• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The ROM size excuse is a load of BS. Many B450 motherboards like the Max range have the same 32MB ROM size as X570 motherboards.

AMD argues that it ran into ROM size limitations when trying to cram AGESA microcode for all the older processors.

We find that hard to believe because B450 motherboards with the latest ComboAM4 AGESA support 2nd gen and 3rd gen processors, including APUs and Athlon SKUs based on the two.

Even TPU does not believe it! So most mainstream Zen2 owners are like Intel CFL owners,a one CPU generation. LOL!

At least I bought my system in 2018,so had a lot of use of my system.

:p
I would be pretty ****** if I had bought a B450 instead of a x570 at this point

Most mainstream Zen2 buyers then. LOL!

Last edited:
Associate
A lot of the techtubers, reviewers and the community members really pushed the 450 boards so there's going to be some backlash on this. Someone should go back and see if AMD ever spoke officially on the matter or this was an assumption created by the community itself and perpetuated.

Associate
No Ryzen 4000 (ZEN 3) CPU support for X370, B350, X470, B450 motherboards :eek:
5872f43d1.jpg

Soldato
Most mainstream Zen2 buyers then. LOL!
So basically any board you buy for next platforms for either Intel or AMD won't be good for more than maybe 1-2 upgrades maximum.

I only went with an X570 board because it had PCIE4 and was newer etc and needed a new board since my x99 one gave up at the time, wouldn't really have expected that they would exclude all previous boards for their last AM4 chip, seems a bit strange.

Associate
My guess would be that this is the line for *official* support, but there's nothing stopping board manufacturers releasing a compatible BIOS for B450 if they choose to.

Will have to go back through all the marketing ***** from the past few years, its safe to assume the message most people got was AM4 boards will support up to Ryzen 4000, subject to board manufacturer support.

Caporegime
Associate
So apparently its because of ROM size (bios) limitations as I talked about earlier but come on... there are B450 motherboards like the popular MSI Tomahawk MAX that has a big 32MB bios chip ready for it! :(

Soldato
So basically any board you buy for next platforms for either Intel or AMD won't be good for more than maybe 1-2 upgrades maximum.

I only went with an X570 board because it had PCIE4 and was newer etc and needed a new board since my x99 one gave up at the time, wouldn't really have expected that they would exclude all previous boards for their last AM4 chip, seems a bit strange.

All the people hating on Intel,now can see AMD makes excuses too when it suits them. A lot of newer and better B450/X470 motherboards have the 32MB BIOS chips,like the X570 so its just because AMD can.

Soldato
So apparently its because of ROM size (bios) limitations as I talked about earlier but come on... there are B450 motherboards like the popular MSI Tomahawk MAX that has a big 32MB bios chip ready for it! :(
Mine had it in 2018! I kind of find it funny the Asus ROG Hero X470 which has a bigger BIOS chip isn't supported.

I would have to question that image, a 3900x works on x370, that seems to say it doesn't. Wheres that image from anyway?

I am hopeful OEMs ignore AMD,but after the PCI-E 4.0 fiasco,I expect they can force not to,if they wanted to!

Associate
As a b450 Max owner that was intending to upgrade.... What a load of BS, they just lost one processor sale and lets say i will think twice before buying anything of them, one generation motherboard....

Soldato
This is why I went x570, even though it's only a Ryzen 3600. When I drop the 4*** 8core in next year, I'll be fine. Plus now I'm enjoying PCIe Gen 4 SSD. It's so fast.

Problem is that a lot of people who used the B450 were on a budget,so the chance they could drop in a better CPU in a few years time,is really useful for them. Remember,the X570 motherboards were quite pricey at launch too.

I am saddened they pulled this stunt,but at least I had my motherboard since 2018 with Zen+ so I have at least one more generation. People who have bought into this chipset much later,ie,will upgrade later than me to AM5,will probably be not happy at all.

As a b450 Max owner that was intending to upgrade.... What a load of BS, they just lost one processor sale and lets say i will think twice before buying anything of them, one generation motherboard....

Your not the only one I hear saying this now.

Caporegime

ASRock have a warning on the BIOS page for my motherboard, because of the size of the BIOS chip updating the BIOS to Zen 2 compatibility removes Zen 1 compatibility.

The BIOS chip is only 8MB, i think B450, other than the MSI Max, are 16MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom