• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I'll boil it down a bit and not wave ass-plucked numbers around.

:thumbsup: :D

5-8% IPC improvement is mooted along with a clockspeed increase + core count increase due to the density improvement :) Technology != Magic

edit - And I only point it out because there's a fair few idiots on here that would take that kind of info as gospel and quote it verbatim as though it were fact ;)

Caporegime
AMD still have nothing to compete so Nvidia is in no rush
AMD are playing the long game and we are seeing the fruits of their labours with the Zen2 architecture. It is doubtful that they will take the performance crown this generation, but I would not be surprised if the net generation brings a very different picture, with AMD's new technology maturing into a powerhouse, funded by massively increased operating profits and a lot of experience gained in the console arena.

Nvidia need to really start thinking about how the next decade is going to turn out, because while they are still making great strides in graphics technology, I can feel them starting to gradually focus more on the data center, cloud and automotive industries where they have the potential to cement themselves as the leaders and innovators in these fields which will bring in HUGE profits as the demand for this technology increases almost exponentially over the coming years as automation and AI continue to explode. Shareholders will be putting a lot of pressure on Nvidia to keep putting resources into these markets, whereas I think AMD will be able to stay more focused on the CPU/GPU markets.

I think that long-term, AMD have a real chance to snatch the prime position in the gaming market with the solid architectural foundations that they have been building during the last few years.

Soldato
Going but all the current "information" if Ampere is as good as expected prices of Turing could tank. Sounds unlikely but think of a prospective buyer that looks the idea of ray tracing. Ampere is apparently much faster at RT and likely a little cheaper. Now that makes RT no longer a selling point for Turing. If the 3070 beats a 2080Ti and is reasonably priced what does that make the price of a used 2080Ti? Lower FPS and much worse in ray tracing.

I'd say timing the sell off will be crucial. Don't get me wrong I expect exactly the same to happen to the 5700XT, there's just less for the price to fall being much cheaper to begin with.

Caporegime
£1000 is a high end price

Your carriage awaits Sir!

image.png

:D

Soldato
Which is a heck of a lot of money in comparison when you can buy a new PS5/ Xbox One X and a 55” Oled or bigger for a lot less.

Absolutely. That's why expect hardware prices to become more reasonable (not cheap), alongside the increasing competition were expecting and more difficult economic climate. They all play into how much consumers feel they are able to pay for non-essentials.

Associate
In a differnt thread few people said they would'nt want competion from the likes of Intel in the GPU market, what make you think they buy a Huawei GPU ?
I assume you're asking whether people would buy a Huawei GPU? I'm pretty sure a lot of people are happy with their Huawei phones with similar functionality to an iPhone but at a fraction of the price. Premium brands have to have some mindshare/perceived superiority which is why Nvidia outsell AMD. If the perceived superiority is RGB or brand name versus better FPS per £/$ then there's plenty of opportunity for a competitor. If Huawei could give us 2080ti performance at £500 right now I know where I'd spend my money and it wouldn't be to finance more shiny leather jackets.

Associate
It’s also not true total cost of ownership because games loyalties and platform licenses have a part to play in consoles I.e. you get the hardware cheap but games and online services have a greater cost

Soldato
Absolutely. That's why expect hardware prices to become more reasonable (not cheap), alongside the increasing competition were expecting and more difficult economic climate. They all play into how much consumers feel they are able to pay for non-essentials.

Well, I think top tier manufacturers will always try their luck first. Sure the prices for PC parts may be a little lower but not drastically- not until sales actually tank - only once the number of units sold drop dramatically will executives rethink their strategy.

it's also worth considering lifetime costs. If you keep a ps5 or PC for 5 years and buy lots of games you save a lot of money on games on the PC

Soldato
Which is a heck of a lot of money in comparison when you can buy a new PS5/ Xbox One X and a 55” Oled or bigger for a lot less.

Depends on the setup. A decent OLED is still going to cost you £11-1200+ and a ps5/XSX is going to cost you £5-600 possibly more.

At the time of release you could probably match both with a £1000ish system depending if pricing becomes more reasonable. RTX 3060 etc. Which isn’t a huge amount to have the extra benefits of pc, especially considering the cost of memberships and games etc.

Console for the most part has always been quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
September is only 4 months away. So not long to wait at least.

I'm assuming September of course, but CyberPunk 2077 releases then so I can't see Nvidia missing that trick.
You watch, you will have people in August and even early September buying/being recommended to buy a 2080Ti. Then a few weeks after they will make a thread saying they have buyers remorse. Seen this a few times now :p

Back
Top Bottom