LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
The only reason it is included in this panel is because of the heat produced by the Gsync v2 module. The refresh won't have a module, it'll be Gsync compatible, so no fan.

Ah fair enough, I read (reddit) that it had two fans. One for the panel and another for the Gsync unit, but assuming that's true if the Gsync fan is the noisy one then all good.

Associate
Oh thats why i have the sound. For those who dont hear the fan do you use gysync? I use gsync everyday. I have to. My card pushed like 70fps tops with ultra settings on this in warzone. 70-95fps with a little lower. Cant wait for the 3080ti.

Playing games in hdr def looks better but windows hdr goes on and off constantly whenever mltkfications or overlays pop.

Associate
Oh thats why i have the sound. For those who dont hear the fan do you use gysync? I use gsync everyday. I have to. My card pushed like 70fps tops with ultra settings on this in warzone. 70-95fps with a little lower. Cant wait for the 3080ti.

Playing games in hdr def looks better but windows hdr goes on and off constantly whenever mltkfications or overlays pop.

Yeah thats normal for HDR on pcs in windows - annoying isnt it

Associate
Yeah HDR is a total let down, I can’t be bothered with it switching and going wrong all the time.

I use Gsync because I read it’s the way to get the best response from games, I think vsync set to off and frame rate capped to 157fps. Does that sound about right? Either way, it’s on, it says so in the OSD and I can’t hear the fan in my screen at all.

Associate
Yeah HDR is a total let down, I can’t be bothered with it switching and going wrong all the time.

I use Gsync because I read it’s the way to get the best response from games, I think vsync set to off and frame rate capped to 157fps. Does that sound about right? Either way, it’s on, it says so in the OSD and I can’t hear the fan in my screen at all.

You see that is one of the things putting me off buying the LG 38 right now. With the new consoles coming out I am sure HDR will look amazing on them ( on oled TVs for example ) and I am just worried I will see HDR on them and then look at the pc monitor and go hmmm.

Associate
Windows 10 HDR is still a mess (colors STILL messed up/washed out/improper).. but then again why would you buy a 38LG to use with a console?

cause I like gaming on all different formats? Which is what the cx48 looks like will hopefully fit the bill.

I also love display tech as per my signature.

Associate
Update on the noise coming from my Monitor. LG have said that as there are no speakers in the monitor then any noise must be from the fan. They looked at the video and can't hear anything abnormal and won't be offering a repair.

Shabby. That will be the last time I purchase an LG product then.

Associate
Update on the noise coming from my Monitor. LG have said that as there are no speakers in the monitor then any noise must be from the fan. They looked at the video and can't hear anything abnormal and won't be offering a repair.

What if you just send it back to the warranty repair? I've seen your video and barely hear anything. Might be that the whoever at LG saw your video has ****** headphones like me?

Soldato
Honestly, I'd just look up a guide on opening the monitor up. Pretty sure someone has done this already, and the back is just plastic clipped on or something.

From there, replace the fans. Job done and the monitor will now last years.

Associate

hey mate. it is definitely from the fan on the gsync module. i had literally the same thing, also posted it earlier in this thread. it was driving me ******* nuts, i had to return otherwise a great screen. i'm now waiting for resupplies in slovakia so i can pick another unit up, but i'm not holding my breath tbh. also waiting for july/august release of the acer x38, see if that one will be any better.

other that this crazy ass fan noise crap, i loved the screen.

Soldato
hey mate. it is definitely from the fan on the gsync module. i had literally the same thing, also posted it earlier in this thread. it was driving me ******* nuts, i had to return otherwise a great screen. i'm now waiting for resupplies in slovakia so i can pick another unit up, but i'm not holding my breath tbh. also waiting for july/august release of the acer x38, see if that one will be any better.

I've heard the Predator X38 is coming at the end of May. Where did you hear July/August? As it's the Predator that I'm waiting for as well.

Associate

Is the gsync fan the one you can get to from removing the back panel in the middle?

Associate
I've never heard mine and have gsync on all the time, but maybe it's not hot enough in my room. That said, I thought I read that it's always on somewhere. I'm not clear on whether or not there are two fans in the panel and which one it is that makes the noise...

Associate
I've never heard mine and have gsync on all the time, but maybe it's not hot enough in my room. That said, I thought I read that it's always on somewhere. I'm not clear on whether or not there are two fans in the panel and which one it is that makes the noise...

Well all i know is theres def a fan thats not always on or always running at super high rpm. Cause in the begginibg mine makes no sound at all for a while then after like 6 hours if gaming it starts to wind up and u dont notice it until after u power down the cpu

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
there's only 1 fan. if you google it, someone has already taken the back panel off to check.

https://imgur.com/a/vdjzvK4

i could hear mine all the time, unless the monitor was powered off. as soon as you turn it on, it would produce the humm. other people claim that theirs is completely silent.

Thats weird that i have different behavior so the question is do all of them have this issue under the same Unknown circumstances or do I really need to swap this and go through the hassle of it all.

Back
Top Bottom