• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Right now AMD plans on releasing CPU first, GPU then console on different dates.
As optimistic as I want to be about RDNA 2 it doesn't bold well. The only way that "big navi" makes sense being second to Ryzen 4000 is if it simply not ready. We already know the rumor that Ryzen 4000 is suppose to be on the same, if not better, IPC then intel. Provide a 10 core sku to compete against Intel (hopefully at a lower price point). And provide that much needed improved single threaded performance at a lower latency. These are huge wins for AMD Ryzen. So it makes sense to present that 1st, or as soon as possible to forester a larger mindshare.

Now, if RDNA 2 was just as impressive it "should" share the spotlight with Ryzen at the same time!!! What better way for AMD to flex it's muscles then to provide to the worlds 1st PC Ecosystem. Something that neither Intel or Nvidia can showcase. That's what concerns me about Big Navi right now. Sure, they can showcase this pc ecosystem once Big Navi is launched but it leaves a bitter taste after waiting several days for it.

So, I can only hope that the real reason is simply because Big Navi is still, not ready. But I doubt it. And I'm hedging my expectations.

Last edited:
Associate
Thats how it works This is NV's slide if You missed it. Thats why If I was on Air I would not touch FE card why would i want to heat up my cpu ?? :D
This has cropped up a few times in the nvidia thread with the poster saying i don't like the design because I've got an air-cooled CPU.
If the split is 50/50 ( I know it probably won't be), the 3080 and 90 FEs potentially dump 160 or 180W of warm air over the CPU.
If the card is replaced with an air-cooled custom card, 320 or 350W of warm air is dumped into the case, which will soon circulate into the CPU.

Whether your CPU is air or AIO cooled, the case used is going to require a decent airflow to keep temps down.

Soldato
AMD did that last year and it wasn't well received.

Honestly, stop winding yourself up so much. AMD not saying anything simply means they're not saying anything. Chill out.
It wasn't well received by whom? The 5700xt was considered a mid range card. And most of the people I associate with have AMD builds now. So I don't understand why you think it wasn't well received. And no, I'm not winding myself up about it. Just looking at this from both angles. :)

Associate
Right now AMD plans on releasing CPU first, GPU then console on different dates.
As optimistic as I want to be about RDNA 2 it doesn't bold well. The only way that "big navi" makes sense being second to Ryzen 4000 is if it simply not ready. We already know the rumor that Ryzen 4000 is suppose to be on the same, if not better, IPC then intel. Provide a 10 core sku to compete against Intel (hopefully at a lower price point). And provide that much needed improved single threaded performance at a lower latency. These are huge wins for AMD Ryzen. So it makes sense to present that 1st, or as soon as possible to forester a larger mindshare.

Now, if RDNA 2 was just as impressive it "should" share the spotlight with Ryzen at the same time!!! What better way for AMD to flex it's muscles then to provide to the worlds 1st PC Ecosystem. Something that neither Intel or Nvidia can showcase. That's what concerns me about Big Navi right now. Sure, they can showcase this pc ecosystem once Big Navi is launched but it leaves a bitter taste after waiting several days for it.

So, I can only hope that the real reason is simply because Big Navi is still, not ready. But I doubt it. And I'm hedging my expectations.
:mad:

You do know amd isn't working for you right?
That they are a cpu company making tons of money on the cpu?
and I am sure if they were reading this thread and saw your post they change what they do in a heartbeat...
Right?

So as I am sitting on a powerful amd rig atm and awaiting the zen3 cpu as its the best there is to buy soon.
Once that has been presented and you want to buy it then your able to enjoy it and await the next big presentation.
2 for 1, best deal in October with the Nvidia Killer coming.
Kills off the 3060ti, the 3070 which are main sellers for consumers anyway that where amd will kick nvidias ass.

Got to love amd for giving us the best of the best.
(I wish I worked for them so I could adress this to Lisa Su about your opinion)

Associate

:mad:
I said before, I'm sure the original plan wasn't to be involved with two new console launches, a new CPU range and a new GPU range all at the same time.

I also said before the priorities would be -

1. M$ and $ony - can't let them down (penalties, fines, bad press)

Way down the list

2. Zen 3 - money for old rope

3. Big Navi - if somethings got to slip.......

I also think it might be driver related. One console release would be difficult enough to support never mind two.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Soldato
I didn't get far into that video before I had to stop watching it. What an ignorant fool that dude is. If AMD is on the leading node and doesn't have a leading GPU, maybe there is plenty of work that could be done to the architecture and set up to improve results. Instead, this tool of a techtuber is just saying... no new node = bad GPU... WTF.

Soldato
You do know amd isn't working for you right?
That they are a cpu company making tons of money on the cpu?
and I am sure if they were reading this thread and saw your post they change what they do in a heartbeat...
Right?

No, I didn't imply they work for me. Advance Micro Devices (AMD) is a semiconductor company that specializing in the development CPUs and GPUs. If you want to get technical. ;)
And this thread is about speculating on Big Navi. Having an opinion on Big Navi doesn't mean it's true. It's just a speculating on available information based on current trends.
:D

Amd's IPC is already better than Intels with Zen 2 let alone Zen 3!
I'm referring to this generation of games at 1080p. As demonstrated in most reviews:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1876-4ghz-ryzen-3rd-gen-vs-core-i9/

It's an improvement from Ryzen 2000 series.

Associate
Its probably more than that with the IMC's and IO, lets say it as much as 60% of the die.

360mm2 X 0.60 = 216mm2, that's the size of the 56 CU GPU, you don't need to double the IMC's and IO again so add another 180mm2 to double CU's only = 395mm2 for a 112 CU GPU + 42% = 159 CU's, 395mm2 + 42% = 560mm2

Roughly 550mm2 for a 160 CU Big Navi

That's 28 Dual CU clusters (56 CU's) Big Navi is 3X the Series X

Trying a different line of reasoning...remember when Microsoft started marketing Project Scarlett, they were confident of maintaining 8K @ 60FPS.. does that still hold?
What are Nvidia's teraflops supposed to be doing?

Caporegime
Trying a different line of reasoning...remember when Microsoft start marketing Project Scarlett, they were confident of maintaining 8K @ 60FPS.. does that still hold?
What are Nvidia's teraflops supposed to be doing?

They always talk up resolution because they know High FPS High Res is a thing PC clubs consoles to death with.

12 TF, not that this has any bearing on gaming performance.

DDH

DDH

Associate
It seems pretty clear to me, rdna2 is going to make a big splash, then a week later two consoles drop both running rdna2. So to everyone who reads tech or anyone who seems this new GPU from AMD called rdna2 that has ray tracing and it really efficient and powerful, but doesn't have a computer, not to worry! We have two consoles with the same tech ready to go! Ray tracing included! That is why it is when it is

Soldato
*60% performance per watt uplift
*No HBM2
*Not using 512bit bus. Lower Bus width
*Infinity Cache on the GPU 128MB which helps make up for the lack of memory bandwidth of GDDR6
*Clock Frequency similiar/around to PS5
*80CU for top sku
*6700, 6800, 6900 skus
*6700 will compete 3070
*6800 will compete against the 3080
*6800XT will compete against the 3080 TI
*6900 will compete 3090 but will be faster then a 3080TI. Not sure if it will beat a 3090
*No word if they will undercut Nvidia pricing.
*Hybrid Ray Tracing (AMD Patent)
*Up-sampling handled via lower precision operations.
*Decompression: unknown at this time
*This will not be another Vega64

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom