• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
AMD is allegedly preparing a next generation GPU code named Navi 23 that's internally referred to as the 'NVIDIA Killer' and it's due to come out next year. We've heard whispers about this Navi 23 GPU in the techsphere as early as back in August of this year, but we've only gotten confirmation that it actually exists about a week ago when it crept up in a Linux code dump.

AMD Navi 23 'NVIDIA Killer' GPU First to Support Hardware Ray Tracing
Thanks to a recent Linux driver we know that Navi 23 is only one of three different GPUs that AMD is building on TSMC's 7nm+ process node and the RDNA2 gaming graphics microarchitecture, the others being Navi 21 and Navi 22.

However, according to this particular source, only Navi 23 is being referred to internally as the "NVIDIA Killer". That's because Navi 23 is said to be the big Navi GPU that's going to take the competition to NVIDIA in the high-end segment where the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti currently sit uncontested.

I'd urge caution here though, as this is just a rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt. Companies usually don't refer to one of their products as the competition killer, and on the rare occasion that they do it's often a hit and miss. Big Navi is definitely set to compete and add value to the high-end graphics market but don't expect it to "kill" anything, not yet at least. It's just too early to tell how competitive this GPU is going to be. Especially with NVIDIA's Ampere around the corner, which looks to bring quite a sizable generational leap from Turing.

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-23-nv...upport-hardware-ray-tracing-coming-next-year/

NVidia killer? Sounds good to me and with RT :)

Pinch of salt because of the source lol

Caporegime
OP
Last I checked they don’t and people have to find workarounds to get it to work and even then you have stuttering etc. **** that.

Even die hard Nvidia guys like Gregster gave up SLI as it is ****. That says it all. The above benchmarks are meaningless to me.
True that. SLI was great til they bought out GSync and then you notice the microstutter even more. SLI can do one til they get the stutter sorted.

Caporegime
OP
I for one hope AMD do have a 3080Ti competitor. Top end choice is only good for us consumers and with Intel coming, prices all round will hopefully be competitive again.

Caporegime
OP
I was kidding. Fury X was a horrible card and the 4gb HBM was the worst part. Give it dx12/Vulkan and keep the memory use down and it fly's though from what i have seen.
I liked my Fury X for the short time I had it and liked the fact it came with an AIO. True enough about the 4GB but for 1080P, it will still cope just fine.

Caporegime
OP
You have to remember that the 2080ti is a 18.6 billion transistor chip compared to Vega 7's 13.2b and the 5700xt at 10.3 bil. AMD have plenty in the tank in this aspect. Even the 2070 super has 13.2 billion transistors. AMD just need to make bigger chips to be competitive but i don't think they will do this until they can get the power usage under control.
If AMD went bigger, it would certainly need a AIO to keep it cool enough, as they are currently struggling with temps on this arch.

Caporegime
OP
I don't think cooling is a problem tbf. Any of the decent 5700xt's are cool and quiet along with Vega which is much more power hungry. My Vega 64 runs in the high 60's without any tweaks. They do need to work on power usage though as no way they can scale up to much bigger chips on the current RDNA arch without work on this aspect. That's what needs to happen though as without big chips they won't be competing with Nvidia unless they work out some multi chip design using smaller chips.
Fair enough bud. I thought the 5 series was hot running but not paid too much attention in fairness.

Caporegime
OP
Oh okay, so it's basically half the size of an nvidia 12nm (or whatever they are on), so double the size then double the performance? If you think that then I'll assume the opposite is true :D

Not into boxing by any chance? I could likely make a fortune betting against who ever you pick. The Teddy
Atlas of the tech world.
This made me laugh. But very true lol

Caporegime
OP
It doesn't matter how powerful AMD make their GPUs as they don't have that one essential aspect for market dominance i.e. mind-share.

We've seen it in the past, AMD makes the better product, still gets outsold by Nvidia...

Until that changes, they won't be winning any battles for market share with their current strategy.

AMD need to rebrand their GPUs and offer top tier performance. It's the only way they'll claw back market share from Nvidia.
I don't think it is that and more to do with the way AMD are slow to get the full power of their cards out. Drivers have taken almost a year before they get up to speed at times and this makes them look slower than their counter part and in the mean time, Joe Public looks at reviews and see's that AMD are the slower offerings, so they go for NVidia.

I can't believe also that someone is using Charlie DemerihiaUAWGDF8YGAWDFHG as a source of correct info. The man hates NVidia and Intel and gets things wrong on so many occasions, it is laughable and also charges a fortune to read his ramblings.

Caporegime
OP
Define "performance"? RTX2080Ti is on average 35% faster at 4K than the 5700XT reference with 19.11 drivers, while costs over 3 times as much. (consider reference was £299 the last 2+ months at OCUK). And with 19.12.2/3 drivers the gap is even smaller.

So AMD actually doesn't have that big road to cover as you might expect. And before you reply, enjoy this.

Whilst I don't argue with that, there is other things at play that need to be considered. NVidia have at least strived to bring the industry forward with RayTracing and anyone who is clued up should know that this is the way forward. I begrudingly paid for my 2080Ti but have no regrets because I really like the way RT works in games like Control and Metro. BF5 even looks great, even though you don't get to appreciate it.

Caporegime
OP
Given Gregsters & Deuse comments also, possibly for some anything is acceptable if done by Nvidia.

Hence some times I wonder if are paid shills between us in this forum. Normal intelligent consumers wouldn't write such insane arguments.

Especially some arguing that we bash Nvidia pricing because we cannot afford at 2080Ti.
Childish post. I actually gave you fair reasoning but your response is like a kid in the playground.

Caporegime
OP
Seems you forgot your own posts mate.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33024660/

(from the same discussion)

Do you want me to continue?
I didn't forget anything and I am right. People are free to spend what they like on their hobby. Calling them a fanboy/shill is the pathetic playground talk I have come to expect from you and you used a quote of mine that backs up what I said. Become a man and stop with the childish words bud.

Edit:

Loving this news and hopefully stands true. I would love to see a AMD card faster than a 2080Ti and by ~30% is no small gain.

Caporegime
OP
You know what's funny, Nvidia just released a driver today to fix a game crash that has been happening for a few months for some nvidia users! They is also a bunch of other fixes!

You don't here people going around slating nvidia drivers LOL What's even funnier is Apex devs were getting the blame you know because Nvidia can do no wrong THEY amazing!!

[Apex Legends]: The game may crash with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887A0006. [2679551]

Here are all the issues addressed by this driver release:

• [Apex Legends]: The game may crash with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG 0x887A0006. [2679551]
  • [Mortal Kombat]: The game may randomly crash to the desktop without error [2813996]
  • [Zombie Army: Dead War 4][Vulkan][HDR]:Corrupted flickering occurs when in-game HDR is enabled. [200585136]
  • [Battleye][Low-Latency Mode]: Launching Battleye with NVIDIA Low Latency Mode set to Ultra may cause DWM to reset. [2834199]
  • [Twitch Studio]: The app shows corruption when Image Sharpening is enabled globally from the NVIDIA Control Panel [2811830]
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed crashes when playing in a water level. [2826669]
  • [Zombie Army: Dead War 4][Vulkan]: Game may flicker when in-game HDR is enabled. [200585136]
  • [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan]: Random crashes occur during gameplay on Pascal and older GPUs.[2822927]
As always, there are a few known issues as well:

Windows 10 Issues

• [Zombie Army: Dead War 4][Ansel/Freestyle]: The Ansel & Freestyle tabs are unselectable. [2810884]
  • [Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege][Vulkan][G-SYNC]: When playing the game in Vulkan mode with G-SYNC enabled, flickering occurs after switching the game between full-screen and windowed mode.[200578641]
    • Note: To work around, either disable G-SYNC or play using an API other than Vulkan.
Windows 7 Issues

• [World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth][DirectX 12]: The game crashes when switched from DirectX 11 to DirectX 12 mode. [200574934]

Guess all them Youtube channels will be happy enough with the traffic they gained on them videos!

I am by no means defending AMD here just to point out they is know issues with Navi !

But like Nvidia isn't perfect either! The issue I have is just how fast users jump onto AMD once they release a bad drive they all of a sudden they worst drivers ever LOL Like really they have gained grounds massive over the past 4 years, driver release after release for day 0 releases for well over a year!
This is what happens when you pushing for big changes you run into bugs! part and parcel of software coding and it will always happen when making big changes!

/little rant :D
I still see you are peddling the same boring rhetoric by showing NVidia issues when you have an AMD GPU.... Does it make you feel better? Good job AMD drivers are issue free then I say...

Caporegime
OP
Good on you Greg for digging that one post out and fitting it for your own agender. Miss the other post out that I clearly state AMD have issues with 2020 release! I dont but it doesn't mean others dont! Its Navi that is most affected and its again "SOME" users

Does it make me feel better? What pish you spitting out now! the feeling doesn't come in to play I out here stating facts!

Nvidia can do no wrong!! It all ways gets pushed aside or pushed onto something else that games fault in Apex legends case.
It isn't just that one post though is it? You actually care that much about NVidia issues that you copied and pasted the whole bloody thing. Quite sad really. I am a bit more open minded and both have issues from time to time and that is the way of it. I personally hope everyone has 'problem free' gaming, as it is our fun time hobby.

Caporegime
OP
Whilst I don't have an issue with it but this thread isn't a driver thread and no need for 'point scoring' over which GPU has the best drivers. I appreciate things are a little quiet on the GPU front but is there any need for bashing?

Caporegime
OP
The video processed at 24fps and uploaded at 60fps. Is not different than the RTX Star Wars demo which was at 24fps also. But wasn't published at 60fps......
Or dementia came early ;)
Calm down, I was asking a genuine question, as it is seriously stuttery and far from smooth. If I was doing a showcase, I would want it as smooth as possible and not a stuttery mess.

Caporegime
OP
The problem with the video is 24fps rendered while processed to be uploaded on YT at 60fps.
If it was uploaded on YT at 24fps it would be smooth :)

In addition the quality is low because YT (with Amazon, Netflix the whole lot) are throttling video across whole Europe these days. Even if we set 1080p or 4K it goes down to 720 or 480p (Netflix).
Fair shout and fair answer. I am glad AMD are embracing RT though and it is all good for all of us in the future. The more it is used, the better the devs and the tech will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom