Some thread about the London congestion charge

Permabanned

http://chng.it/K9DgxvGvQ6

please click to vote.

London congestion charge has been extended everyday now 7 am to 10 pm 7 days a week. It used to be 7am to 6 pm Monday to Friday.

The price has gone up to £15, this is a complete joke, not only this, London transport capacity has been dramatically reduced only 20 allowed onboard a bus etc..

Add the above with the constant road reduction in lanes, making London a nightmare to drive.

Two way road converted to one way road, I seen a Road near the old US embassy empty and wondered how do you get onto the road as all the roads connect are one way out and none going in.

I have now stopped going to central London for shopping and other trips.I really feel for those shops about to take another hit.

I have seen bigger queues for transport ever since the extended congestion times and charge.

I really dislike everything about this London Mayor and his crappy policies over the last few years.

Last edited:
Consigliere
Going to ask the obvious here...what is wrong with using public transport? Masked up obvs but solves your issue of money.

Did see an article about more of central becoming a car free zone...would be lovely.

Man of Honour
I've no idea why anyone would want to drive into central London anyway.

Less polluting vehicles there the better IMO.

While I can’t dispute your logic, there will always be an exception, e.g. I had to attend St. Thomas’s Hospital, Lambeth yesterday, for day surgery for a cataract.
The letter, text, and finally phone call from the ophthalmologist doing the surgery, all stressed that as I was Covid negative, on no account should I use public transport, including a Black Cab, to get to the hospital.
I had little choice but to pay the £15 CC, and get my wife to take me there at midday, and pick me up again at 19.00 hrs.
I stress, this didn’t bother either of us, she didn’t mind doing it, and for the sake of my sight, I considered £15 to be a mere bagatelle.

Permabanned
OP
Going to ask the obvious here...what is wrong with using public transport? Masked up obvs but solves your issue of money.

Did see an article about more of central becoming a car free zone...would be lovely.

Public transport in London could not cope before COVID-19, Now there are less buses less capacity on the bus and more congestion on the outskirts of the CC zone.

Add this to reduced car lanes making it a nightmare to move around London.

I thought people were supposed to be at a distance from each other. The policies above and others have clustered more people together.

Then making a mess of the road systems adds to congestion.

Caporegime
Not signing your link, not that I think it would do anything.

I agree with congestion charging central London.

Same

And lets not forget that one reason for the charge is that TFL was about to run out of money on May 14th, due to the Covid-19 crisis (They get 75% of their money from fares)

The suspension of free travel for people under 18, free peak-hours travel for those over 60 and the increases in the level of the congestion charge were all conditions from the Department of transport for TFL to receive the bailout, its' all here:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20200602-agenda-and-papers-supplentary.pdf

Maybe you should be directing your ire at the Government, not Khan, who was not at all happy with the conditions of this bailout.

Permabanned
OP
Same

And lets not forget that one reason for the charge is that TFL was about to run out of money on May 14th, due to the Covid-19 crisis (They get 75% of their money from fares)

The suspension of free travel for people under 18, free peak-hours travel for those over 60 and the increases in the level of the congestion charge were all conditions from the Department of transport for TFL to receive the bailout, its' all here:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20200602-agenda-and-papers-supplentary.pdf

Maybe you should be directing your ire at the Government, not Khan, who was not at all happy with the conditions of this bailout.

Actually they were not the conditions, they were TFL interpretation of the conditions.
A interview they asked the Mayor about the actual conditions he refused to explain them.
Plus the redesigned London roads had added to the congestion.

There roads that are 3 lanes then after Junction lights become one lane, people get caught on the yellow box. It is a fraud and designed to fine people rather than traffic flow.

Another high street has so many traffic lights there is always traffic.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
I've no idea why anyone would want to drive into central London anyway.

Less polluting vehicles there the better IMO.
This - more cycle lanes, more (subsidised) 24 hour public transport, fewer cars, less pollution - what's not to like?

As it happens, I believe that the previous (Tory) Mayor of London is doing everything he can to embarrass the current (Labour) Mayor by cutting funding.

If it was better implemented but it is a total disaster.
If you can genuinely think of a better implementation you really should be directing your advice at the Mayor, not asking people to sign some pointless petition.

Cars should be kept out of the centre of all major UK Cities.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Actually they were not the conditions, they were TFL interpretation of the conditions.
A interview they asked the Mayor about the actual conditions he refused to explain them.

Rubbish, It's in the letter from Grant Shapps, in the link I posted. I quote:

Service Levels 12.

During the Support Period, Transport for London will work in unison with HMG on taking steps to support the safe restart to the transport system and agrees to joint action and oversight by the London Covid Transport Task Force, terms of reference for which are attached. Subject to TfL’s statutory responsibilities (particularly in relation to safety), TfL agrees to:

h. The immediate reintroduction of the London Congestion Charge, LEZ and ULEZ and urgently bring forward proposals to widen the scope and levels of these charges, in accordance with the relevant legal powers and decision-making processes.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...ent-16-billion-revealed-details-a4454416.html

Man of Honour

You're more than welcome to read the paper yourself, it's the conservative government trying to tank a Labour mayor as they know they have no chance of winning the mayoral election without it.

There's plenty of valid reasons to criticise Khan, this is not one of them.

Why are you driving into central london anyway!?

Back
Top Bottom