Boris Johnson is considering a trade in price of £6K for an EV

Soldato
Interesting but it still makes the cost about £20k for the most part and I reckon that's a lot higher than a lot of people would want to spend. And there's all the added hassle of charging at home that many people won't have access to. I wouldn't be against swapping in for an electric but I'd need a proper charger fitted at home on my drive to begin to consider it properly.

Soldato
Hmm my wife is looking at a new (or nearly new) leaf for around £20k. If the new ones drop that much, will make the second hand ones even more affordable. I feel bad for anyone trying to shift a used electric car if they bring these plans in.

Soldato
The average price for a car in the UK via whatever method in 2018 was nearly £34k. So people saying they are too expensive are clearly in the minority, either that or there are a ton of people buying lots of cars at £100k+ to offset the Dacia Sandero buyers. :p

£6k+ off list puts a Tesla Model 3 at ~£34,500, take the fuel saving into account and you are spending less than the average new car buyer. Brings the Renault Zoe down to the £18-20k price for the new model with current pricing, and again fuel savings, and lower depreciation due to increased reliability and demand in the market place for BEV's in general.

If they push forward with the scheme it will make people look much harder at buying that diesel SUV, over something like a Kia eNiro etc.

Soldato
Thing is, whilst people on here may largely be an exception, most people (91% in 2018/19 financial year apparently) buy new cars on finance so the fact it's still a £20,000 entry point is only partially relevant. The important figure for people will be the monthlies, combine that with reduced monthly fuel outgoings and plenty of people will consider that they can afford a more expensive EV than they could a regular ICE car.

Soldato
The average price for a car in the UK via whatever method in 2018 was nearly £34k. So people saying they are too expensive are clearly in the minority, either that or there are a ton of people buying lots of cars at £100k+ to offset the Dacia Sandero buyers. :p

People who buy cars new are the ones that are in the minority. Most people dont.

Soldato
Is this going to be like the scrappage scheme of a decade ago where thousands of still perfectly serviceable vehicles are destroyed in the name of "environmentalism", do we think?

In all for electric vehicles but if that's the case, it could be an enormous waste.

Soldato
A lot of those perfectly good cars sat there for years while factories churned out the replacements. It was a total farce. I also hear many of then got palmed off to Africa etc (not sure if that was a legit scheme or not)

Soldato
Like with the first scrappage scheme, this isn't really about the environment, nor is it about the motor industry.

It is about supporting the banking system and financial institutions by trying to get large numbers of people to take out large loans at a time when the economic situation would otherwise be discouraging people from borrowing.

Soldato
So, will this be on top of the existing £3k grant, or an additional 3 to make it £6k in total if you're scrapping an ICE?

You just have to read the article :p

It is unclear if the PICG - already cutting the price of EVs by £3,000 - would continue to be available if the scheme was launched. If so, the retail price of a qualifying electric model would be £9,000 lower than the quoted RRP.

Germany recently announced they were doubling their Govt incentive from 3 to 6k euro and that was on top of a 3k euro industry grant, making 9k in total.

Soldato
Not sure how this would help the UK economy post cv/brexit, since we have few LARGE volume ev manufacturers (Nissan only ?), unlike De
if it is part of some kind of reciprocity/sweetener, in an EU brexit deal, maybe it is useful, for trade balance.

Maybe better to introduce grants for new manufacturing + battery production, to help accelerate to full BEV deployment, and shorten this intermediate PHEV phase.

Supporting investment in charging infrastructure, will help economy/employment.

Soldato
People who buy cars new are the ones that are in the minority. Most people dont.

Well obviously there are always going to be more used cars on the market, but given that well over 2 million new cars were sold and registered in 2019 not everyone thinks like you. Also yes, over the course of 10 years that would mean 20 million cars are replaced, so if you are running a 10 year old car then you rely on those people to supply your vehicle.

Some people buy a new car and keep for 8-10 years, this kind of scheme allows them to get way over value for their current car, and buy another new car that will last them just as long.

Soldato
I feel bad for anyone trying to shift a used electric car if they bring these plans in.
Why?
Plenty of second-hand cars for sale and buyers looking for them.
The deal is only on new EVs.

The average price for a car in the UK via whatever method in 2018 was nearly £34k.
Average cost of a new car, yes.... perhaps.
But not everyone bought the same car.

"A new car costs in the range of £12,000 to £17,000 if you're going for a small car such as a VW Polo or Ford Fiesta, while a medium-sized car such as a Ford Focus or VW Golf will be priced in the region of £22,000 to £36,000. Popular SUVs in the UK such as the Ford Kuga and Nissan Qashqai cost around £23,000 to £28,000".
https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-cost-cars-uk

So people saying they are too expensive are clearly in the minority, either that or there are a ton of people buying lots of cars at £100k+ to offset the Dacia Sandero buyers. :p
Or there just weren't that many people buying new cars. Using SMMT data, AM-Online suggests that new registrations have been dropping since 2016, by up to 6% each year.
I've certainly never bought a new vehicle, as it depreciates the instant you roll it off the forecourt.

Soldato
Average cost of a new car, yes.... perhaps.
But not everyone bought the same car.

Really, people bought different cars? I was pretty explicit saying average cost of a new car, and using 'whatever method' of purchase not just cash purchase which is by far the minority.

I've certainly never bought a new vehicle, as it depreciates the instant you roll it off the forecourt.
I would say most people haven't, there is a minority of people who are happy to get a new car, so they are not targeting you they are targeting those happy to buy/rent/lease/steal new cars.

Not every scheme targets everyone, and nor is it meant to.

Soldato
Well obviously there are always going to be more used cars on the market, but given that well over 2 million new cars were sold and registered in 2019 not everyone thinks like you. Also yes, over the course of 10 years that would mean 20 million cars are replaced, so if you are running a 10 year old car then you rely on those people to supply your vehicle.

Some people buy a new car and keep for 8-10 years, this kind of scheme allows them to get way over value for their current car, and buy another new car that will last them just as long.

Oh sure. But that doesn't detract from the fact that the majority of people will be buying used cars, typically for a great deal less than the new price.

(I have always reckoned the "Half Life" for car values to be around three years)

There will be some that buy new and keep for that long, but that is rare. Most new car buyers are habitual new car buyers and will only keep for a relativly short time. Very few people who are running around in 10-15 year old cars will be in a position to borrow the sums required to buy a new EV. (Or any new car really)

And one very big diference between EV's and ICE cars is that when I bought my latest car, A mid 90's E36 for £500 with 150,000 miles on it, (I accept that I am likley to be at the other end of the extreme of course, it helps being a mechanic ;) ) I am confident that it will have the same range/performance enverlope that it had when it was new.

(Possibly even better. I couldn't find the youtube clip but top gear did a drag race between two identical spec golf GTI's many years ago where the only difference was that one had low mileage on it and the other had 170,000 or so. The higher mileage car left the lower mileage one for dust)

Now, I dont know how the price of used EV's is going to hold up but I would guess that they will hold up quite well and only drop in price once they become unusable. This is quite different to the depreciation model for ICE vehicles where old and cheap options will still retain new levels of performance.

Back
Top Bottom