Poll: British Grand Prix 2020, Silverstone - Race 4/?

Rate the 2020 British Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
For the sake of the drivers championship I really hope Bottas puts up a credible fight tomorrow if not get the win. If he doesn't win one of the next two, it's going to be a long year

Soldato
If you're so bored by F1, why keep watching and posting in these threads?

I've loved F1 for the last 25 years. Always looked forward to the weekends as a kid because it was exciting and unpredictable. There's always been seasons where a team is on top but this is just beyond ridiculous. Mercedes have the best car and the best driver as well as a decent number 2. You can't take anything away from them but as a spectator, it's just not interesting.

I've always loved sport for its unpredictability. In football you get the occasional upset but it does happen - Norwich beat Man City 3-2 last season. In tennis, it's a shock when Djokovic/Federer/Nadal/Murray don't win a slam, but it happens. In darts, it was a huge surprise when Phil Taylor (nowadays Van Gerwen) didn't/don't win, but it happens.

The dominance of Mercedes and the improvement of reliabilty has massively taken away the 'what ifs' of F1. It's sad that the sport I dearly loved just isn't appealing any more.

Caporegime
Yeah there’s nothing wrong with saying F1 is **** now, it is. It’s been incredibly boring for many years. We get a couple of interesting races each season and that’s your lot. The hybrid era has been one of the worst yet. The tracks don’t help. The cars are too fast for them now, makes narrow circuits completely pointless. Several of them are laughably bad to watch, like Monaco.

I’ve said before that I harbour no ill feelings towards Mercedes. They deserve to win, the machine the team has built is incredible. The sport was in a bad state before their dominance began. It’s definitely accentuated the issue though.

I still love motorsport and F1 is the pinnacle of speed and engineering. However it’s not been in a great place for a very long time.

Its OK if you ignore the Mercedes and pay attention to the mid field

Soldato
I think he could, not so sure about would.

Well, Bottas generally comes very close, mostly within tenths of a second of Hamilton, and we know Bottas has been on poll sometimes and won the occasional race.

So if we're saying Verstappen might not beat Hamilton, doesn't that suggest that he's probably no better than Bottas? Or conversely, that Bottas would do as well as Verstappen in Verstappen's Redbull car?

If Bottas was driving for Redbull having never driven for Mercedes, he might be coming 2nd or 3rd regularly and we'd be talking about him like we talk about Verstappen.

Soldato
Well, Bottas generally comes very close, mostly within tenths of a second of Hamilton, and we know Bottas has been on poll sometimes and won the occasional race.

So if we're saying Verstappen might not beat Hamilton, doesn't that suggest that he's probably no better than Bottas? Or conversely, that Bottas would do as well as Verstappen in Verstappen's Redbull car?

If Bottas was driving for Redbull having never driven for Mercedes, he might be coming 2nd or 3rd regularly and we'd be talking about him like we talk about Verstappen.

I think a lot of people were talking about Bottas like that when he was putting his Williams Mercedes on the podium and consistently out-performing Massa?

It's seriously underselling him to paint Bottas as some kind of journeyman plodder, he's a good driver partnered with a great one.

Soldato
Yeah there was talks of Bottas being an up rgrade over Rosberg when he retired. I even remember on an F1 centric forum there was discussion about whether Hamilton was scared of Bottas joining the team!

I think Max and Lewis would be close but I'd edge to Lewis as he has actually proven his potential whereas people judge Max as if he has already matched his potential, when he hasn't.

Caporegime

Bottas is strongest in Quali but still consistently loses out over a season. I'd expect Max to narrowly beat Lewis in Quali over a season, however whilst I also think he'd be much closer on a Sunday. I'd expect close fought seasons with no clear expectation of one or other coming out ahead.

Max is fast, and his racecraft has improved a lot but I doubt think he's quite at Hamilton levels yet. Bottas is simply not at that level; and unlike Rosberg he's not good enough to make a real challenge of it and win a season when the chips fall in his favour.

Bottas isn't a complete turkey, but I put him as solidly mid tier overall even if he's top five in the Quali stakes.

Soldato
To have both Hamilton and Verstappen in the same car wouldn't work. Their driving styles are so different one would have to be given preference over the other in terms of car design, which would probably lead to a bigger performance disparity than Bottas has now.

Man of Honour
The big weakness bottas has is race pace.

Max is incredibly talented. You can see that Hamilton and Vettel in interviews treat him as an equal. Over a whole season, I’m not convinced he has the consistency or calm enough head to win out. Sadly we won’t see it, both him and Hamilton wouldn’t work in the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom