Who's got the oldest PSU?

Soldato
I've just bought a used PSU from 2013 Via a wanted post on here and it got me thinking about how many upgrades my PSUs have seen me though.

I've got an EVGA P2 1000W that I bought second hand that has powered me through lots of upgrades I believe it started with a 2500k system and GTX470 since then it's seen a 5,6,7,9,10 series card ( sli 780s) and several CPU changes its now powering a Ryzen 3600 Vega 56 system and is still perfect.

I just wondered who's using an old PSU on a modern system?

Ree

Ree

Associate
got a evga g2 750w here and its served me well. think it might be nearly 5 year old i could be wrong though as i cannot mind what year i got it.

Man of Honour
I have a ancient (2004) Jeantech JNT 500AP 500w from my very first AMD build. Back then I knew very little about components but it has never let me down. It weighs a ton and has a pair of very quiet 80mm ball bearing fans, much better than the crappy sleeve bearing ones that are so common now. It's only used to power a water pump when I flush a loop or leak test the loop these days.

The oldest in use psu is in my wifes pc and is a Enermax Pro 82+ EPR385AWT 385w from around 2009. It's getting on a bit now as it is from around 2008/9 but is a decent unit and that pc pulls less than 60w at the wall so it's not as if it's heavily loaded. It will be replaced at her next upgrade, probably when AMD launches their next socket.

My spare psu is a Zalman ZM750HP from 2010 but that hasn't been used for around 5 years now. With it's heatpipe cooling system that was a very quiet psu.

Associate
My spare psu is a Zalman ZM750HP from 2010 but that hasn't been used for around 5 years now. With it's heatpipe cooling system that was a very quiet psu.
Still using my Zalman ZM1000HP since 2010. It is the quietest component in my case. I was thinking of keeping it on when upgrade later this year, but will probably change it.

I've got an old Unix 386 box sitting around I obtained in the early 90s. The PSU in that comes from 1988 as it was upgraded. It's one of those which you can easily blow up your mobo with as the main power plugs for the motherboard are in 2 sections and can fit either way around, you need to make sure the black wires are together in the middle.

Associate
Are you guys powering latest generation systems with these old PSUs?
Nope, powering my setup from when I got it new (in sig). That was back in Sep 2009 actually not 2010. Although I did(am?) think about re-using it seeing as it probably has been running below 40% of its rating throughout these years.

Soldato
Not me personally, but my dad's PC is rocking one of these:

Almost 10 years old now, its had an easy life though. My sister's PC did have a Seasonic S12 430 Mk1 (About 13 years old) up until Xmas day last year, I had to buy her a new one as a SATA power plug decided to smoke & melt during an upgrade.

Last edited:
Soldato
Large parts of my pc are 10yrs old, including the psu.

I've upgraded the cpu to a xeon 5670, the gpu has been upgraded a couple of times, I have added better ram and several extra hdd's and ssd's.

I want to hold off upgrading the whole thing until 2022!
It is lovely for general computing use and still runs modern games @1440p.

My psu actually blew initially when it was brand new and was replaced, but fingers crossed, this one seems to be going strong. I think it is a corsair 750.

Associate
Vantec Stealth 520W PSU, from 2002. Still in the old Windows 98SE gaming machine and powering it (as well as it can, because the motherboard in there, the Gigabyte 8IRXP, was manufactured from the Capacitor Plague era, so the motherboard is sometimes fine, sometimes not). But far too loud for my liking these days; around 45db on average when on and is the loudest item in the system there (After I slapped on some fans onto the GPU that was already a silent system because it survived with GPU Heatsink only, same with the CPU, and then set to a really low speed). And the fact the case its in vibrates a lot (from the HDD) and amps the sound outwards doesn't help either (Thermaltake Xaser III Aluminimum case).

I did have some no-name brands PSU's from a long while ago (back to late 90s) but they have been sent to the recycling centers so doesn't count here. The above PSU is still in action though. :)

Soldato
OP
I've got a 650w gold rated Silverstone PSU that was powering off when drawing about 500 from the wall. Do PSUs tend to fail to deliver rated wattage when they're on the way out?

Back
Top Bottom