• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Could we maybe get a poll going on which console people are gonna go for ? Would be interesting (I think I know which will come out top)

Edit. I mean which ps5, disc or no disc console.

Last edited:
Soldato
As a pc gamer I'm not even considering the XSX, all xbox exclusives will be coming to the PC and I have no intention of migrating. Last gen this wasn't the case and I bought both X1 and PS4. This time I will only be picking up the PS5 day 1.

Funny your mentioned that as I did exactly the same last time and bought both. I'll just be getting a PS5 this time though as I didn't rate the Xbox one. Like you say all Xbox games will be out on PC and in the near future will likely be cross generation with the current Xbox. so literally no reason to buy the series X IMO.

Caporegime
Assuming the price difference is £100 between digital and Blu-ray since versions would you pay £100 extra for the disc version of the system?

No, I haven't used a disc since Xbox 360/PS3 era in either Xbox One, PS4 or PC. Even though digital console games do cost a small fortune, I've had my moneys worth. And I know that if I bought a game on disc and sold it on to make a few quid back, I'd want to play the game again a few years in the future. So I'd end up rebuying it anyway. I am very patient, I am the only one in my gaming circle that has a PlayStation so I can wait 2-3 years for the games to drop in price. Most of my PS4 library was bought at £15.99 or less.

Don
Pretty sure it's down to the high grade components used, i can't see the PS5 player out shinning a stand alone player like the oppo. yeah it's a good feature to have and should have been included on the PS4.

I still can't see how it makes a difference in picture quality regardless of the components. It's reading digital data and outputting digital data.

Your Oppo will likely be quieter, have better software, and probably built to last, but can't see how it's any better at zeros and ones :)

Soldato
Pretty sure it's down to the high grade components used, i can't see the PS5 player out shinning a stand alone player like the oppo. yeah it's a good feature to have and should have been included on the PS4.

Usually to do with image processor and software processing, it's one of the reasons the Panasonic UB9000 is rated higher than the Oppo players as the image processing is better especially in relation to colour grading. That being said a lot of these differences are only apparent side by side or when magnifying the image, and sony have plenty of pedigree in this area so imagine it will be a pretty decent player.

I'm more interested in what hdr formats it supports. Dolby vision and HDR10+ please.

Soldato
I still can't see how it makes a difference in picture quality regardless of the components. It's reading digital data and outputting digital data.

Your Oppo will likely be quieter, have better software, and probably built to last, but can't see how it's any better at zeros and ones :)

Time will tell, i am confident i haven't made a bad choice in buying one lol, it's good that Sony have included a 4k drive will only boost sales of 4k discs and keep it alive and we win by more 4k content released, 2001 4k is stunning for a 50 year old film so will try that first once i grab a PS5 :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Assuming the price difference is £100 between digital and Blu-ray since versions would you pay £100 extra for the disc version of the system?
Yes. I would make up the difference within 2-3 titles. Pre-order cheap, play then sell for same price or even more (coving postage) to brake even or at most lose a tenner. Going digital would have cost £60. Gotta be mad or flush with cash going digital imo. Either that or willing to wait years for said title to go on sale for a tenner, but by then the optical version of the PS5 will be cheap anyway.

There will always be a few games every gen one likes to play on launch, so going optical makes much more sense financially. If money is not a problem then yeah I would go digital as the case looks better.

Associate
All comes down to price for me i have a lot of Ps4 games to catch up on never went the pro or x route as i felt they were still under powered

Digital may be the sweet spot price wise that i can catch up my back catalogue until newer games fall in price

Soldato
Selling physical has always been such a hassle for me. Hence going pretty much digital since PS4 released. Also hate having to get up to change a disc or whatever over but that’s just me being lazy :p

Soldato
Yes. I would make up the difference within 2-3 titles. Pre-order cheap, play then sell for same price or even more (coving postage) to brake even or at most lose a tenner. Going digital would have cost £60. Gotta be mad or flush with cash going digital imo. Either that or willing to wait years for said title to go on sale for a tenner, but by then the optical version of the PS5 will be cheap anyway.

There will always be a few games every gen one likes to play on launch, so going optical makes much more sense financially. If money is not a problem then yeah I would go digital as the case looks better.

I agree with everything you said but I'm also wondering if Sony will bring out an Xbox style game pass subscription? If they were a thing and I could pay £5-10 per month for access to the newest titles then I might be tempted to give up on physical media.

I'd probably still go with the physical drive providing the backwards compatibility is half decent though.

Back
Top Bottom