• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
RT is here to stay. It improves games and will get better. Looking forward to seeing what both companies can do with it. We just need a few generations of improvements and optimisations.

Permabanned
Raw performance at what? Drawing polygons as fast as possible? So anti-aliasing has been a waste of time? And Variable Refresh-rate tech? And all the other bells and whistles that are now just considered part of that raw performance, but people said similar things about when they were introduced?
My graphics lecturer in the mid 90s was on about hardware accelerated raytracing being the future. It's not just 'candy', it's a major change.

Nah its just candy. Doesn't affect gameplay.

Soldato
Raw performance at what? Drawing polygons as fast as possible? So anti-aliasing has been a waste of time? And Variable Refresh-rate tech? And all the other bells and whistles that are now just considered part of that raw performance, but people said similar things about when they were introduced?
My graphics lecturer in the mid 90s was on about hardware accelerated raytracing being the future. It's not just 'candy', it's a major change.

All depends on what game developers prioritise in their games.

The fact the consoles are RT capable and AMD will have RT hardware soon as well suggests RT is what could be prioritised in games.

Hence why so much work going on in to DLSS too.

Man of Honour
Nah its just candy. Doesn't affect gameplay.

Depends what you mean - a proper implementation can significantly increase the immersion factor and/or ambiance, etc. people overlook how much the little touches like reflected diffuse coloured light and accurate(or close) capture of bounced light on surfaces, etc. in real time brings. It is going to be like 120+Hz over 60Hz all over again but probably more so - once people get used to it, when developers actually exploit it, going back to even something like the UE5 demo will look woeful and I will find the sudden change in tone over the subject once we get there amusing.

Soldato
I've said it before, but I reckon that it will be the next generation of GPUs (i.e. 2022) when RT really hits its stride.
Likewise, think from both hardware and software perspective. For a number of generations you'd expect big leaps forward with this tech. Similar to tessellation, although that wasn't as big a step as RT but it took a few generations and now nobody talks about it. RT will just become the norm at some point.

Soldato
Not seeing anything in these leaks that will change my mind on skipping the 3xxx series and waiting for 4xxx cards in 2022-23 to replace my 2080, TBH.

I really can't see (Native) 4K 60fps RT being achievable until the 4080/Ti cards arrive. The 3xxx cards still look like they will only be able to do it by relying on 'smoke & mirrors' DLSS & VRS trickery.

I paid £650 for my 2080 in January 2019 and my simple rule for upgrading my GPU is that I won't upgrade until I can get (at least) double the performance of my current GPU for the same price, and that just doesn't look likely with these 3xxx cards.

8GB VRAM will make you replace your 2080 sooner than you think. Next gen consoles have 12-14GB reserved for their VRAM allocation.

Playing Half life Alyx on my card regularly shows 10, 11GB VRAM usage, on a Valve Index.

Soldato

Not saying RT shouldn't be developed but the priority should be getting current graphics quality working at highest settings in 4k+ resolutions. If RT helps that along then great.

Soldato
8GB VRAM will make you replace your 2080 sooner than you think. Next gen consoles have 12-14GB reserved for their VRAM allocation.

Playing Half life Alyx on my card regularly shows 10, 11GB VRAM usage, on a Valve Index.

Yes and no. At 4k 60fps I’ve yet to see many games come anywhere near the 11gb on my 2080Ti. Even back in the day when I ran 4k 60 with SLI 980’s (4gb) they didn’t run out either and to be perfectly honest games haven’t advanced massively since then.

Obviously more is better but 8gb should still be able to last a good few years yet.

Also on a side note a card with more memory uses more. Your card may use 10/11 but an 8gb card will not use the same 10/11 at the exact same settings. I bet it uses between 7-8gb.

The next generation consoles if I remember correctly have 10gb of vram so not massively more than a current 8gb card and that is going to have to last for a number of years.

Associate
If a 3080 was a 2080ti with double RT performance for £750 what would you say?
I'd say no, I'd want more than 2080ti performance for 4K as you have to dial down settings for the newer games even with 2080ti (e.g.RDR2, KCD etc) and hardly any games feature RT and when they do it's often barely perceptible. Additionally it has to be 4xRT performance as 2x 2080ti RT is simply nowhere near enough unless you're playing at 1080.

Associate
Lets agree to disagree rather How is the goal of creating vastly improved lighting in games "not important" to visuals and immersiveness? Improved lighting is one of the most, if not the most, important visual steps in making games look more realistic and true to life. So far it has been limited by the poor adoption and performance of Turing, but with Ampere and RT-enabled consoles arriving it will finally start to take off and be developed properly. In a few years game visuals should dramatically improve as a result of this.
It's just not nearly good enough yet, 10xRT performance of 2080ti plus the 30-40% rasterization performance increase works. Drip feeding pathetic incremental RT performance improvements won't cut it simply because its still at such a low level and so barely perceptible for such a massive performance hit. That is unless we all want to start gaming at 1080p again.

Associate
Once it becomes mainstream, the 3000 series will be too old and too slow to run it well.

RT will eventually be nice, but the early-adopter tax just isn't delivering the goods right now and I seriously doubt it will with the 3000.

Now, if they can get pricing down where the cost of RT to the consumer is buried in the "noise", we can enjoy our equipment while the manufacturers continue advancing RT as best they can.
+1

Soldato
Yes and no. At 4k 60fps I’ve yet to see many games come anywhere near the 11gb on my 2080Ti. Even back in the day when I ran 4k 60 with SLI 980’s (4gb) they didn’t run out either and to be perfectly honest games haven’t advanced massively since then.

Obviously more is better but 8gb should still be able to last a good few years yet.

Also on a side note a card with more memory uses more. Your card may use 10/11 but an 8gb card will not use the same 10/11 at the exact same settings. I bet it uses between 7-8gb.

The next generation consoles if I remember correctly have 10gb of vram so not massively more than a current 8gb card and that is going to have to last for a number of years.

The answer to your first statement would be the current gen consoles don't have a lot of RAM (8GB of DDR3?), so i wouldn't expect your 2080ti to be pushed to the limits.
Both consoles have 16GB of VRAM (GDDR6 of varying speed), as well as high speed storage, which will help with swapping out data from the RAM.

From my vague understanding of how windows works, in regards to accessing data from storage as well as the unpredictability for game developers knowing what hardware a user has, I suspect memory requirements for PC will increase significantly once developers start push these new consoles (around 2022). I think we will see gaming systems with 64GB of RAM and 24GB of VRAM to ensure 0 memory bottle necks, once this happens.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I recon on pc 32gb will be the new 16gb for ram and for gfx cards the new 8gb will be 16gb vram. This will be on Nvidia’s 4000 series and whatever AMD’s nvidia killer is at the time.

Soldato
works, in regards to accessing data from storage as well as the unpredictability for game developers knowing what hardware a user has, I suspect memory requirements for PC will increase significantly once developers start push these new consoles (around 2022). I think we will see gaming systems with 64GB of RAM and
64gb of ddr5... Not going to be friendly on the wallet.

Don't forget though the majority of PC gamers don't even have 16gb ram and are on pre pascal GPUs so I doubt Devs would set the bar to high and lock out a large percentage of potential customers.

Man of Honour
I recon on pc 32gb will be the new 16gb for ram and for gfx cards the new 8gb will be 16gb vram. This will be on Nvidia’s 4000 series and whatever AMD’s nvidia killer is at the time.

Maybe for ultra settings but there are just too many people still on lesser spec for them to push too hard - even with next generation consoles in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom