Coronavirus riding

Man of Honour
Unfortunately all the biker groups on FB now seem to be full of people going for a ride on Wednesday and it's ok but Boris says we can go driving...we'll ignore the for exercise bit.

Soldato
Battery charged.. Bike washed and polished and Comfort seat ordered :p Not planning on doing hundreds of miles but gonna start using the bike again . Nothing to do with latest anouncement just need to get out and about

Soldato
Daft to expose yourself to a little off and say a broken wrist.. Then going to hospital and catching the virus...

Normally a little off is a little off. But the risk of "complications"

I've told my couriers that use bikes to swap into their winter vehicles (4 wheels)

Soldato
mmm ok so outside of a lockdown everyone rides around like and idiot and falling off. Come on.

Maybe it's just me that doesn't do that - quite possible.

I have been commuting 200 miles a week on it rather than the car. I know this is bad people don't crash cars and need hospital treatment.

Soldato
mmm ok so outside of a lockdown everyone rides around like and idiot and falling off. Come on.

Maybe it's just me that doesn't do that - quite possible.

I have been commuting 200 miles a week on it rather than the car. I know this is bad people don't crash cars and need hospital treatment.

Re-read what I wrote

Soldato
And nothing has really changed, it's to an open space not just "go out for a ride" which lets face it, is what most people are going to be doing. The government relying on people to use common sense is utterly stupid, we've already seen that the general public can't be trusted and the rule changes are going to likely have dramatic impacts on infection and incident rates (car and motorbike and other as more people flock to the countryside etc). This'll then put an even bigger strain on the already stretched NHS....oh but it's ok 'cause instead of money or rest we'll just give them some claps at 8pm on a Thursday. :rolleyes:

Lots of summer heroes are going to be going out and riding like idiots given we have nice weather at the moment and that just won't end well.

I have to ride my bike to get shopping as it's the only transport I have, I'd like to go out on a proper ride, but I'm not an idiot so will be continuing on doing what everyone else should still be doing (despite the 'advice') and staying home apart from shopping for essentials.

Riding the bike is not a necessity for most, sure going to an open space (park, nature reserve, etc) is nice and all but if you have a car, use that or, more sensibly, stay at home!

Associate
Cyclists in lycra are encouraged and a lot of them haven't been on bikes for years. I was actually overtaken by a family on a big hill locally whilst coasting down in my car!

Soldato
Did about 70 miles today nothing mental, infact I was mostly taking it easy other than a couple of blips on a few stretches.

Was a bit chilli if I'm honest.

Might go again tomorrow got a full tank now and supposed to be a little warmer.

Associate
I've heard loads more bikes out now. We aren't to far away from a motorway, maybe half a mile, and you can hear them opening it up as they join the motorway. Atleast they'll be off somewhere to park up and go for a nice walk and get some exercise :D

Soldato
I had a great ride out Wednesday evening, first one since the lockdown, but it was so so cold despite the sun. Very rusty for the first half of the ride, but it began to come back towards the end and it felt like a shame to take the bike back as I was beginning to lose the light.

I'm going to clean out the panniers and air the camping gear this weekend. The second that Boris and Nicola agree on some restrictions relaxing, I'm off to Scotland for a week (along with every other biker in the country!).

Soldato
Nearly 300 miles yesterday, rode out to North Devon with a couple of mates. So many bikes out it was unreal, some proper knobbers too - and you could tell there were a fair few anti bike car drivers out as well; lost count of the number of times we got blocked when filtering.

Soldato
From our local force

Message from Chief Constable Nick Adderley - NPCC Lead for Motorcycling
Main article content
Navigation

News

10:18 22/05/2020

As the National Police Chief's Council lead for Motorcycling and BikeSafe, I thought this would be a timely reminder to explain certain restriction that exist between England and the rest of the UK.

I would want to make the point that as a keen motorcyclist myself, the temptation to start mass ride outs and social events on the motorcycling scene is huge, however the threat still posed by COVID-19 must be respected and understood to ensure that we all comply with the guidance and regulations issued by the devolved administrations.

The lives of our families, friends and all who enjoy the UK as a place to live, work or visit are still in the balance.

For clarity -

Group rides are still not allowed but if you’re in England you can ride with one friend under the following conditions:

UK government advice applicable to England only permits exercise alone, between members of the same household or with one person from another household if you stay at least two metres apart at all times.

All of us in the biker community need to respect that position and it’s now time to step-up and show how we are part of the solution and not the problem when it comes to containing the virus as well as protecting the NHS.

To that end, especially with the Bank Holiday weekend approaching I urge every one of us to remember and abide by the following advice:

• Maintain social distancing at all times
  • Check your bike over carefully when it’s been unused for a while
  • If you didn't renew your bike insurance policy during lock down, do it now
  • Try to avoid rush hour if possible
  • The government has clarified that you can ride to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance so long as you respect social distancing guidance while you are there but it’s important that we don’t see large groups of motorcyclists congregating at single spots
  • You are an ambassador for motorcycling – ride with care, consideration and safety in mind
  • Be respectful of all other road users
  • Do not ride across UK borders unless necessary
Roads Policing teams across the UK will be out in significant numbers over the coming days and weeks and while there is a strong emphasis on engaging with motorists, if circumstances show a clear disregard for the restrictions, enforcement will be an option.

As a police motorcyclist and an avid leisure rider, I know bikers across the UK are, in the main, law-abiding, socially responsible and terrific supporters of our emergency services. I now call on that vast majority to exercise patience and understanding which will allow the wider public to see the biking community as one that can be held in high regard and trusted to do the right thing.

Soldato
I'm going out again on Tuesday. I thought I'd avoid this weekend completely. Gonna head south and end up at Stanborough Park which I think is Hertfordshire, apparently the car park is free at the moment so can go have a sit down, but the other thing is there is a big tesco there, specifically a pay at pump petrol station to avoid contact.

I appreciate you have to touch the pumps and keypad but you can control it, and I e got the one hand fill up then alcohol gel technique down to an art.

Soldato
I had a belting day out on the XR today. Early start at 7am, met up with my brother and then headed up to north Norfolk and back. Clocked up a couple of hundred miles by the end. The roads were perfect early on, but were pretty busy on the return. Lots of police and mobile speed cameras about.

Back
Top Bottom