The Exodus has begun!

Soldato
Why make it about race :confused: Chavs & scumbags gonna chav & scumbag regardless of the colour of their skin.

Or are you suggesting that non-white people are less likely to be employed in positions which make WFH/moving out of cities possible?

Soldato
i think covid-19 will be long forgotten in a year or two. it takes ages for anything to get done in the uk, so i wouldn't panic, and people will be back to London

if our economy goes down the toilet , there's not going to be much building anyway , since they'll be no one with a job to get a mortgage to buy these new houses. there's a mini boom now because of no stamp duty up to 500k.

immigration was driving driving a lot of this in the past, and that should slow down now.

just been looking at this, quite interesting. lots of proposals for huge developments in the green belt.
http://londongreenbeltcouncil.org.uk/threats_map/

Soldato
its amazing it took covid for folk to realise they live in a **** hole ,I highly recommend Devon to you London types ,its full down here ,sorry ;)

Screenshot-20200828-163121-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Soldato
Well I'm retiring on the 31st Aug after nearly 50 years of employment, 40 of those years with British airways engineering. I live in west London and can't wait to move to the coast, I actually loathe the place now and I'm a londoner born and bred, noisy overcrowded, dirty, rubbish all over place, shops closing (unless you want a coffee then you're good to go), nobody says "hello" anymore unless you know them, confrontation seems to be on the rise, very expensive, nowhere to park......need I go on, so its bye bye London and good riddance and hello the south coast (nice quiet seaside town hopefully)

Good luck, and enjoy your retirement.

Soldato
House prices where I live have gone through the roof as city dwellers have started moving in en mass.

I don't blame them. I love living in the countryside. Why spend hundreds and thousands for a poxy flat with no outdoor space when you can get mansion for the same price?

Soldato
its amazing it took covid for folk to realise they live in a **** hole ,I highly recommend Devon to you London types ,its full down here ,sorry ;)

Mate of mine has just upped sticks and gone to Devon at very short notice - got a job lined up and off he went. :D

The thing that bugs me if I went somewhere rural is what I'd do for work - I mean I'd be happy to do a menial job as long as I have no mortgage (almost there) and few outgoings. I had plans to make a lateral move but think I need to get out of IT altogether now.

Soldato
Mate of mine has just upped sticks and gone to Devon at very short notice - got a job lined up and off he went. :D

The thing that bugs me if I went somewhere rural is what I'd do for work - I mean I'd be happy to do a menial job as long as I have no mortgage (almost there) and few outgoings. I had plans to make a lateral move but think I need to get out of IT altogether now.
I came down mortgage free and just got a Bakery job at the time with 4 day weekends, after redundancy i just joined an agency (work always available ) at a Gin distillery now !

Soldato
will foreign investors want to buy property in London still?
no guaranteed price rises for vacant properties anymore...?
They will up until they don't see guaranteed price rises. I think the London market will implode once the investors start abandoning ship. It'll look like Ireland a few years ago. You talk to anyone 'normal' (even well paid) in London, no-one even would even buy those 'luxury apartments' even if they were affordable. It's a joke, yet they remain there selling for astronomical figures to the investors. It's a complete false economy, and good riddance to it.

This is true. Suck to lose even more. Hopefully population will fall and most people won't have this option of WFH
https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/public-hugely-overestimate-how-much-land-uk-densely-built

We have more than enough space in the UK to build on. Fret not, young nimby.

Soldato
They will up until they don't see guaranteed price rises. I think the London market will implode once the investors start abandoning ship. It'll look like Ireland a few years ago. You talk to anyone 'normal' (even well paid) in London, no-one even would even buy those 'luxury apartments' even if they were affordable. It's a joke, yet they remain there selling for astronomical figures to the investors. It's a complete false economy, and good riddance to it.

Totally agree with this - the ripple effect it has on the rest of the market is highly damaging and is pricing people out.

I came down mortgage free and just got a Bakery job at the time with 4 day weekends, after redundancy i just joined an agency (work always available ) at a Gin distillery now !
Good to know, I'd not considered that angle. I was thinking I could get a forklift licence and a few other things to make myself a bit more employable outside of the City if I don't have to earn a lot anymore. :)

Caporegime

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/public-hugely-overestimate-how-much-land-uk-densely-built

We have more than enough space in the UK to build on. Fret not, young nimby.

We have enough space but look at the beaches look at the beauty spots on hot days. Absolutely rammed. I'm so glad I no longer live in the south east.

Not to mention the pollution etc

Soldato
We have enough space but look at the beaches look at the beauty spots on hot days. Absolutely rammed. I'm so glad I no longer live in the south east.

Not to mention the pollution etc

yes the tourist spots post lockdown are crazy busy ,just had to pay £2.20 this morning for a surf at Polzeath ,gutted :( (usually afew freebie places at 8.15am ) but been single and a surfer i cant think of anywhere else i would rather be ,literally heaven, on earth and thats after walking across pyrannes and across spain last year (The Camino)
but around my area theres nobody around ,apart from the Camel trail at the bottom of my hill
as for pollution i live in a dark sky park status area https://www.darksky.org/bodmin-moor...l-beauty-to-achieve-ida-dark-sky-park-status/ so it cant be that bad ,i can litrally taste the grime when i visit my folks in Yorkshire ;)

Back
Top Bottom