• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's an art form to make people believe they're lucky to hand over their hard-earned for an artificially inflated product!
LOL. Indeed :D

I think most of us know that, it's the fact that every release he'll pop on here to tell us that the cards are selling faster than they ever have done before, despite the massive price increases across the range.

It doesn't make business sense to be completely transparent with your customers, you need to create some elusion of exclusivity and demand.
+1

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Could cost $99 and come with a free night with Margot Robbie

Mind if I pre-order?

Any particular brand renowned for making quiet cards?

Much as my Zotac card as been solid as a rock if I push it it becomes a bit noisy. I'd like something a bit quieter next round. Obviously I'll wait for reviews but I wondered if the EVGA FTW cards are typically quiet as well as good overclockers?

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Just lol.

@Richdog is the guy who blocked me over a disagreement that the 2060 is not a "high-end" card (which he vehemently argued it was).

Now the 3060 is "lower mid-range".

You couldn't make it up.

But it's "lower mid-range in the Ampere line-up of high-end cards" ... lol, what a cop-out. These terms are almost always used to compare cards in a single generation. Nobody says "Ampere is high-end and Pascal is low-end".

This. Guy. :)

Eventually the contradictions come out when they dont stick to an opinion or wise up.

Soldato
Mind if I pre-order?

Any particular brand renowned for making quiet cards?

Much as my Zotac card as been solid as a rock if I push it it becomes a bit noisy. I'd like something a bit quieter next round. Obviously I'll wait for reviews but I wondered if the EVGA FTW cards are typically quiet as well as good overclockers?

I had a Zotac FX5200 back in the day. I'll never forgive them for releasing that as a PASSIVE card. That thing put out so much heat the CPU and PSU fans went into overdrive to try to compensate. I actually drilled holes in my case to add side cooling. Noisiest machine ever, but only need it for XP legacy stuff now which mercifully is once in a blue moon!

Soldato
No idea why people use naming anymore to identify products vs. pricing.

What you need to do is look at cost per % of performance. If you pay the same for a '3060' and it performs the same as a 1080Ti after 3 years, then you've got the same product for 95% of its usage, except it is 3 years later for the same price you could have gotten a 1080Ti for near the end of its life. Essentially you wasted 3 years waiting for nothing.

Correct. For some reason @Richdog it has not sunk in yet..

Caporegime
Correct. For some reason @Richdog it has not sunk in yet..
It's not correct, it's a flawed comparison, because it stands to reason that high-end performance moves down to lower tiers through the generations as progress is made, and it happens in many types of electronics. The direct and simplistic comparison of a 1080 Ti to a 3060 doesn't take into account the changes in architectural changes and improvements or new features, either.

You also don't need to flag my username like a little kid trying to get attention. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Essentially all the naming does today is give an idea of how far up or down the product stack you are for that generation.

It gives a hint of profit margins, when a 1080Ti was £650 and somewhere near the top of the stack (at the limit of what could be manufactured, perhaps), vs a 3070 for £650* being (a lot) further down the product stack. The original 2070 wasn't even the TU104 but instead the TU106. So the 3rd or 4th tier chip...

*Or a 3060 for £650, which would just work. The more you buy the more you save.

Soldato
It's not correct, it's a flawed comparison, because it stands to reason that high-end performance moves down to lower tiers through the generations as progress is made, and it happens in many types of electronics. The direct and simplistic comparison of a 1080 Ti to a 3060 doesn't take into account the changes in architectural changes and improvements or new features, either.

You also don't need to flag my username like a little kid trying to get attention. :)

I stated what the graph showed and you read it different. I said if the 3060 is priced high again (which is likely) you have gained no performance (over a 3yr old 1080ti), yet nvidia is making buyers believe there is some special sauce in the product. You also don't need to use emotes like a little kid pretending your not angry about it all.

:p

Soldato
I wonder if this is when we see the introduction of mainstream finance options for buying (leasing) these cards.

I say this only half jokingly..

They're already doing it with clothes. It's a Tory rich dream, only the rich own anything everyone else has to lease everything from them, thereby preserving the wealth gap. If clothes, then next what, plates, pots and pans? Price people out of owning an oven and fridge? When they start insisting you lease the toilet is that when people will finally wake up and realise? It'll be too late by then, this BS needs nipping in the bud now but people are too simple and naive to see what is coming if they don't stand up and demand more of their elected representatives - and to not give in to the stores offering this "service" instead of just selling clothes at a sensible price to begin with. Same goes for graphics cards.

Caporegime
I stated what the graph showed and you read it different. I said if the 3060 is priced high again (which is likely) you have gained no performance (over a 3yr old 1080ti), yet nvidia is making buyers believe there is some special sauce in the product. You also don't need to use emotes like a little kid pretending your not angry about it all.

:p
I don't expect any normal and balanced adult to get genuinely angry over forum posts made by randoms they will never meet about subjects that in the end don't have any real significance or impact on our lives. If you do, then I'm sorry to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom