• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Some of you chaps need to read a few pages back - I posted some links about the B450 motherboards and possibly no Zen3 compatibility. Even had an argument about it!!

:p

imagine all the amd supports future cpus better than intel arguements debates incoming if thats the case. oh...we buy amd because it supports better. next gen isnt supported LOL.

Soldato
I long for the days when AMD/Intel chips fitted in same board :p

Those were the days!! :p

imagine all the amd supports future cpus better than intel arguements debates incoming if thats the case. oh...we buy amd because it supports better. next gen isnt supported LOL.
I was telling people,if AMD did this they deserve the same level of critcism as Intel.

Soldato
Big deal, I'll just flog my B450 and bag £100 B550. AMD had done us proud the last few years so they get a pass from me if no B450 support.

It is a big deal as there is all the fake outrage when Intel did it,so no AMD does not get a pass for doing it. The AMD fans can fall on their own swords,but like Intel they are just another technology company,so I treat them the same.

5C44V9WScNbUM64zNtch8m-970-80.jpg

That is apparently fully compatible with PCI-E 4.0,for both the main PCI-E 4.0 slot and M2 slot. So an Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero can't support PCI-E 4.0,but a rubbish el-cheapo OEM smaller than mATX motherboard can?

I am still hopeful they won't do it,but some of us who have been around long enough,remember when AMD pulled Intel level stuff too. They did it during the Athlon 64 days with socket 754,they did it with AM2(AM2+),AM3(AM3+),FM1,FM2(FM2+),so if people excuse make for it,then expect what Intel does in the future. Remember their "we don't want to be a budget brand" spiel with their GPUs.

After all AMD can make a B450 rebrand for OEMs,since last year,called the B550A,which has partial PCI-E 4.0 support. Yet,magically even the best B450 or X470 motherboards for the last 6 months can't support it,even the new ones such as the MSI Max range. They are trying to milk enthusiasts if they try this stunt. They probably held back on it until Intel was reading to launch its new range of CPUs.

So again I hope its not really going to happen,but if it does,looks a more marketing driven decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
Peeps getting pretty annoyed here.

Annoyed because 470 and 450 perhaps won't support zen3?

To be expected I would have thought. Board vendors cheaped out on all those in most cases.

Do people care about pci 4?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure where all this "fake outrage" comes from. As far as I can see Intel have been artificially restricting core count and bringing in a new motherboard nearly every generation. If AMD have to make a few restrictions due to technical limitations I don't think it's the end of the world. AMD users have had a pretty good run in recent years. Not so much if you bought a 7700K.

Soldato
Not sure where all this "fake outrage" comes from. As far as I can see Intel have been artificially restricting core count and bringing in a new motherboard nearly every generation. If AMD have to make a few restrictions due to technical limitations I don't think it's the end of the world. AMD users have had a pretty good run in recent years. Not so much if you bought a 7700K.
I only just upgraded. I can easily see 5 years in this chip, then an upgrade to a second hand 4000 in years 4-6 for probably 7 years of use in the mobo. Maybe more.

I'm absolutely delighted I skipped the early ryzen tech. Not that it was bad, just it was worth the wait for me.

Soldato
I only just upgraded. I can easily see 5 years in this chip, then an upgrade to a second hand 4000 in years 4-6 for probably 7 years of use in the mobo. Maybe more.

I'm absolutely delighted I skipped the early ryzen tech. Not that it was bad, just it was worth the wait for me.

Totally agree, as I keep saying, timing is everything. With a little bit of luck :) I'll be happy if I get 7 years out of my current system.

Soldato
Peeps getting pretty annoyed here.

Annoyed because 470 and 450 perhaps won't support zen3?

To be expected I would have thought. Board vendors cheaped out on all those in most cases.

Do people care about pci 4?

I doubt it's technical - look at the picture of the first B550 motherboard in my previous post. Its really cheap looking.

Also,remember people supporting AMD when they forced removal of the PCI-E 4.0 BIOSes from the B450.

Since last year the OEM B450,aka,B550A supports PCI-E 4.0 in the top slot. It uses the same chipset.

So that means either AMD artifically locked out PCI-E 4.0 on the B450,or OEMs got a superior version of the B450 chipset for 6 months.

Certain users here always had a pot shot in Intel threads about their lack of platform longevity. However,the moment AMD might lockout B450 and X470 users,it's suddenly OK. But the problem is no,many B450 users have not had a good run,as it is the most commonly used AM4 chipset for Zen2. AMD CBA to release a B550 at all.Many motherboard makers even made 2019 newer models when Zen 2 was going to release,due to the B550 delay.

So those people,IF AMD does what is rumoured like Intel Z370 users,have no more of an upgrade path. I hope AMD does not do it,and it's muddled communications in the review pack.

Then you had rebadged B450 motherboards(B550A) supporting PCI-E 4.0,so its sketchy,as for the last six months,OEM PCs had a superior version of the B450 apparently. Gamersnexus got hold of one.

Now I hope AMD isn't going to lockout the B450 from Zen3,but if it happens,it will be interesting to see if the B550A motherboards are fine.

Schenker a German laptop OEM,said their B450 motherboards would work with Zen2:
https://videocardz.com/newz/schenke...sktop-cpus-to-be-compatible-with-b450-chipset

My view is AMD was sandbagging on purpose,and holding back the B550 and consumer PCI-E 4.0 motherboards,until Intel had released their new CPUs. Also they didn't want to lose X570 sales,so were not happy when OEMs released BIOSes for some motherboards. OEMs,OTH,want a new chipset and new features for their yearly lines,so AMD had no choice there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a 3600 for my b450 tomahawk max with the intention to jump to 12 core when zen 3 came out so if the board won't support it there's no way I'm buying a new board for 1 CPU so I'll stick with what I have till AM5 releases or Intel comes good, either way it will be a lost CPU sale for amd this year and I'm guessing I won't be the only one.

Soldato
If the new chips require more microcode (storage) than B450 boards have available, I'm not sure what AMD was supposed to do about that with the new CPUs.

Soldato
I got a 3600 for my b450 tomahawk max with the intention to jump to 12 core when zen 3 came out so if the board won't support it there's no way I'm buying a new board for 1 CPU so I'll stick with what I have till AM5 releases or Intel comes good, either way it will be a lost CPU sale for amd this year and I'm guessing I won't be the only one.

I think you won't be the only one. I hope it's a PR confusion.

If the new chips require more microcode (storage) than B450 boards have available, I'm not sure what AMD was supposed to do about that with the new CPUs.

What about the motherboards that do have bigger BIOS chips?? There was a raft of newer AM4 B450 and X470 motherboards which have the same size 32MB BIOS chips as the X570. The whole MSI MAX line has 32MB chips!

It should be upto OEMs to support this,but you saw what happened with the B450 PCI-E 4.0 support,yet the OEM B550A(B450) was allowed to.

I hope it's the reviewers getting confused by the wording of the launch material!

Soldato
What about the motherboards that do have bigger BIOS chips?? There was a raft of newer AM4 B450 and X470 motherboards which have the same size 32MB BIOS chips as the X570. The whole MSI MAX line has 32MB chips!

It should be upto OEMs to support this,but you saw what happened with the B450 PCI-E 4.0 support,yet the OEM B550A(B450) was allowed to.

I hope it's the reviewers getting confused by the wording of the launch material!

I remember seeing that Linux was getting an update for a lot more microcode for Zen 3. If it's just a storage-space issue, there may be some B450's that can run the new chips. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

My point is that it matters to me if a new MB will be required for arbitrary reasons or for engineering reasons. If the new CPU's require a bunch of new microcode to perform better, I would rather have new CPU's that use more microcode than some boards can hold rather than have AMD release less powerful CPU's just for expanded backward compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom