Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Check the date and time on your TV. I had a similar issue with my Sony TV.

Thanks. On further investigation I think there's a loose connection somewhere in the wall box for the wired connection - either at the TV end or the VM Hub end as the VM Hub does not have the small green light illuminated showing a live connection.

Soldato
So, Virgin's call centres are closed at the moment or something?
I tried ringing about my bill as I've been billed and charged wrong, but it sounds like they're just closed?!

Call back and try a different support team. Billing is closed but others are open and they should be able to help. They did with me anyway.

Caporegime
Looks better than a lot of Virgin BQM graphs I've seen, still not great to have constant jitter though for certain games although you may not notice it.

If I ping -t 1.0.0.1 my ping is anywhere between 16 and 25ms, never staying the same for more than a couple of seconds. Hopefully it's something they eventually sort out :confused:

Soldato
It's weird because everytime I do a speed test my ping is between 8ms-15ms and jitter is always 1ms but on the graph it seems no where near that.

If you use speedtest.net, Virgin host their own servers. Aside from that, speed tests are based on connections to servers used for speed testing, they're optimised. The connection quality graph is real world data.

Soldato
If you use speedtest.net, Virgin host their own servers. Aside from that, speed tests are based on connections to servers used for speed testing, they're optimised. The connection quality graph is real world data.

Genuinely thinking about cancelling virgin as I'm with my 14 day cooling off period and sticking with sky. My latency seems to he all over the place with virgin.

Caporegime
I'm trying it out for a year alongside my EE G.fast connection. If they can't sort the latency issues I'll be cancelling and I'll sign up as a new customer under my partners name when they eventually get a grip on it.

The download speed is great but not essential so I can live without that, I can't live with latency spikes that can lead to shots missing in games :D

Soldato
Genuinely thinking about cancelling virgin as I'm with my 14 day cooling off period and sticking with sky. My latency seems to he all over the place with virgin.

if you have a viable alternative I would seriuosly consider doing so. What router and firmware out of interest?

Soldato

Yeah, my experience with Virgin is mixed. When I used to live on the other side of the city, my connection was awful. I'd get really low speeds during prime time, awful latency etc. In the new place, I can't fault it.

Virgin connection quality is very dependent on where you live.

This is what it looks like currently:

LdkYPJR.png
IHVDePW.png

Soldato
Yeah, my experience with Virgin is mixed. When I used to live on the other side of the city, my connection was awful. I'd get really low speeds during prime time, awful latency etc. In the new place, I can't fault it.

Virgin connection quality is very dependent on where you live.

This is what it looks like currently:

Do you play many online games at all? I play cod, destiny, fifa pubg etc...and never had any issues with sky but the extra latency is worrying.

That's my connection so far. I've done tests at random times over the last few days and I've always got 380mb+.

Soldato
Do you play many online games at all? I play cod, destiny, fifa pubg etc...and never had any issues with sky but the extra latency is worrying.

That's my connection so far. I've done tests at random times over the last few days and I've always got 380mb+.

Yeah, I play Guild Wars 2, Apex Legends, CoD Warzone, Battlefield 5, GTA 5 and a few others. I always have low latency and no packet loss.

Soldato
Currently on 350mbps broadband only, however my introductory offer is now over and the monthly bill has rocketed to £60. I rang up retentions but all they were able to offer me was a reduction to £52 which is still quite a lot.

I noticed you can get the 350 package for £40 and the 500 for £48 a month for new customers. The contract is currently in the fiance's name so i could cancel and sign up again but i believe they dont allow new orders until the 30 day period is over, and then it would be a wait for a new install? Can't really be without internet as we both WFH a fair bit at the moment and the kids would go mental if they couldnt rage at Fortnite on an evening!

FTTC in the area only offers around 44mpbs so would be a significant hit for us given the size of updates for the kids games and stuff these days, however Plusnet are offering this for £26 a month at the moment so over half the price saving.

Any suggestions or things to say to retentions without them calling my bluff and cancelling the current service?

Caporegime
The only way you'll be offered a cheaper rate is by cancelling and hoping they ring back.

If you've already been through to retentions then you could try your luck with someone else in the same department but the outcome would likely be the same. They've probably checked your postcode online and know your other options are much worse in terms of download speed.

Soldato
Yeah, first thing she did was check what FTTC speeds I could get and starting saying it would be a hell of a lot slower etc.

I put in HO 1Gbps up and down in my dad's flat a few months back, costs £36 a month, a bargain when compared to these VM crooks.

Back
Top Bottom