Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I have a Lidl track saw which has been great value for money but when I upgrade I'll try and get a demo at Axminster or similar. Mine throws out a lot dust even with on tool dust extraction and it would be a major consideration for me next time. Also the quality of the cut with respect to breakout on the underside when cutting ply is another purchasing point for me. Quality of the slide mechanism and ability to clip it in place are other things to consider. It's a bugger when it binds or kicks (with deeper cuts) as even with good downward pressure can move off cut line. So with all that in mind I'd be keen to see or try in store to see what I like versus my budget.

Soldato
I did a lot of research earlier in the year and bought the corded Festool TS55. It just seemed to be the best of the bunch in terms of quality, features, price and blade availability/range. It’s an absolute quality piece of kit.

A lot of my other kit is cordless dewalt but I don’t regret not buying a cordless version of this. The dewalt cordless version was way more expensive and I don’t actually have any flexvolt stuff either.

I didn’t spend a loads on the track though and bought the evolution one for a sensible price.

All of them seemed to have some form of compatibility issue or quality issue. The dewalt for instance uses its own track which is a bit of a downer. The cheap ones seemed to pretty flimsy in certain places like the angle locks or have odd blade sizing.

Have a look on youtube, there are a few plunge saw round ups.

Soldato
I did a lot of research earlier in the year and bought the corded Festool TS55. It just seemed to be the best of the bunch in terms of quality, features, price and blade availability/range. It’s an absolute quality piece of kit.

A lot of my other kit is cordless dewalt but I don’t regret not buying a cordless version of this. The dewalt cordless version was way more expensive and I don’t actually have any flexvolt stuff either.

I didn’t spend a loads on the track though and bought the evolution one for a sensible price.

All of them seemed to have some form of compatibility issue or quality issue. The dewalt for instance uses its own track which is a bit of a downer. The cheap ones seemed to pretty flimsy in certain places like the angle locks or have odd blade sizing.

Have a look on youtube, there are a few plunge saw round ups.
The Maffel seems heavily reviewed - The Bosch is designed and manufactured by them but cheaper.

Soldato
The Maffel seems heavily reviewed - The Bosch is designed and manufactured by them but cheaper.
The Maffel was way too rich for me. Are you looking at corded or cordless?

If you are going corded I wouldn’t be worried about staying ‘on brand’. If cordless then absolutely get the one which matches the rest of your tools of you are invested in a main line brand.

Soldato
The Maffel was way too rich for me. Are you looking at corded or cordless?

If you are going corded I wouldn’t be worried about staying ‘on brand’. If cordless then absolutely get the one which matches the rest of your tools of you are invested in a main line brand.
Probably going to stay corded as Bosch don't do a cordless afaik.

I did consider the Makita but there's not much difference between them and a lot of people say it has a few bug bears...

Soldato
Probably going to stay corded as Bosch don't do a cordless afaik.

I did consider the Makita but there's not much difference between them and a lot of people say it has a few bug bears...

Yes, I discounted the Makita for the same reason and the dewalt because of the track. Pretty much why I ended up with the Festool which was on offer at Screfix at the time and cheaper than the online stores.

Caporegime
What's the best mitre saw. I'd ideally like one which can do various cuts and angles so ideally sliding. Is a double bevel a must?

My first project is going to be wooden panelling. Then a log cabin especially the floorboards. Then I'm going to convert the garage and likely do laminate floors in 1 room too.

Soldato
What's the best mitre saw. I'd ideally like one which can do various cuts and angles so ideally sliding. Is a double bevel a must?

My first project is going to be wooden panelling. Then a log cabin especially the floorboards. Then I'm going to convert the garage and likely do laminate floors in 1 room too.
We bought the Evolution one for internal bits and bobs at work - Seems pretty good to be fair, makes accurate enough mitres in my experience.

Whats your budget?

Caporegime
We bought the Evolution one for internal bits and bobs at work - Seems pretty good to be fair, makes accurate enough mitres in my experience.

Whats your budget?

I'm going to be spending hundreds on re decorating, £10k on the log cabin and £20k on the garage conversion.

So I'm not too bothered about the cost of a mitre saw. I'm willing to spend up to say £300 more if need be but I want a table or worktop too so it can cut long pieces if wood no problem.

Soldato
Bosch Glide is absolutely fantastic. The cut is beautiful with the stock blade. The mitre presets feel much more precise less p,at than any of the other mitre saws I looked at the cut size is great bevels on both sides and has good mitre angle width. The foldaway stand is a work of art. Only downside if using inside is dust collection is only adequate not good. This can be modded.

Best piece of kit I own by a country mile.

https://www.axminstertools.com/bosc...-gta-2500-w-legstand-230v-package-deal-717039

Think I got it for less than that from somewhere in London.

Caporegime
Bosch Glide is absolutely fantastic. The cut is beautiful with the stock blade. The mitre presets feel much more precise less p,at than any of the other mitre saws I looked at the cut size is great bevels on both sides and has good mitre angle width. The foldaway stand is a work of art. Only downside if using inside is dust collection is only adequate not good. This can be modded.

Best piece of kit I own by a country mile.

https://www.axminstertools.com/bosc...-gta-2500-w-legstand-230v-package-deal-717039

Think I got it for less than that from somewhere in London.

That's a bit spicy for a mitre saw. I'm a home user not professional. I said £300 and a bit more if need be but if I had to spend more I'd say half that would be the ultimate budget so £500 obviously if money can be saved then I will take that.

It's likley going to be used once a year or once every couple of years after these projects are done.

Soldato
I had some bonus left over one year and took a dip. I’m a home user not professional but it’s been a joy to use. The build quality is so good I can imagine I’ll be using it for 5he next decade.

But it is pricey.

edit: we must be looking at some Lockdown price hikes. I paid £800 delivered 15 months ago. Same shop now £1030 Ouch.

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
@Psycho Sonny I asked a similar question a few pages back and someone gave a great link to the Bosch factory store which had some great prices on open box saws, part of me wishes I'd gone for one now but I fancied cordless and my Dewalt DCS365 has been a great little saw.

Soldato
I have a lot of makita gear so I'll look at their range. I've always seen them being used on building sites.

Just to go back to a previous question. I wouldn't say double bevel is a must. Or at least not from my opinion. The effort to flip the saw to the other angle is about the same as flipping the wood to get the corresponding cut and runs the risk of things not being fully aligned.

I have this one and i've been happy with it. My only advice would be to swap the blade for something more wood orientated as i get quite a bit of tear out.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/1062x

Problem with Mitre Saws is there seem to be the likes of Evolution/Erbauer at the £200 mark and then it's a huge jump to Dewalt/Makita etc at the £600 mark. There's no midground!

If you're going to be doing wood paneling, what're you planning on using for the long rip cuts? Do you have a circular saw? I'd be tempted to split the budget and get the above Mitre Saw and then also look to pick up a table saw.

EDIT - Updated to add that whatever you get, make sure it's at least a 10" blade. The smaller 216mm blades wouldn't be suitable for some thicker woods.

Caporegime
Just to go back to a previous question. I wouldn't say double bevel is a must. Or at least not from my opinion. The effort to flip the saw to the other angle is about the same as flipping the wood to get the corresponding cut and runs the risk of things not being fully aligned.

I have this one and i've been happy with it. My only advice would be to swap the blade for something more wood orientated as i get quite a bit of tear out.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-220-240v/1062x

Problem with Mitre Saws is there seem to be the likes of Evolution/Erbauer at the £200 mark and then it's a huge jump to Dewalt/Makita etc at the £600 mark. There's no midground!

If you're going to be doing wood paneling, what're you planning on using for the long rip cuts? Do you have a circular saw? I'd be tempted to split the budget and get the above Mitre Saw and then also look to pick up a table saw.

EDIT - Updated to add that whatever you get, make sure it's at least a 10" blade. The smaller 216mm blades wouldn't be suitable for some thicker woods.

I already have a makita circular saw and it was a half decent model, trade rated on screwfix.

Back
Top Bottom