***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
That's a good price. You'll love it, it'll have a great finish on it. I previously took a bit of a disliking to relic'ed guitars, but that has changed.

I've had to promise no more new purchases to the GF. As.. well, it's crazy. I have above and beyond everything I need. Normally I can defend my purchases, but I can't anymore!

Caporegime
That's a good price. You'll love it, it'll have a great finish on it. I previously took a bit of a disliking to relic'ed guitars, but that has changed.

I've had to promise no more new purchases to the GF. As.. well, it's crazy. I have above and beyond everything I need. Normally I can defend my purchases, but I can't anymore!

He had no bids and was open to offers, I suspect it’s because he listed it as Fender roadworn Strat” as opposed to Fender Road Worn Stratocaster so he lost some audience.

I’m finally “done” for a while, but I just checked, my last guitar was the Telecaster which was 5 years ago! Found the email (09/04/2015).

Caporegime
5 years is very good! The NGD feeling will feel even sweeter when it arrives!

Problem is I don’t sell anything, just accumulate stuff...but at least I’ve got this used so not much to lose if I sell it. Judging from how few of these for sale, with no current Fender equivalent, the value isn’t going to go down any time soon.

Sweet strat.

That’s a pretty guitar and I’m not even a stray fan! Wish I had that kind of disposable income, maybe one day!

Lovely instrument, I would have given my right arm for Strat like that when I was kid! Oh wait... :)

Thanks!

Fingers cross it will survive shipping!

Soldato
have you guys used rocksmith? i tried learning 4 or 5 years ago using it and struggled. thought i'd redownload it as i noticed it in my steam library. its easy to see why i didn't get on with...
Picks up wrong frets so for example will tell me i should be on the 3rd fret and picks up me being on the 4th. Sometimes doesn't pick up certain notes im playing. These issues according to the internet could be down to innotation but i googled it and it's something for the shop to look at when its open.
From a learning perspective they do a lot learning by playing songs using the wrong notes which put me off. so i've been learning on the fender play app which so far i've learnt c,d,g and a minor so tried knocking on heavens door as i can kinda play it normally but it was expecting me to just fret one string for a c for example.
Think the guitar needs to go to the shop anyways as i get a lot of buzz of the E string and the G doesn't seem to stay in tune. What i might do is grab the cheapest 'branded' guitar thy have in shop as they'll do a free setup on. Some of the squier guitars look cheap and chearful.

Caporegime
have you guys used rocksmith? i tried learning 4 or 5 years ago using it and struggled. thought i'd redownload it as i noticed it in my steam library. its easy to see why i didn't get on with...
Picks up wrong frets so for example will tell me i should be on the 3rd fret and picks up me being on the 4th. Sometimes doesn't pick up certain notes im playing. These issues according to the internet could be down to innotation but i googled it and it's something for the shop to look at when its open.
From a learning perspective they do a lot learning by playing songs using the wrong notes which put me off. so i've been learning on the fender play app which so far i've learnt c,d,g and a minor so tried knocking on heavens door as i can kinda play it normally but it was expecting me to just fret one string for a c for example.
Think the guitar needs to go to the shop anyways as i get a lot of buzz of the E string and the G doesn't seem to stay in tune. What i might do is grab the cheapest 'branded' guitar thy have in shop as they'll do a free setup on. Some of the squier guitars look cheap and chearful.

if you don’t care about this guitar anyway, set it up yourself, plenty of tutorials out there. I can do everything apart from cutting the nut by just trial and error.

Soldato
if you don’t care about this guitar anyway, set it up yourself, plenty of tutorials out there. I can do everything apart from cutting the nut by just trial and error.
Exactly this. Electric guitars are very adjustable. Best to do it with fresh strings though as that affects intonation as well as other stuff.

Fingers cross it will survive shipping!
What's it gonna do, come out scuffed? :D Don't worry, Strats travel really well because they're flat compared to Gibson shapes.

Caporegime
Exactly this. Electric guitars are very adjustable. Best to do it with fresh strings though as that affects intonation as well as other stuff.

What's it gonna do, come out scuffed? :D Don't worry, Strats travel really well because they're flat compared to Gibson shapes.

There is a thread currently on The Fretboard forum that someone sent a DGT inside a Hiscox and the entire neck snapped off at the body tenon!!! God knows how!

I’ve had 3 PRS came over from the States unscathed but this thread now worries me lol

Soldato

I haven't played it recently but... the way Rocksmith works is that when you first try one of the songs it intentionally simplifies the notes it asks you to play to make it easier for you if you're a beginner. So for example it might just get you to play the note C rather than a full chord at first. Once you have repeated that bit of the song ~5 or so times without getting the note wrong it will change it so you're playing 2 or 3 notes of the chord, and then after another ~5 times playing that right it will become the full chord (and another ~5 or so times after that it will stop even showing you the notes and you just play it from memory). It's quite a good system for learning, my only criticism is if you take a long break from the game you can't jump back in as easily (e.g. on my game I had mastered the Muse song on there and now if I go to play it I get no notes appearing, and I can't remember the song that well! There must be a way to reset this but I haven't spent long looking)

As for your 3rd vs 4th fret problem... it won't be intonation as the guitar would have to be totally ******* for frets that low down on the neck to be out of whack (if the string is in tune). I would say more likely the problem might be that you are pushing just a little bit too hard when fretting the 3rd fret which is causing the string to go slightly sharp and Rocksmith is picking it up. You really don't have to press very hard at all - a great exercise sometimes is to play through some stuff you know well but really concentrate hard on applying the absolute minimum amount of pressure you can get away with; you'll surprise yourself with just how little it actually is Edit: and you'll surprise yourself again after that with how much faster and more fluidly you can play if you don't press down so hard

Soldato
I haven't played it recently but... the way Rocksmith works is that when you first try one of the songs it intentionally simplifies the notes it asks you to play to make it easier for you if you're a beginner. So for example it might just get you to play the note C rather than a full chord at first. Once you have repeated that bit of the song ~5 or so times without getting the note wrong it will change it so you're playing 2 or 3 notes of the chord, and then after another ~5 times playing that right it will become the full chord (and another ~5 or so times after that it will stop even showing you the notes and you just play it from memory). It's quite a good system for learning, my only criticism is if you take a long break from the game you can't jump back in as easily (e.g. on my game I had mastered the Muse song on there and now if I go to play it I get no notes appearing, and I can't remember the song that well! There must be a way to reset this but I haven't spent long looking)

As for your 3rd vs 4th fret problem... it won't be intonation as the guitar would have to be totally ******* for frets that low down on the neck to be out of whack (if the string is in tune). I would say more likely the problem might be that you are pushing just a little bit too hard when fretting the 3rd fret which is causing the string to go slightly sharp and Rocksmith is picking it up. You really don't have to press very hard at all - a great exercise sometimes is to play through some stuff you know well but really concentrate hard on applying the absolute minimum amount of pressure you can get away with; you'll surprise yourself with just how little it actually is Edit: and you'll surprise yourself again after that with how much faster and more fluidly you can play if you don't press down so hard

Thanks I'll give it a go if I get time later on. Gives me hope =)

Caporegime
Out of curiosity why from the states? I've noticed the local shop has quite a few for sale or are the ones you have limited runs that are hard to get over here?

Correction, 2 PRS from the states...the 3rd was the red a Palir Titan tele in the previous page which was also from the States.

Well, I got them because 1 is quite rare, I wasn't planning to, I was planning to get a PRS SE Zach Myer but was looking online when i saw this. (Actual dealer website photos) I did a quite research on it and it basically was what I wanted the Zach Myer to be (I didn't actually wanted a semi-hollow but I wanted the shape of a single cut). I thoughtt he finish on top is unique. PRS is known for their flame but this is what is called a Multi Foil. Every now and again someone on forums (TGP or Fretboard) would ask me to let them know if I decide to sell it (actually the 305 below too)

55lbTAG.png

9byYHuR.jpg

3WZJJ8I.jpg

It is much nicer in person.

Im5KpHf.jpg

669OzCk.jpg

The other one was a PRS 305, I got it partly because it was a good deal, I think I paid £1k or just over. I think i was looking for a Strat and thought "this will do!" It's not a limited run or anything but it's a good price for a core PRS. Well, they stopped making them now so it has become limited lol

kCmwA75.jpg

QE03Rel.jpg

@Nitefly had this guitar on loan for about a year, he can probably tell you more about it than i can :)

Last edited:
Associate
First guitar I bought when trying to get back into playing was a Cort. Originally had a 1963 Strat but sold it years ago (regret that move lol) but I did keep my Selmer amp. Cort was an into-priced instrument (about £300) yet it plays very well IMHO and I still have it. Later I bought a Jap Strat in 1963 style - could not afford the genuine vintage prices. A couple of others followed.

Caporegime
Is it wrong that I want a PRS just for the inlays?

Nope! I can take them or leave them but there are quite a lot of people who dislike PRS purely because of the inlays, so much so they would never buy one because of it.

Originally had a 1963 Strat but sold it years ago (regret that move lol) b

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Lovely instrument, I would have given my right arm for Strat like that when I was kid! Oh wait... :)

So that's what this meant!

Back
Top Bottom