• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Tomorrow we will know 100% what is going on but maybe its a case of some B450 boards not supporting Zen 3 due to stuff like having no space left in the bios chip.
If that's the case then the popular MSI B450 MAX range with their 32MB bios chips should be fine.

Associate
id look into a replacement psu? try that first

Yep I did, no dice. Tried various diagnostics on the motherboard too e.g. tripping the power switch with a screwdriver etc. Nothing happens, not even the start of the CPU fan or an attempt to POST which makes it hard to determine which other parts are broken. I have a multimeter too if you know of any tests I can do with that.

At this point, I wonder if the cost of trying to repplace the motherboard and potentially other parts, outweighs the sunk cost from getting a ryzen 3100 or 3200g and then upgrading to zen 3 later. I'd rather not lose any money though if I only need to wait for a few months. If it's looking December ish, then i'd upgrade now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Presumably NDA lift on the B550 motherboards, given they're on sale June 16th and we've not seen a damn thing :p

At face value, B550 being released should not have any impact or news for Zen 3 unless of course AMD's selling the b550 at zen 3 compatible, perhaps the boards have a particular feature that Zen 3 needs

Caporegime
Tomorrow we will know 100% what is going on but maybe its a case of some B450 boards not supporting Zen 3 due to stuff like having no space left in the bios chip.
If that's the case then the popular MSI B450 MAX range with their 32MB bios chips should be fine.

Yeah this is a problem....
ASRock removed Excavator and Zen 1 compatibility from my board with the Zen 2 BIOS citing lack of BIOS space.

Caporegime

two gold stars for that man!

never ever noticed the fan noise over say a gpu cooler.
they are decent quality delta fans also so not like the old days with buzzing fans when the bearings go hopefully...

its proven they arent needed. so you have possible extra noise either new or later in the life of the pc build. also possibility of failure in the future. so right now there is no point in buying them. hopefully the mobo manufacturers get it right for the new boards that will come with these new chips.

Associate
its proven they arent needed. so you have possible extra noise either new or later in the life of the pc build. also possibility of failure in the future. so right now there is no point in buying them. hopefully the mobo manufacturers get it right for the new boards that will come with these new chips.

I guess your right!
my strix-e board was mega blocked up by the small grill holes in front of the lil chipset fan and then that's all covered up by a massive strix 3 fan cooler on the gpu!
was all plastic encased also! bad design that,

the gigabyte elite looks much better placement, and the asus tuf-gaming does have the grill so again better airflow

G J

G J

Associate
If the bios size issue was the problem why not just say thats the compatability issue as I dont remember the bios limitations being super secret or under NDA's when Ryzen 3xxx was released.

Nothing being said about x570/x470's either so maybe the motherboards have to be pcie-4 or the real kicker is that support will only be on new x550/x6xx motherboards.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the bios size issue was the problem why not just say thats the compatability issue as I dont remember the bios limitations being super secret or under NDA's when Ryzen 3xxx was released.

Nothing being said about x570/x470's either so maybe the motherboards have to be pcie-4 or the real kicker is that support will only be on new x550/x6xx motherboards.

The OEM B550A which is available since last year,is a rebranded B450,and supports partial PCI-E 4.0,and the first leaked B550 motherboard was a Chinese OEM motherboard,which looked like one of the £50 AM4 motherboards you can get in shops,ie,smaller than mATX PCB,no VRM heatsinks,etc.

Looks like more product segmentation to drive motherboard sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom