Detective OCUK forums! Help me find this registration of this close pass driver.

Associate
Hello folks! I had a driver knock me off my bike over the weekend and I ended up in hospital ( sadly no video ), and tonight I had someone close pass me I am obviously sick of this and want to report these people before they kill someone.

Here is the driver from this evening, I cannot quite make out his registration, it looks like a Blue Audi and something like yk07 nzW

https://www.rapidcarcheck.co.uk/free-car-specs-by-entering-registration/

https://store.boxrick.com/close/front.mp4
https://store.boxrick.com/close/rear.mov

Can anyone make out the registration of this vehicle, perhaps putting the washed out frames through photoshop and adjusting the contrast?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Soldato
Too much motion blue to be really sure just using PS - Maybe someone with video editing software can do a better job of reducing the motion smear?

For future, it's better to have a higher frame rate on the camera even if you use a lower resolution i.e 60fps at 720p is better than 30fps at 1080 for capturing clear motion.

Associate
OP
Was it really that close though? Honestly speaking i've seen much worse and don't think there was any intent.

Yes of course, there is never intent just stupidity and lack of care. It is a wide angle camera so always looks further away, was probably < 1ft from my arm if you are on a bike you know how that feels... especially if I am moving to avoid pot holes then someone this close will hit me. Is saving all of 3 seconds worth potential the risk of knocking me over?

A letter from the police in the post even just a warning will make someone think about risking someones life in the future.

Associate
OP
Too much motion blue to be really sure just using PS - Maybe someone with video editing software can do a better job of reducing the motion smear?

For future, it's better to have a higher frame rate on the camera even if you use a lower resolution i.e 60fps at 720p is better than 30fps at 1080 for capturing clear motion.

The rear does have a 60FPS 1080p mode it just drains battery faster, but clearly its needed. This is the second time I have struggled to make out a licence plate, luckily I just managed to get it last time.

Soldato
Doesn’t look bad enough to be worth the effort really. Surely you’ll end up spending hours of your life on this type of thing if that’s the level of footage you think should be sent to the police?

I’d understand if you almost got knocked off or had to swerve out of the way, but that video doesn’t look like much more than a poorly judged pass to me, which happened to me hundreds of times when I rode a bike in London.

It was either an honest mistake, in which case he probably felt bad about it, or he just doesn’t care, in which case a letter from the police giving him a telling off is unlikely to make much difference. I’d let it go, and congratulate yourself for not becoming another angry man with a camera. There’s far too many of them, both on two wheels and four.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about you getting knocked ohh and hope you're on the mend

however I don't think they were really that close to you/the other cyclist in that video. Seems like a normal day riding in the city to me

Soldato
That wasn't close dude.
Feels like your trying to take your accident out on another motorist. I think you would be more rational if you had not have got hit.

it totally sucks that you got hit, but playing vigilante is not going to do you or anyone else any good and its certainly not going to hold the motorist that actually hit you to account.

Soldato
another cyclist with an axe to grind.........

it's not like he was trying to ram you off the road or made a swerve attempt. and in all honesty it wasn't even that close. If you think that is too close I suggest you leave the bike at home and start using the bus..............

Soldato
People probably going to bash me for this, But that's the exact reason I ride on the pavement, Sure it's illegal..but hey I'm safe!

Obviously i don't go anywhere near the speeds I could if i was on the road, in fact, the fastest I probably ride is 5mph been vigilant of people pulling out drives, people walking, etc giving them plenty of space, Never in the 14 years of doing this have i ever had an accident with anyone...nor been stopped by the police and fined, And I've had plenty of police pass me.

How close that idiot passes you is a joke though,on one of the dashcam youtube channels i watch this happens in pretty much every vid, some which they get hit and the driver carries on :( , We really could do with a lot more dedicated cycle lanes in the UK but sadly a lot of our roads just aren't wide enough.

Soldato
Wasnt close enough!

Was it really that close though? Honestly speaking i've seen much worse and don't think there was any intent.

Typical cyclist.

another cyclist with an axe to grind.........

it's not like he was trying to ram you off the road or made a swerve attempt. and in all honesty it wasn't even that close. If you think that is too close I suggest you leave the bike at home and start using the bus..............

Looks miles away to me.....

Soldato
As a cyclist I know that's definitely closer than it looks in the video. I've captured similar events myself and the fish eye view can make it seem that the driver is on the other side of the road, when they're actually a foot away from knocking you off.

It has absolutely nothing to do with axes to grind. Anybody who thinks that the OP's footage demonstrates a safe overtake of a cyclist, really needs to learn how to do it properly and safely.
2. Overtaking (162 to 169)
Before overtaking you should make sure
  • the road is sufficiently clear ahead
  • road users are not beginning to overtake you
  • there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake.

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
  • not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
  • take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
  • give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
  • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 213 and 214 to 215).

Out of interest, what cameras are you using? I'd invest in a better camera for low light, especially with darker nights rapidly coming in.

Man of Honour
It's closer than it should be. There should be a 1.5m gap between the cyclist and the vehicle and it looks more like 1m.

With that said, no police action will be taken considering the footage; not even a warning letter. I think you'll have to let this one go.

Soldato
Audi driver is an idiot, driving too fast and the overtaking move just to get in front of the silver car before it goes into one lane, clearly had his mind on getting in front of as many cars as possible without thinking of other road users like yourself, I would just forget about it though, as said police are busy enough, and I can't see them taking any action.
Sadly there is a lot of idiots like this on the road.

Caporegime
Sorry to hear you got hit, but that little encounter is just par for the course sadly. I'm guilty of passing cyclists like that myself rather frequently (distance wise, I never put a cyclist at risk obvs).

Back
Top Bottom