• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
It sounds like "Pc Gamers" are more obsessed with loading up a benchmark or FPS counter than actually playing a game.

Unless a game was a stuttering mess I'd quite imagine gaming at 1440p + on any mid range cpu with a decent GPU is going to be a good experience.

Intel definitely have the lead on a lot of gaming benchmarks I've seen. Although the differences are more prominent at low resolutions. At 4k the cpu becomes more or less irrelevant and that difference is a couple of percent. Noticeable only to someone obsessing with benchmarks again.

The way I see it is that if you own an RTX 2080 you're gonna have a good gaming experience on any CPU that costs more than £150. However if you are streaming and doing cpu intensive work then one CPU manufacturer is providing considerably more bang for buck right now.

You're not wrong. No one really needs anything but a 3600/9600k for gaming. Most people who buy higher end parts have some spare cash they don't need it buy it anyway because they want to feel good by getting a good score. So yes like you said a lot of PC gamers spend half their time looking at bar charts

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Lol, you have more chance of stepping out your front door, getting struck by lightning, surviving, then walking down the street and getting run over...than you have of ever being a victim of these security holes.

It makes no difference to me what the chance of the risk is, it's the fact there are so many different exploits, who knows what else they'll eventually find, it could even be something that's simple to exploit.

So for me at least Intel are not a choice at the moment. Hopefully that will change when they release a new redesigned architecture, then they'll be back on the table for me.

Soldato
Generation naming is dumb across all computer components.

1st generation Zen - 1600, 1700, 1700X, 1800X etc
2nd generation Zen - 2600, 2700, 2700X, 2800X etc
then for some reason we had 3rd generation Zen actually called Zen2. So Zen2 = 3600, 3700X etc.
Now they've got themselves stuck in a loop where their numbering is one ahead of the generation which is just dumb.

Zen is a codename used by AMD staff and engineers to refer to a product before release and before officially named.

3rd gen Ryzen is called 3600, 3700 etc. The naming works perfectly. We, the public aren't supposed to be using the zen name. That's just for internal use and perhaps on slides at trade shows.

Soldato
FYI anything over 1.28v degrades the silicon if you load the CPU at all core 100% load. Try to lower it.

this is the lowest voltage i can run at 4.4ghz all core, most of the time in gaming i hit around 65-71 under load, during more cpu intensive loads i can see upto 81 degrees but try not to run such tests for long periods of time or at all if i can help it. If i drop the voltage close to 1.3v my all core overclock is 4.2ghz and no more, constant freezing and bsod's :(

I'll be looking at next gen ryzen anyway so if the chip degrades by the time the new stuff is out no worries just swap out and carry on, cut the pins off my 3900x and place it on my shelf :)

Last edited:
Soldato
FYI anything over 1.28v degrades the silicon if you load the CPU at all core 100% load. Try to lower it.

Zen2 Vcore is 1.325v not 1.28v for all core/full load. And 1.47v for single core. That's down from 1.4v that Zen & Zen+ was previous.

So 1.335v will be fine because it won't be all core/full load whilst gaming etc.

Soldato
Zen2 Vcore is 1.325v not 1.28v for all core/full load. And 1.47v for single core. That's down from 1.4v that Zen & Zen+ was previous.

So 1.335v will be fine because it won't be all core/full load whilst gaming etc.

yeah max usage i see in any game i play is around 8-10 cores being used to around 60-80% usually, its only under benchmark conditions that i see everything go to 100% then temps are a bit warm, but i can live with that :)

well back to the Intel thread ppl we got a bit side tracked XD

Associate

I would strongly advice people do NOT follow this advice and do the FIT test on their own chip.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ejd5c9/1325v_is_not_safe_for_zen_2/

We've seen a fair number of users going into the OC subreddit and OC discord server with degraded CPU's due to heeding the magical 1.325v number that was taken out of context.

If you do degrade your CPU, please don't RMA scam it either.

Soldato
You're not wrong. No one really needs anything but a 3600/9600k for gaming. Most people who buy higher end parts have some spare cash they don't need it buy it anyway because they want to feel good by getting a good score. So yes like you said a lot of PC gamers spend half their time looking at bar charts

It's also about longevity. Buy
Too much Amd talk on this intel 10th gen thread?!

Any decent leaked info or benchmarks kicking around seems pretty dry atm...

Yeap, could do with a mod cleaning up and giving out infractions for off-topic discussion here. People coming here want 10th gen Intel discussion.

Soldato
I would strongly advice people do NOT follow this advice and do the FIT test on their own chip.

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ejd5c9/1325v_is_not_safe_for_zen_2/

We've seen a fair number of users going into the OC subreddit and OC discord server with degraded CPU's due to heeding the magical 1.325v number that was taken out of context.

If you do degrade your CPU, please don't RMA scam it either.

A warranty is a warranty it's up to the manufacturer to prove the product was used outside stock spec. Same as someone who enables pbo and degrades it.

And to claim high voltage alone degrades it, explain why my 3950x idles at 1.5v..because what degrades the chip is when amps x volts exceeds the max the cpu can handle. Someone who runs rendering all day pushing 100% load should not overclock, that's where you degrade the chip. For me just gaming, high voltage doesn't really matter because the load on the cpu is always low.

In fact in my testing average voltage while stock is higher while gaming than overclocked

Last edited:
Soldato
A warranty is a warranty it's up to the manufacturer to prove the product was used outside stock spec. Same as someone who enables pbo and degrades it

leading quite nicely back to Intel, a few video's on YouTube showing the warranty claim's on supposedly defective cpu's one question that always popped up was has the ram be used above 2666mhz, which was replied mostly no, although we all knew it was 3200mhz and a good 80% of calls asked this and Intel honored the warranty and replaced said cpu's. but its funny that Intel would ask if the ram was above 2666mhz, due to the cpu's only official support maybe at the time.

the 10900k has a boost to 2933mhz support but i suspect they would ask a similar question if the new gen chips developed issues, play it safe and tell the truth and no replacement or lie and get another cpu regardless.

Soldato
leading quite nicely back to Intel, a few video's on YouTube showing the warranty claim's on supposedly defective cpu's one question that always popped up was has the ram be used above 2666mhz, which was replied mostly no, although we all knew it was 3200mhz and a good 80% of calls asked this and Intel honored the warranty and replaced said cpu's. but its funny that Intel would ask if the ram was above 2666mhz, due to the cpu's only official support maybe at the time.

the 10900k has a boost to 2933mhz support but i suspect they would ask a similar question if the new gen chips developed issues, play it safe and tell the truth and no replacement or lie and get another cpu regardless.

Ive been wondering this, does running RAM on XMP profile risk causing damage to the CPU?

Soldato
Ive been wondering this, does running RAM on XMP profile risk causing damage to the CPU?

for Intel yes if you push voltages too far. The imc will degrade and previous ram speed will not be achievable it can be so bad that 2133mhz will not work. then you have to rma, setting the ram voltage and vtt? (i forget the exact one but you can overvolt the imc on the chip, its more delicate than amd's imc :) )

Last edited:
Associate
Here is all the details

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/6662363446?pid=131987095399

10900k @ 5.4ghz all core @ 1.35v. Cooled with water chiller, water temp was minus 20c. Package power draw was 352w while running Cinebench.

And even with all that, it still loses to the stock 3900x that has a package draw of 105w and uses the tiny wraith boxed air cooler.

If there was any doubt that comet lake is the new bulldozer, now you know.
Are they using anti-freeze or salt water or what because afaik water freezes at 0c (zero)?

Soldato
Are they using anti-freeze or salt water or what because afaik water freezes at 0c (zero)?

i thought that benchmark was done on a 280mm aio, i did have to wonder why the temps looked off i mean 62 degrees full load thats pretty good, but knowing a waterchiller was needed, just makes this launch more laughable, you'd need one hell of a watercooling setup to get anywhere near a all core 5.1ghz+

oh dear Intel :(

Soldato
You'd be hard pressed to tell this is comet lake thread.

It's what happens when you first announce if in July 2019 in order to counter Zen 2 (get people to wait) and it still isn't out by May 2020.

Too much Amd talk on this intel 10th gen thread?!

Any decent leaked info or benchmarks kicking around seems pretty dry atm...

This thread was originally created and used by some to counter Zen 2.

Back
Top Bottom