1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coronavirus riding

Discussion in 'Biker's Cafe' started by Draeger, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Draeger

Capodecina

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. unKle

Wise Guy

Excellent advice.

Very busy today, especially past my house, sounded like BSB at Brands Hatch!

I see someone posted a video of Loomies cafe today, absolutely rammed. When are people going to take this seriously??

3. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Most of that is great, sensible advice. Apart from keeping gloves on, which is madness. Put the disposable plastic ones from the forecourt over your gloves. Otherwise, you're just possible transferring the virus from pump to your gloves, and then to your grips, visor, keys, etc etc...

4. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

I was thinking that about going out riding, be a little careful (not that you go out specifically to fly off the bike lol) but now and probably more going forward you might not get the medical care you would have a few weeks ago.

5. Griffo

Wise Guy

Agree. I took disposable gloves with me the other day.

6. Shimmy

Man of Honour

Was planning on going for my first ride of the year tomorrow as the weather forecast is so good.

But looks like that isn't possible now :(

I know I could make the excuse of picking up some bread or something, but would feel wrong.

7. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

II don't see why not.

Thing is, compared to the scenes of all those idiots out in crowds on the weekend, I hardly think riding your motorcycle, especially on your own, is contributing to the spread.

Hopefully any copper would also see common sense but I think it's very unlikely you'd get pulled over in the first place.

8. tom_e

Man of Honour

It's fine until something goes wrong and you need the emergency services, also we shouldn't be making the police's job any more of a ball ache than it's already going to be.

9. adscan

Hitman

Also you will need fuel, which means coming into contact with staff at a petrol station or others filling up.
    Stay at home

10. b00merang69

Perma Banned

Coronavirus riding

Wear a mask and a condom! :p

11. Rich1988

Soldato

The problem is when a lot of people think like that it is more likely to increase spread and accidents, its just statistics. It's selfish to think we are somehow different because we are on a bike vs a car.

12. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

This.

Sure, use the bike if you have no other transport and need to go shops/doctors/etc but don't go out for a blast for the sake of it...and don't "take the long way home" after buying some bread/milk.

Stay at home.

13. VoG

Soldato

Can you 100% guarantee not to have an accident?, of course not because no body can, & if by sheer bad luck you come off & do some thing nasty you'll divert a helluva lot of NHS resources that are needed else where, just because you fancied a ride.

14. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

15. tom_e

Man of Honour

It's a track bike, they're for holding the fairing together :D

16. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

I don't understand why people do those speeds on motorways, your asking to get caught.

17. tom_e

Man of Honour

It's fairly easy to do without noticing...

18. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Agreed, there are plenty of bikes out there which are capable of doubling 70 mph and then back down in just a few seconds.

19. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Even my 650 easily shifts from 70 to 100 (kph obviously....) without really noticing if the road is quiet so I'd have thought it'd be the same for higher speeds on bigger bikes, especially ones with a more track focus.

Going back to the main topic of riding at the moment. I've only ridden to go shopping (I have no other vehicle) and not taken any detours either, but sunny weather and how empty the roads are is just so nice being on the bike. One thing I have noticed though, I really need to get some summer orientated gear, so sweaty!
    I learnt in autumn/winter and then when I bought a bike it was also autumn/winter so I've not had the chance to ride in even remotely warm weather and my gear is all waterproof with no vents. I'm thinking I'll have to get a vented jacket (with armour) and some kevlar/armoured jeans or at the very least, some vented armoured textile trousers. Once it gets properly warm (if it does of course), my current gear will be unbearable for my commute.

20. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

The seat, or lack thereof, is the giveaway to it being a track or trackday bike.