People selling clocked cars - busted! Update 2.

Soldato
It's getting easier if anything. Making everything digital and interconnected means it can all be hacked using a laptop and then the software stuck on the internet for anyone to use. Or made in to a simple plug and play device.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You just need an updated can blocker for BMWs with software post 2019, they are widely available and definitely work...

This is one of those tit for tat wars which will be never ending. It’s not as if it a new thing, 30 years ago people used to wind the odo back manually, it has always happened and always will.

I don't doubt it. Not something I've explicitly looked into , but had been noticed on a development car that had had the ECU rolled back to an early bench backup

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I don't doubt it. Not something I've explicitly looked into , but had been noticed on a development car that had had the ECU rolled back to an early bench backup
Sounds like the same mismatch would have occurred regardless (as in, even if no mileage blocker was fitted) in that scenario if the ECU was rolled back? That behaviour is standard, and is why used clusters for every car for years are near worthless on places like eBay - they have to match the ECU mileage. :)

Caporegime
In which case that becomes a dodgy car. I wouldn't trust the mileage on that car.

The point is surely that you wouldn't be able to tell...

You wouldn't know not to trust it.

The only possible way to live therefore is to be suspicious of everything and only ever buy cars brand new, and, never let them out of your sight, lest someone put a blocker in it when your head is turned! :p

Soldato
The point is surely that you wouldn't be able to tell...

You wouldn't know not to trust it.

The only possible way to live therefore is to be suspicious of everything and only ever buy cars brand new, and, never let them out of your sight, lest someone put a blocker in it when your head is turned! :p

You just reminded to get the latest data for my car.

YR9IAMS.png

Admittedly the seller probably won't provide this. But you will be able to find out and then get the manufacturer to confirm.

Last edited:
Caporegime
so what do you do if your buying a second hand car that has had one of these mileage blockers on?

Don't buy it?

But realistically you won't find out if it has had a blocker fitted. Even if it has a "phone home" feature for logging data you likely won't find out until after you've bought it if that link has been severed.

Caporegime
sorry, i meant if it has been clocked, by having one on, how do you know the have clocked it , by say 5000 miles or what ever ?

You don't. Thats the point of it.

Assuming it is a "good" mileage blocker, every trace will be covered. The ECU, cluster, and in some cars even the key will have a record of the mileage, all can be paused with a well engineered CAN blocker.

Caporegime
I just thought as well, if a new car has a blocker installed, its unlikely the car will be serviced regularly enough unless the person gets the car serviced privately with no receipts, and then takes it in for the dealer service and its stamp once the odometer "finally" reads the correct mileage for the manufacturers interval.

I bet there are some poor cars out there with 30,000 miles on the original oil and filter, which are yet to have their 10,000 mile service or whatever. I bet those engines look looooovely inside. :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I just thought as well, if a new car has a blocker installed, its unlikely the car will be serviced regularly enough unless the person gets the car serviced privately with no receipts, and then takes it in for the dealer service and its stamp once the odometer "finally" reads the correct mileage for the manufacturers interval.

I bet there are some poor cars out there with 30,000 miles on the original oil and filter, which are yet to have their 10,000 mile service or whatever. I bet those engines look looooovely inside. :p

That is all part of the reason that people use them...i think that it is massively widespread, but obviously it never really gets reported as nobody knows.

Caporegime
OP

If they are cheapish out by buying one if these machines, I dint thibk.an on time service will be top of their priority list as they will have sold the car by the time its smoking at 60k

Caporegime
That is all part of the reason that people use them...i think that it is massively widespread, but obviously it never really gets reported as nobody knows.

I doubt people are doing it to avoid paying for servicing etc, that doesn't make sense to me. It will be because of lease/finance agreements, or re-sale value on owned cars.

Back
Top Bottom