Anyone from Milton Keynes

Permabanned
Hi Just wanted to find out about Milton Keynes. I am thinking of moving out of London but still commutable distance into London.
As property prices are cheaper and 30 mins into London, I wanted to know which areas are good to purchase a property.

Soldato
Everywhere in Milton Keynes looks the same to me. I always need a satnav when I go there or I get lost every time.

Man of Honour
Just go all out and move to Swindon, embrace the disgusting commute, and buy a comparative mansion.

I'm joking of course, but only half. I hear Milton Keynes has almost as many roundabouts as Swindon.

Soldato
Yes there is a few of us on here (although I moved away about 9 years ago, my parents and family still live there)

Lots of good areas, some not so good areas.

- Do you have kids / schools a concern?
- Do you mind a drive for say 5/10 minutes, parking and paying at the station?

Don't share your budget, but that will also have a say :)

Permabanned
OP
Yes there is a few of us on here (although I moved away about 9 years ago, my parents and family still live there)

Lots of good areas, some not so good areas.

- Do you have kids / schools a concern?
- Do you mind a drive for say 5/10 minutes, parking and paying at the station?

Don't share your budget, but that will also have a say :)
Kids not yet, maybe in a few years, short drive is ok.
I had enough of London and just want to get out, London has completely lost it living factor.
London central planners are ruining London 3 lane roads becoming one lanes, twoway roads becoming one-way the list goes on, Park lane has become a complete #### up. London transport is not fit for purpose, the people have no common sense the city is full off idiots.

Permabanned
OP
Not at all, London has become a city that does not function and the inhabitants of the city have zero common sense, it has become backwards in every aspect.

Man of Honour
Milton Keynes is the worst place I've ever been. It's a barren wasteland of meh. At least places like Marrakech have some character.

Having spent 2 or 3 days in Marrakech, and visited MK maybe 3 times in a year, for me Marrakech wins hands down, but it can get a bit chilly in the nights and evenings.
If you’re going to live there, try and get a job there, or at least no further away than Ben Guerir, or the commute will be a killer.

Permabanned
OP
Having spent 2 or 3 days in Marrakech...................,..................................................
If you’re going to live there, try and get a job there, or at least no further away than Ben Guerir, or the commute will be a killer.
traveling in London is hazardous

Commissario
I live/lived near MK and housing costs vary a lot, but a couple of friends moved in to the area recently because it's suitably central for their respective jobs and they got quite a good price on a house (much cheaper than properties they'd been looking at nearer London).

Not really sure what the good areas are, but most places will have more greenery and open space than much of London.

Everywhere in Milton Keynes looks the same to me. I always need a satnav when I go there or I get lost every time.
I've lived near it all my life, driven in and around it since the week after I got my driving licence, I still get lost, especially if it's dark or I'm not paying full attention to the number of turnings.

Absolutely no landmarks that can be seen from any distance.

Soldato
Pfft you guys :p

I lived there for 5 years. It's different to other UK towns and takes some getting used to, but I loved it and would move back if I ever came back to the UK.

It's not a place you 'visit' like say bath or Cambridge. So i can understand why people who just pass through occasionally don't like it. But for living there, it's an extremely convenient way of life. Dual carriageways everywhere, right next to M1, near enough to Luton airport, near a decent train station, loads of green spaces. The residential areas are well thought out and generally have a lot of space, although some are better than others. You never ever have to worry about parking, and you will very rarely caught in a traffic jam and if you are it wont be for long.

Housing varies a lot in price. I'd say don't pay less than 200,000 k for a house (maybe a bit less in the current climate?) or about 850 pcm for rent. Generally housing estates in on the east side of MK are better, although there are some west of the station that are nice too. Caldecotte, Walnut Tree, Milton Keynes Village, Middleton, Monkston Park, Monkston, Browns Wood and Willen Lake all spring to mind as nice places in the East.

You have to make the effort to find the social scene, and that was the major downside for me. Rarely can you just walk down the road and find a pub/decent bar, you have to travel to the centre and so often that means a taxi or a designated driver. I rarely drink so I didn't care, would just drive around places. If every evening you want to go down to the pub/bar with friends, then this aspect of MK life will quickly become a PITA.

If you have specific questions ask away.

Soldato
Lived in MK close to 15 years, having lived up north&east and on the Devonshire coast i can say its been the best place i've lived. ok its not a place to explore and take in the history/atmosphere for sure (though theres plenty of towns on the outskirts that are doomsday era so its not completely without history). but for general living and raising a family its extremely convenient and gives good access to the rest of the country.

i still get lost mind :D like the post above i can attain its not a place to visit so i get the bad press it gets but for living in its pretty good. admittedly i live on the outskirts in a little town so i get the townleness (word?!) with access to the amenities with out being in MK :D i wouldnt want to retire here and i think i'd hate living in one of the "estates" mind but for earning a good living without selling your soul to the commute its pretty good

Last edited:
Soldato
Worked in MK for 3 years (get off at Jct 13, count 13 roundabouts and take a right!)

It's not a bad place as others have mentioned - road networks really good, you can get anywhere in like 10 mins.

They have a comprehensive cycle pathway set up and the housing estates are nice and quiet in general, hidden away from the dual carriageways. The lake is really nice too with lots of greenery available.

Still have family that live there and they love it there.

Center MK is decent enough and has all the shops you could need and one of my favorite restaurants is there - Olive Tree, the food is amazing!

Soldato
I live half an hour away but have been there a fair bit over the last 8 years for professional studies, leisure, shopping etc.

My other half’s parents have lived there for 30 years and until this week, like most other people here calling it a metropolis wasteland of ‘meh’ I shared the view somewhat but also that it was a perfectly okay place to live.

Having actually now seen more of the housing away from main roads I was quite surprised at how the Walnut Tree area had some quite large and attractive houses. as I understand this is one of the more expensive areas to buy.

Man of Honour
I was late for a flight once due to the M1 being closed, and I had to cut through Milton Keynes.

Dual carriageways and roundabouts everywhere made it a breeze. I hammered through like a man possessed and made the flight by the skin of my teeth. I could never have done that via any other city.

When I used to work in MK occasionally I noticed the traffic always flowed relatively well, and when I first drove through I didn't think there were any houses - lots of them are almost entirely obscured by trees and being slightly below road level, which is quite cool.

Back
Top Bottom