• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
What you need to do is look at cost per % of performance. If you pay the same for a '3060' and it performs the same as a 1080Ti after 3 years, then you've got the same product for 95% of its usage, except it is 3 years later for the same price you could have gotten a 1080Ti for near the end of its life. Essentially you wasted 3 years waiting for nothing.

Yes exactly why some people struggle with that concept is beyond me. Once you start broadening the price ranges out it gets even worse an example being a 3060 costing £450 and performing like a 1080Ti, cheaper yes but nigh on inconsequential gains.

Nvidia will do what they want to do, the important thing is to go in with your eyes open, watch for it and see who calls them out if they start pulling this type of nonsense.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia will do what they want to do, the important thing is to go in with your eyes open, watch for it and see who calls them out if they start pulling this type of nonsense.
The defence force will come out swinging with statements like they are not a charity, they don’t owe you anything, you are being entitled, cutting-edge manufacturing is not cheap etc :p

Funny thing is, everywhere I have read that 8nm Samsung cheaper than 7nm+ TSMC and they got a very good deal.

Associate
No idea why people use naming anymore to identify products vs. pricing.

What you need to do is look at cost per % of performance. If you pay the same for a '3060' and it performs the same as a 1080Ti after 3 years, then you've got the same product for 95% of its usage, except it is 3 years later for the same price you could have gotten a 1080Ti for near the end of its life. Essentially you wasted 3 years waiting for nothing.

The only interesting cards are priced between £150-350, the rest are an utter waste of space, especially once the new generation consoles are out for those who only play games. Nvidia are chancers, always have been, always will be.
+! Who gives a fig about the name the ONLY metric is performance i.e. FPS per $/£. Yes RT is a good added bonus if performance is up to snuff but without adequate raw rasterising power it's irrelevant or certainly should be. Today/when new GPUs launch you should be able to get 1080ti performance for £250 max, 1080ti will be 2 generations ago from the new cards and while 2070S/5700XT are a nod in the right direction that level of performance needs to come down another notch (quite a big notch).

Associate
Remember we used to go from xx80Ti to the new xx70 card being of similar performance.
Then last gen Nvidia shafter us an entire card going from 1080Ti perf being 2080 Perf. Yet costing more than ever! Literally shafting us an entire card in the stack.

Honestly wouldn't be suprised if this gen the 3080Ti had the same perf as the 2080Ti but we get more frames in minecraft and Quake 2 lol.
And if Nvidia did do that you'd have dunderheads on here arguing that it's OK because...R&D, reasons etc. You have to be an odd kind of consumer to argue increased
or the same prices for broadly the same features three years later is somehow 'the way it's meant to be played', I struggle to understand the mentality or cognitive deficit
of some posters here.

Associate
+! Who gives a fig about the name the ONLY metric is performance i.e. FPS per $/£. Yes RT is a good added bonus if performance is up to snuff but without adequate raw rasterising power it's irrelevant or certainly should be. Today/when new GPUs launch you should be able to get 1080ti performance for £250 max, 1080ti will be 2 generations ago from the new cards and while 2070S/5700XT are a nod in the right direction that level of performance needs to come down another notch (quite a big notch).
Yes, I agree. I'm more interested in the rasterization gains than RT. Also, I'm hoping the rumoured big gains in FP32 are true.

Associate
And if Nvidia did do that you'd have dunderheads on here arguing that it's OK because...R&D, reasons etc. You have to be an odd kind of consumer to argue increased
or the same prices for broadly the same features three years later is somehow 'the way it's meant to be played', I struggle to understand the mentality or cognitive deficit
of some posters here.

It would be "OK".

I mean, I wouldn't buy one. I'd be disappointed by the stagnation in the market, sure. But I wouldn't be yelling about how I should be able to have 50% better performance than last gen for half the price, because I don't know what constraints they're produced under. I wouldn't immediately assume I was being stiffed out of the performance I deserve, as if nvidia are just keeping things back deliberately.

I'd just assume they'd failed to deliver something better/cheaper. But so many people here are convinced that they are being victimised. It's weird.

Last edited:
Associate
That same article (near the top) says the 3090 will be 40-50% faster than the 2080Ti. Then later on it says, "How fast is a 3090? According to rumuors, 60-90% faster than a 2080Ti".

Some fine clickbait right there.
It's an old article with the "new" info added.

A heap of manure with the freshest on top :D

Back
Top Bottom