£10 to cancel auto-renew - wtf

Soldato
OP
Did some digging, sent you a trust as didn't want to post on a public forum, hope that is ok.
Thanks for that :) i did reply but not sure if you've seen it or not.

Slight update for anyone :) left a few snotty reviews around the place and they called the next day with an offer of waiving the fee and asked if i could remove the reviews as they considered it solved. A few choice words were had with that offer.
They then phoned back after a while as they couldn't cancel the charge, a minor investigation from them revealed the original agent got it wrong and car insurance doesn't fall under one of there cancellation fees (not that the above site suggests anything of the kind nor the documents i received). Still waiting on a response to my cancellation request via email and complaint. I suspect this is not quite over

Soldato
The trick is to force them to cancel the policy (not void it, that's different)

Ask them for a quote after you have done an engine swap & fitted a roll cage along with removal of the airbags as you are going to be using it on track. They'll likely tell you they can't offer cover, they can't charge you as you haven't cancelled it, they have declined cover.

Soldato
Thanks for that :) i did reply but not sure if you've seen it or not.

Slight update for anyone :) left a few snotty reviews around the place and they called the next day with an offer of waiving the fee and asked if i could remove the reviews as they considered it solved. A few choice words were had with that offer.
They then phoned back after a while as they couldn't cancel the charge, a minor investigation from them revealed the original agent got it wrong and car insurance doesn't fall under one of there cancellation fees (not that the above site suggests anything of the kind nor the documents i received). Still waiting on a response to my cancellation request via email and complaint. I suspect this is not quite over

Don't remove your reviews. Say you will leave follow up comments in your reviews.

This isn't a negotiation. If they want to make it one, then you want £50 compensation for the trouble.

Last edited:
The insurer (not teh broker) may charge if there is a cancellation

If its non renewal then there should be no charge

Getting silly with declaring mods etc could mean its declined, so thats just silly.
Remember one question your asked when taking out insurance is "have you ever had insurance declined"

Better just to do it properly, complain then escalate the complaint

Re the technicality though, if you ask someone to undertake a service on your behalf and sign it then I am not sure how illegal that would be. They could argue they took reduced commission, so passed a lower premium to the policyholder as a result of expecting future commission from the fact the OP was buying a multi year service.

Its clear how little attention the OP paid since he didnt even recognise it was a broker as opposed to dealing directly with an Insurance co.

Man of Honour
Getting silly with declaring mods etc could mean its declined, so thats just silly.
Remember one question your asked when taking out insurance is "have you ever had insurance declined"

They're declining to renew based on changes in circumstances, not declining/cancelling/voiding an already in place policy.

If that was the case every time the insurance companies used by whichever broker someone is under decided to change their policy on who they cover and they can no longer quote on renewal you'd need to declare it, which isn't the case.

Saying that I agree the best way to do it is down the proper channels rather than messing about to force their hand.

They're declining to renew based on changes in circumstances, not declining/cancelling/voiding an already in place policy.

If that was the case every time the insurance companies used by whichever broker someone is under decided to change their policy on who they cover and they can no longer quote on renewal you'd need to declare it, which isn't the case.

Saying that I agree the best way to do it is down the proper channels rather than messing about to force their hand.

There first come back would be you declared these mods for renewal, but not for your current policy, this is what leads into the possible decline state, ie they lose trust in the person requesting renewal. (To the ins co they are assuming you want to renew)
When I worked in insurance ALL polices for personal auto renewed, then the brokers would advise of those not renewing. Was one of the top insurers in the UK, because more people did renew than not.

Normally cancel would come when its existing, decline would come to not offer a premium for renewal

"
  • Refuse insurance
If you’ve been refused insurance, it means you’ve either had a claim rejected, or your insurer has refused to offer you a renewal quote.

Your insurer might refuse to renew your policy, either because its criteria has changed or they’re no longer able to offer you cover.

But you could also be refused insurance, or refused a renewal because of non-disclosure, leading to your insurance being voided or cancelled.

If you’ve ever had insurance refused you have to declare it when you take out new insurance."

Soldato
There first come back would be you declared these mods for renewal, but not for your current policy, this is what leads into the possible decline state, ie they lose trust in the person requesting renewal. (To the ins co they are assuming you want to renew)
When I worked in insurance ALL polices for personal auto renewed, then the brokers would advise of those not renewing. Was one of the top insurers in the UK, because more people did renew than not.

Normally cancel would come when its existing, decline would come to not offer a premium for renewal

"
  • Refuse insurance
If you’ve been refused insurance, it means you’ve either had a claim rejected, or your insurer has refused to offer you a renewal quote.

Your insurer might refuse to renew your policy, either because its criteria has changed or they’re no longer able to offer you cover.

But you could also be refused insurance, or refused a renewal because of non-disclosure, leading to your insurance being voided or cancelled.

If you’ve ever had insurance refused you have to declare it when you take out new insurance."

The bold part is nonsense. That would suggest that if you changed car or moved house and your current insurer was unable to offer cover, then you'd have to tick the box.

The bold part is nonsense. That would suggest that if you changed car or moved house and your current insurer was unable to offer cover, then you'd have to tick the box.

And you would, technically

Its from here by the way

https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/guide/declarations-and-non-disclosures/

All i can go back to is when I worked in insurance (I was in Fiancne IT but spent a lot of my time on large system projects with spanned multi function so I had a lot of exposure to senior people in their areas of expertise)
We (as in the Ins co) offered a renewal to virtually everyone, even people who would not meet current criteria, its just the premiums would go up a lot, so most would move on anyway (working as expected)

So technically very very few people would be declined a renewal quote.

Its not necessarily a problem, in most cases it just means you cant take out a non human intervention policy (and gain from the online discounts etc). It means there is something that requires underwriting to take a view on.
There will be real cases, own a fiesta, win the lottery and buy a ferrari and find that direct line wont offer to take it on, etc
An underwriter for a company that will write policies on ferraris will just go oh yeah sure direct line wont insure that no issue.
(IE basically your going to need to advise what the issue was)

Well it was years ago and Ive made claims since, so I guess there are none :D

Sure, its like anything, being technically in the wrong does not mean you wont get away with it.
Things like that only tend to get detected in really serious cases when someone will spend time looking into something manually.

Ins cos are getting better at sharing info. Years ago you could get away with cloning your no claims now its almost impossible.

I'd be happy to fight that in court.

Technically what that is saying is that anyone who has ever used a comparison site will have to tick the box, because there are always one or 2 insurers who refuse to quote.

There is a difference between refuse to quote (not a customer and don't meet one/some acceptable criteria) and existing customer who has something that means they will not offer to renew.

Back
Top Bottom