Who's got the oldest PSU?

Soldato
2006 PC power & Cooling silencer 750W here... Engineering sample at that. A true specimen of the past. Until just yesterday which is why I’m now browsing the PSU sub :D

it still works it just drank a little too much so I’m going to replace it finally.

distinct lack of Hiper Type R’s here...

Soldato
I retired my hx620 last month, at 9 or 10 years old, can't remember, almost 24/7 use (mostly idle but still).

HX were true legends of PSU's!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a 650w gold rated Silverstone PSU that was powering off when drawing about 500 from the wall. Do PSUs tend to fail to deliver rated wattage when they're on the way out?

They get less efficient over time as components degrade, but it's difficult to compare what it's pulling from the wall, a PC PSU is basically an AC/DC converter so you'll always have an efficiency loss in the conversion.

That said, if a 650 is pulling 500w from the mains, it's got to have a pretty heavy load on it

Soldato
OP
They get less efficient over time as components degrade, but it's difficult to compare what it's pulling from the wall, a PC PSU is basically an AC/DC converter so you'll always have an efficiency loss in the conversion.

That said, if a 650 is pulling 500w from the mains, it's got to have a pretty heavy load on it

Overclocked Vega 56 and 2700x so yes pretty heavy but If it was working as rated it should be able to pull over 700w from the wall surely?

Soldato
18 year PSU still in use is impressive. :D

Got a Coolermaster iGreen 600W from 2007 that's being used in a PC downstairs. Had to change the fan though, as that was starting to make more noise than it should.

I also have an old FSP 350W that still works fine. No idea how old that is though as I bought it second hand.

Associate
I have an Enermax Revolution 85+. Pretty sure it's a 1250w psu from ages ago when I had a much beefier system and i've never bothered to change it. I could probably use a 650w as I have no SLI, so I may well upgrade in the coming few weeks.

Associate
Antec NeoPower 550 from 2007.
It was my main PSU, then went into a second computer, and now it is in a Media-PC that doesn't need much power.
I have taken it apart and cleaned it out a couple of times to keep the fans and heatsinks clear of dust.

Associate
In my work PC I'm using a 500w OCZ ModXStream PSU that I bought new in 2010. It's a little noisy but works fine, although I wouldn't use it with any high end components just in case.

Associate
I've just ordered some c-series cablemod cables for my rm850 (yellow label) and then it got me thinking if my psu were to fail, I'd have wasted £100 on custom cables. I checked when I ordered it from OCUK and it was November 2013, so nearly 7 years old.
Do I move to a hxi850? I know my cables will work with that psu. That said, my youngest son is still rocking my old corsair 650tx which must be getting on for about 14 years old now.

Soldato
I have an original Seasonic X650 from 2009, 11 years old but still high end PSU.

The original Seasonic X series moved the entire PSU game on, if your using an efficient / gold /silent /stable PSU, it's due to those original Seasonic X's, the competition had to match Seasonic or go bankrupt.

Soldato
I have still got and use a PC Power&Cooling 1Kw psu that i bought new form OCUK in 2006. It's only used for benching nowdays, but is still as strong as when i first got it.
My 24/7 psu is a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1Kw that i bought second hand from Ace Modder off of the members market in 2010. I wouldn't put it in the same bracket as the PC Power&Cooling psu, but it's a very close second.

Caporegime
I think mines about 5 years old,seems it has issues with one of the sata cables from it being bent at a funny angle with cable management though

Associate
My current superflower I've had since 2016, sadly I had to scrape to buy it as I was unemployed at the time and my previous XFX one just died on me had to jump the mobo to get it to power on. Wish I had bought a modular one now!

My original one blew up, can't remember the circumstances now

Back
Top Bottom