Crusader Kings 3 - Paradox Interactive

Soldato
I've spent a lot of time in Paradox games, so I am very much looking forward to this one!

The only thing I think I'd like more from them would be EU5.

Announcement trailer:

Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158310/Crusader_Kings_III/

YYltqz4.jpg

bX0YlK7.jpg

cGerbW8.jpg

HiJsp1M.jpg

Release date: 2020 (so probably late 2020).

They would be suicidal to release this as an Epic exclusive, currently it's saying Steam and XBox Game Pass.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've spent a lot of time in Paradox games, so I am very much looking forward to this one!

The only thing I think I'd like more from them would be EU5.

Announcement trailer:

Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158310/Crusader_Kings_III/

YYltqz4.jpg

bX0YlK7.jpg

cGerbW8.jpg

HiJsp1M.jpg

Release date: 2020 (so probably late 2020).

They would be suicidal to release this as an Epic exclusive, currently it's saying Steam and XBox Game Pass.

PDX has own shop also and the deal with MS Store is a lot of money without alienating the base.

On other news, CK3 and first video is about killing babies muahahaha :D

Had all evening last night rub it in on several reddit users who for the last one week were "there is no CK3". Even if PDX has left all the clues. :D

Btw I will ask Johan in person on the EU4 lan party in 3 weeks if I can be alpha tester signing any NDA they want :D

Soldato
OP
Yep I'm happy with the Xbox side of things along with Steam release. I actually have Xbox ultimate until August 2022 as well which helps :D

Hopefully this one does well, Imperator was a bit of a let-down on release, if they take the lessons learnt from that one onto this release, it should be in a better state.

I think a lot of people forget that Steam allows devs to generate steam keys, and sell them for a 0% cut, as long as the game is also sold directly via Steam.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep I'm happy with the Xbox side of things along with Steam release. I actually have Xbox ultimate until August 2022 as well which helps :D

Hopefully this one does well, Imperator was a bit of a let-down on release, if they take the lessons learnt from that one onto this release, it should be in a better state.

I think a lot of people forget that Steam allows devs to generate steam keys, and sell them for a 0% cut, as long as the game is also sold directly via Steam.

Now you mentioned Imperator. Today on the presentation was said that Imperator borrowed the CK3 engine. CK3 development is ongoing for years already, before I:R even was an idea let alone a scheduled game.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Now you mentioned Imperator. Today on the presentation was said that Imperator borrowed the CK3 engine. CK3 development is ongoing for years already, before I:R even was an idea let alone a scheduled game.

Yes I expect so, although the release of Imperator has hopefully opened some eyes to the fact they need to garner better player feedback.

The release of Surviving the Aftermath is tagged as early access, and is an Epic exclusive. I don't agree with doing that, but they may take less flack if they released in early access on Steam with the specific goal of getting some player feedback in to help improve the actual release.

Soldato
Yes I expect so, although the release of Imperator has hopefully opened some eyes to the fact they need to garner better player feedback.

The release of Surviving the Aftermath is tagged as early access, and is an Epic exclusive. I don't agree with doing that, but they may take less flack if they released in early access on Steam with the specific goal of getting some player feedback in to help improve the actual release.

However different designers and teams are involved. CK3 is make by Henrik (CK2 developer and caretaker the last 6 years), Imperator was made by Johan.
Who today said that until now thought he could make a game as he wanted it because he knew best. And tbh I understand him having make HOI3, Vicky 2, CK2, EU4, Stellaris, HOI4 on the trot all great successes.

Though Imperator post Cicero is a great game worthy to it's legacy. And have no doubt the other teams learned from Imperator release a great deal so same mistakes won't occur.

Soldato
Vicky community

It should have opened their eyes to listening to the feedback they were getting during development, they were given feedback and they chose to ignore it. It's the community that have since 'fixed' IR really. On top of making the wrong game and ignoring feedback, it was also rushed out the door. I doubt they'll make the same errors again, this isn't Ubisoft/Blizzard/Bethesda/EA/Activision etc who wilfully make the games they want made and completely ignore the wishes of their own audience as all they're interested in selling cookie cutter platforms for micro-transactions. PDS get bashed for their DLC policy etc but at least there's some soul going into their products.

That said, I won't pre-order CKIII as revenge for pre-ordering IR!

Soldato
OP
Vicky community

It should have opened their eyes to listening to the feedback they were getting during development, they were given feedback and they chose to ignore it. It's the community that have since 'fixed' IR really. On top of making the wrong game and ignoring feedback, it was also rushed out the door. I doubt they'll make the same errors again, this isn't Ubisoft/Blizzard/Bethesda/EA/Activision etc who wilfully make the games they want made and completely ignore the wishes of their own audience as all they're interested in selling cookie cutter platforms for micro-transactions. PDS get bashed for their DLC policy etc but at least there's some soul going into their products.

That said, I won't pre-order CKIII as revenge for pre-ordering IR!

It will be on game pass too, so could be a cheap way of checking out if you actually enjoy it before putting down the cash.

Soldato
It will be on game pass too, so could be a cheap way of checking out if you actually enjoy it before putting down the cash.

Yeah, I haven't got GP yet but I'm considering it, so much backlog already...I haven't really played CKII that much yet.

I've put EUIV away until the European expansion next year, some on the forums think that might be it for EUIV, which is probably fair enough.

Soldato
Can play as Crusaders, but the Crusader battle cry of 'Deus Vult' is being omitted because of reasons.

a) Deus Vult was on 2 events firing for Catholic countries only, over the best part of 6 1/2 years. And the "cry" was added last year on the Holly Fury DLC. So nothing will be missed.

b) CK2 over the years has attracted an altright toxic community, generating pretty offensive and racist content using CK2.

c) Unfortunately we are all responsible having left SJW fascists running wild instead of shutting them down.
When Holly Fury DLC came out, the complains from the SJW blogs were so many that many media in various countries started making news, resembling the whole game as a cultural game of hate and Islamophobia.
Last thing a company needs is negative news like these, especially given the the game mechanics and many are surprised about the video and such "politically incorrect" game is coming out in 2020.

Unfortunately we do not live in 2012 any more and we are responsible for having given up our freedoms piece by piece.
Similar pattern we see on Extinction Rebellion atm. We laugh at them, yet their manifesto (worth to read it) is taken seriously by governments and is backed by banks and corporations having influence and smelling the money that we as consumers and tax payers will hand to them. When at the same time we lose out freedoms. Yet we do nothing.
If tomorrow the government comes out and bans private ownership of any kind of vehicle, imposing veganism and electricity rationing you will complain? If so, why you do not do anything against the XR fascists today before is too late?

You might thing this isn't related but it is in the world we live today.

Soldato
OP
I dunno I hope they can stay above modern day politics, this is a medieval simulator where a lot of stuff you can do has no place in modern society, but if they keep true to the time period then I don't see a problem with including things that SJW's would find offensive today.

Soldato
I dunno I hope they can stay above modern day politics, this is a medieval simulator where a lot of stuff you can do has no place in modern society, but if they keep true to the time period then I don't see a problem with including things that SJW's would find offensive today.

True.
---------------------------
Some sharp people picked up that Johan said some time ago, that Project Dallas was actually Project Titus which was in development for several years. Today it was revealed that Project Titus is actually CK3.
Under EACEA/6/2015 the EU gave to PDX €150,000 grand (for making the game in EU) for Project Dallas (effectively CK3) all way back in 2016!!!!

https://eacea.ec.europa.eu/sites/eacea-site/files/publication-of-results-dev-vg-2015.pdf

FYI the other known game that got EU grand on the same period for been made in the EU was Witcher 3!
(I have no clue what the other games are from the list above)

Soldato
Really wanted to like ck2 but was too daft to understand how to play it. I wonder if ck3 will be more easier as it will be rather bare bones without the 100s of dlcs to make it more complicated.

Soldato
Really wanted to like ck2 but was too daft to understand how to play it. I wonder if ck3 will be more easier as it will be rather bare bones without the 100s of dlcs to make it more complicated.

You can play the base CK2 game for free, without DLCs.....
As for CK3 from what we were told yesterday, has many of the mechanics from CK2+dlcs but not everything.

Soldato
You can play the base CK2 game for free, without DLCs.....
As for CK3 from what we were told yesterday, has many of the mechanics from CK2+dlcs but not everything.

Just read a preview they are making it more beginner friendly with helpful suggestions on what to do next and a tutorial as well.

Soldato
Just read a preview they are making it more beginner friendly with helpful suggestions on what to do next and a tutorial as well.

Ah yea tutorial. In CK2 the tutorial takes place in Asturias (Spain) and you lose the war supposed to win :D
Best tutorial for CK2 is play in Ireland (Dublin the easy mode also) and everyone knows it. Even paradox who going to place the next tutorial in Ireland :D

Trust me for years was put off by CK2 and EU4. But not since 2016 when I did decided to play as people advised. Sure you will lose your first game, the second, the third. But as you lean mechanics about marriages and war you get your head around.
Picking one of the big rulers is a nightmare for new players. Similar to EU4. My go do "tutorial" place, is Castile, but learned more tricks while playing as Burgundy and Holland.

And you must not forget. CK2 is not a strategy game of your country. Is strategy/RPG game for your family and each character you have ruller. Is not about expansion through warfare (outside Ireland), but cunning, assassinations and inheritance.

Soldato

Noob Island is a great suggestion, that's where to start.

Play around with CKII for free, watch a few YT guides although many feature DLC's, which doesn't help you much, you should be able to work whether CK will be for you at all, most importantly in the meantime get yourself over to the PDS forums, that's the best place to learn about the game. There's a CKII forum and a new CKIII forum, and there will be loads of dev diaries etc while III is in development. If you like II and you can pick up a few of the better DLC's on the cheap (they gave me 'The Old Gods' free yesterday :D ) that's an option, all DLC is on 50% right now at least on STEAM. Not sure I'd be investing too much in II now though, but that's up to you. You might find the RPG style of CK isn't for you, it's very different from EU.

Definitely follow III through development though that will be best way to learn the game.

Back
Top Bottom