Crusader Kings 3 - Paradox Interactive

Caporegime
is there any point to this if you already played ck2 for like a thousand hours?

is it different enough it won't just seem mostly the same with a different UI

Associate
I'd also like to know how much content this game would be lacking, compared to CK2 with all the DLC. Although it's unfair to compare a new release to a game which has been out and had DLC released since 2012.

Caporegime
I'd also like to know how much content this game would be lacking, compared to CK2 with all the DLC. Although it's unfair to compare a new release to a game which has been out and had DLC released since 2012.
I don't really care if some content is lacking because there's no insane amount of DLC yet or good mods.

but if it's basically the same game reskinned I would probably get bored in a few hours.

how good is the AI? is combat better?

Soldato
I'm giving this a go, wasn't sure it was my thing. Still not sure!

It makes my PC quite loud so I used Afterburner to limit it to 30fps as I don't need it running at 144! Just checking this doesn't affect time in game does it?

I noticed it's also only using one thread of my 3700X :(

Not really sure what I am doing. I think I will send my ruler on a pilgrimage...

Caporegime
why would it affect game time people learn not to tie physics and stuff to fps ages ago.

there was an RTS around 2006 where they didn't get the memo and people with faster cpus had impossible AI because nothing restricted the speed of the AI apart from the CPUs limitations

Man of Honour
I've opted to start as the Cheiftain of the Faroe Islands and am having lots of fun up there north of Scotland, have brought the Orkneys and the Shetlands into my Jarldom and have just married my daughter off to the grandson of Ragnar Lothbrok. Next I plan to turn my attention to taking Iceland and becoming Lord of the Frozen North :)

Soldato
Tutorial + tooltips :)

This. The tutorial doesn't tell you everything - I don't think it tells you how to set rally points, which is a very important thing, and you're not told how succession works until you actually die - but it will teach you the very basics of acquiring territory and alliances. It also gives you a huge initial boost of money, prestige and holding improvements and you start as Catholic so you can get Pope gold too. I would recommend playing only until you fully form Ireland and then a bit longer to work out how to expand onto the mainland. Then, restart and try playing Murchad again from his normal start as an Insular Christian. You should still be able to form Ireland without too much trouble, but it will probably take most of Murchad's life to reach the point where your kingdom and permitted two Duchies are Tanist instead of 5-10 years.

Soldato
OP
This. The tutorial doesn't tell you everything - I don't think it tells you how to set rally points, which is a very important thing, and you're not told how succession works until you actually die - but it will teach you the very basics of acquiring territory and alliances. It also gives you a huge initial boost of money, prestige and holding improvements and you start as Catholic so you can get Pope gold too. I would recommend playing only until you fully form Ireland and then a bit longer to work out how to expand onto the mainland. Then, restart and try playing Murchad again from his normal start as an Insular Christian. You should still be able to form Ireland without too much trouble, but it will probably take most of Murchad's life to reach the point where your kingdom and permitted two Duchies are Tanist instead of 5-10 years.

I've got a reasonably decent handle on things but I am very confused by the tanistry succession.

When I first played from the 867 start I was doing really well, then I took the decision to make the Kingdom of Ireland tanist.

After that it all fell apart, I no longer inherited by primary duchy/county titles properly, and each new ruler I had would see me some place new, with factions popping up all the time.

On my next game I avoided tanist, but flipped to feudalism when I could, and then proceeded to go bankrupt. Apparently when flipping to Feudalism you need a good chunk of cash saved up to buy the upgrades for holdings as everything is reset building wise, and men-at-arms are now costing gold instead of prestige.

On my 3rd one I was killed off and the new king then did the tanist decision lol! I managed to get the kingdom title back but revoked the law to make it tanist.

What is the best way to use tanistry? do I need to add tanistry to my duchy title as well as the kingdom one? will that mean that the successive primary heirs always get both?

At least with the default law I was mostly able to gain some power back by keeping the duchy of Munster and revoking the two counties that split off under me every new succession with fabricated claims.

Soldato
Anybody else really struggling to quickly see alliances and also look after their realm? I get confused when people within my realm start having wars with eachother and there isn't anything I can do.

Soldato
Anybody else really struggling to quickly see alliances and also look after their realm? I get confused when people within my realm start having wars with eachother and there isn't anything I can do.

You can raise the Crown authority to stop your vassals fighting each other. And raise it more to stop them fighting outside your realm too. Alliances are on your played chars main page but I don't think you mean that?? Do you mean something more like a map mode?? (which I agree with)

Soldato
You can raise the Crown authority to stop your vassals fighting each other. And raise it more to stop them fighting outside your realm too. Alliances are on your played chars main page but I don't think you mean that?? Do you mean something more like a map mode?? (which I agree with)

Yes a map mode with different colours such as blue for alliances etc, like EU4.

How do you raise crown authority?

Soldato
^^^ Under Realm, the row of crown icons at the top.

What is the best way to use tanistry? do I need to add tanistry to my duchy title as well as the kingdom one? will that mean that the successive primary heirs always get both?

If Ireland is tanist then the kingdom title will always be given to an elected member of your dynasty. However, if all your other titles are in Partition then they will be distributed among your heirs. This includes all your duchy-level titles - all you will keep is your personal county plus the kingship. So you will want to change at least your best duchy and possibly one other to Tanistry as well; this costs 1500 Prestige each, so it will need some effort.

But that still doesn't mean your primary heir will get it all. He also has to win the elections. At duchy level this is typically quite easy, as there usually isn't more than one or two other electors and if you can gain control of the counties you'll pretty much be able to dictate who the heir is. At kingdom level it's trickier because your direct vassals and all the dukes get to vote, along with the head of the dynasty. Ideally you always want to be playing as the dynasty head - this gives you at least 5 vote strength with your kingdom and duchy, and your heir will also vote for himself if he holds land. For that reason it's a good idea when you get old to grant at least one duchy to your desired heir and preferably both of them. Then, if the kingdom election doesn't go the way you want, your next ruler can select the same heir and that heir will probably be his most powerful vassal.

One last important thing to note is that the head of the dynasty title doesn't follow your kingdom title. If your heir is not also the dynastic heir, and you can't murder people until he is, then it may be worth starting a cadet branch.

Back
Top Bottom