What have you done to your car today?

Associate
A combination of weak rods and I was running a tune, nothing drastic (174 -> 220) but in the 2014 engines they massively strengthened those rods and they would happily go up to about 300BHP.

Did you find any wear on the cylinder liner? i had to bin my 1.8t block due to a bent rod just like yours that caused the piston to mark the cylinder liner.

Soldato
IMG_20200630_104520.jpg

Polar Blast...

IMG_20200630_105808.jpg

Polar Wash...

IMG_20200630_110819.jpg

Before drying...

IMG_20200630_114700.jpg

Done.

Not my best wash, but better than no wash at all. :)

Associate
Bit of a weird one. Went to the mechanics about a brake thats stuck on and they showed me the entire back brake system is basically rusted/worn to death on both sides. Got a worst case scenario quote for about €900 (depending on how much damage has been done) which is approximately the value of the car. So we decided we're going to sell the car for whatever we can get for it.

I went outside to take photos of the car to stick on the Finnish version of Autotrader and a neighbour asks how I'm doing/whats up. Told him whats wrong with it and then provisionally sold the car to my neighbour for €300 just outside my front door before I even took the pictures. I enjoy an easy sale! His plan is to export it to Africa and then swap it to left hand drive. So a regular 1.8 civic will go from the UK -> Finland -> Africa assuming all goes well with the sale.

Time to search for the replacement now.

Soldato
Bit of a weird one. Went to the mechanics about a brake thats stuck on and they showed me the entire back brake system is basically rusted/worn to death on both sides. Got a worst case scenario quote for about €900 (depending on how much damage has been done) which is approximately the value of the car. So we decided we're going to sell the car for whatever we can get for it.

I went outside to take photos of the car to stick on the Finnish version of Autotrader and a neighbour asks how I'm doing/whats up. Told him whats wrong with it and then provisionally sold the car to my neighbour for €300 just outside my front door before I even took the pictures. I enjoy an easy sale! His plan is to export it to Africa and then swap it to left hand drive. So a regular 1.8 civic will go from the UK -> Finland -> Africa assuming all goes well with the sale.

Time to search for the replacement now.

~£800 to fix brakes on a Civic? I guess they quoted you for new callipers discs and pads. Still seems high.

Associate
~£800 to fix brakes on a Civic? I guess they quoted you for new callipers discs and pads. Still seems high.
Well they did say worst case scenario that the wheel that's braking itself has ruined stuff. Some things have worn away over time like for example it needs a new "shield"(is that the word for the bit behind the discs). Even that alone would be 100 euros for example. It's just at this stage I don't want to invest in a car that also has broken air con, completely shot suspension and a second hand gearbox that enjoys popping out of gear. In the last couple of years I've chucked about €2-3k at this car in repairs and maintenance so this was the straw that broke the camels back.

Soldato
Well they did say worst case scenario that the wheel that's braking itself has ruined stuff. Some things have worn away over time like for example it needs a new "shield"(is that the word for the bit behind the discs). Even that alone would be 100 euros for example. It's just at this stage I don't want to invest in a car that also has broken air con, completely shot suspension and a second hand gearbox that enjoys popping out of gear. In the last couple of years I've chucked about €2-3k at this car in repairs and maintenance so this was the straw that broke the camels back.

That’s fair enough and reasonable. I’d have said you could probably have got the shield cheap enough but would have many finding the part yourself and with the other issues you’ve mentioned maybe getting rid was best. What are you looking for as a replacement?

Associate
That’s fair enough and reasonable. I’d have said you could probably have got the shield cheap enough but would have many finding the part yourself and with the other issues you’ve mentioned maybe getting rid was best. What are you looking for as a replacement?
I need a bigger car ideally so I'm looking at estates at the moment. The ones I'm looking at are Mondeos and Avensis especially but unfortunately some of the decent ones I've had my eye on have been sold. Not really sure what else to look at, I've considered some cars like Hyundai i40s & Mazda 6s but I'm not sure how they fare with age and large miles. I'm leaning more towards potentially waiting for the right avensis at the moment because I just have a feeling that it might hold together better than a Ford over time, especially considering the cars I'm looking at aren't exactly young.

This is the part where I miss the UK so that I could have a little more variety in the cars I'm looking at and get something newer than ~10 years old for my money.

Soldato
I need a bigger car ideally so I'm looking at estates at the moment. The ones I'm looking at are Mondeos and Avensis especially but unfortunately some of the decent ones I've had my eye on have been sold. Not really sure what else to look at, I've considered some cars like Hyundai i40s & Mazda 6s but I'm not sure how they fare with age and large miles. I'm leaning more towards potentially waiting for the right avensis at the moment because I just have a feeling that it might hold together better than a Ford over time, especially considering the cars I'm looking at aren't exactly young.

This is the part where I miss the UK so that I could have a little more variety in the cars I'm looking at and get something newer than ~10 years old for my money.

The Ford might be cheaper to run, especially regarding parts on ageing cars.

Back
Top Bottom