BBC say the N word

Caporegime
It's been turned into a slur by racists, just as P*** could be a legitimate contraction of Pakistan(i) in another world, the fact that small minded people used it to abuse people gave it negative connotations.

Yup, for example Jap, in British English is supposed to just be short for Japanese. In American English though... it’s offensive, like that word... since they have more of a history of overt Japanese racism stemming from WW2 and a Japanese-American population. I suspect thought, like the importation of US cultural attitudes towards use of the n word that Jap could be seen as taboo here too.

Associate
Evidence that he was called that probably got into a scrap with someone got chinned and now playing the race card getting boring now they are all at it now its getting a bit like that me too movement when everybody was automatically believed.

Associate
Exactly the point. Finally the penny dropped.

If its okay for mr A to say the word its also okay for mr B and mr C.

I dont see BLM campaigning to ban basically all rap/hip hop music.

I also hear asian wannabe gangster/dealers using the word when greeting each other and also calling each other my *something* short for a person of Pakistani origin.

This 2 facedness is not lost or misunderstood by us.
Double standards mate their was a white girl got killed recently by a black lad Keeley bunker we don't kick off but when a white person kills a black person all hell brakes loose.

Caporegime
First time I heard of a dog being called that, I was expecting something more reasonable like Blacky but even that could be non PC in this age

Supposedly back then it was a fairly common name for a dog, i used to have a Dog called Darkie in the 80's, with the way my area has changed i'd get some weird looks if i were to have a dog called that now.

Soldato
What's the problem? The BBC have been using the N word as an insult for years now, anyone whose political ideology doesn't align with their own and who they deem to be even slightly to the right is routinely labelled as a 'Nazi'.

Man of Honour
I really don’t think taking offence at things described in the OP are helpful at all. Clearly the intention was to confirm ‘shocking language’ used during the attack in a manner that was offensive and unacceptable. As in, ‘this language is really bad and believe it or not it still does get used’. So I understand why the BBC used that word in that manner.

There are very few instances where white people can use that word without it causing reasonable offence, but it seems silly that there can never be ANY use of that word by a white person.

The most annoying thing about it is that it then fuels the flames of the herp derp squad, who seem to lack any appreciation that different people are different. Men are different to women. White people are different to black people. It is not hypocritical for different social rules to apply to different sets of people.

There is a minor, almost insignificant extent that I feel spited by the recent social changes... which is sort of amusing so I’ll share. I really like the song Break Ya’ Neck by Busta Rhymes and that was on my wedding playlist, but now with its highly liberal use of the N-word I feel that it would be a little strange when the guest list is 100% non-black and >99% white... it probably would be mutually uncomfortable for any black staff to see a load of white people dancing to “break your neck, ******!”. I still don’t really know what to feel about it or whether it should make the playlist or not, but I’m a little put out that I can no longer freely enjoy this super cool song. One things for sure; the fact I’m conscious of it means that times are definitely changing.

Soldato
It's a nasty word, with horrible connotations, but the black community needs to stop taking offence at it instead of trying to make people stop using it. Yes, it shouldn't be said but that has to apply to everyone, not just non blacks. You can't rewrite history, you can't tell everyone to stop saying it, but you can change what a word means. A bad example, but take the word 'gay', that has a total different meaning now to what it used to.

I'm really not sure how society will change unless the word is destigmatized.

Suspended
I think this is more of a case of DJ Sideman attention whoring than anything else. The real issue should be a young man was attacked and verbally abused because he's black. IF DJ Sideman wasn't a **** he'd do something nice for the young victim here instead of trying to make it all about himself as a total drama queen.

Soldato
There is no gravity to the n word,it is a word used many times daily by certain cultures. Part of their privilege i guess.

It's not a privilege. These people were slaves, they were owned by other people in the eyes of the law. I can't even think of a possession that I own that I would treat in the same way that black slaves have been treated...maybe a dishcloth?? Certainly not anything living. The reason for eradicating the use of the word is that it has been used in hate for at least two centuries and represents the sub-animalistic treatment of black slaves. If that's not a good reason to eradicate the word, I don't know what is. If they can't own that word, then who can?

In response to your point directly, there's a huge amount of gravity in using a word designed to dehumanise people.

Caporegime
I absolutely hate this word.

You can use it if you're black but can't use it if you're white? That's my real issue with it.
If everyone hates racism then shouldn't everyone or no one be able to say it?

Its exactly this sort of thing that promotes people getting sick of blm stuff.

Ugh, racism. As a white male I just usually avoid all these conversations as you can never win.

I know the family wanted it said, so it's sad people get offended, but I'm surprised the BBC went with it. They know it will cause a fuss.
I bet a lot of people are complaining who didn't even see it.
Feel sorry for the reporter. No doubt he will get some hassle.

Caporegime
It's not a privilege. These people were slaves, they were owned by other people in the eyes of the law. I can't even think of a possession that I own that I would treat in the same way that black slaves have been treated...maybe a dishcloth?? Certainly not anything living. The reason for eradicating the use of the word is that it has been used in hate for at least two centuries and represents the sub-animalistic treatment of black slaves. If that's not a good reason to eradicate the word, I don't know what is. If they can't own that word, then who can?

In response to your point directly, there's a huge amount of gravity in using a word designed to dehumanise people.

There hasn't been slavery in the uk or US for many generations. I dont think any of them were owned by anyone.

Now if we are talking about slavery in africa where black people are still slaving other black people then yes. But BLM seem not too bothered about this.

If the word has such huge gravity, why is it used so frequently in subculture, quite overtly and brandished like any other word?

Caporegime
You can use it if you're black but can't use it if you're white? That's my real issue with it.

My mates can call me a ****, **** or **** but if a stranger called me it on the street I'd punch them in the face. Same difference.

It's all about the intent and context, and I don't have a problem with black people using it to 'reclaim' the word. But this is the internet and everything has to be black or white.

Caporegime
My mates can call me a ****, **** or **** but if a stranger called me it on the street I'd punch them in the face. Same difference.

It's all about the intent and context, and I don't have a problem with black people using it to 'reclaim' the word. But this is the internet and everything has to be black or white.

That's the issue now. You can't have vague rules. Someone gets offended. People don't read past headlines. I bet the shear hype has got more people companing.

Back
Top Bottom