line with the latest Government guidelines. These trials are being conducted across a number of channels, including delivery through Just Eat, Click + Collect and walk-in customers. Colleague and customer safety continue to be the primary focus of the decisions we take as we start to re-open our shops.

Thank you for your patience while we work hard to play our part in getting the nation back up and running again and serving the communities in which we operate.

Back
Top Bottom