• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES NOW ONLINE AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (3090 / 3080 / 3070) **

Associate
Same here as well. This is particularly an issue for me as I have an overclocked 5960x that is air-cooled, seems like a recipe for a bump in CPU temps.

Hoping the giant Noctua NH-D15 I have can handle the additional heat from the new gpu design.

Caporegime
One thought about the FE card is you have to wonder just how much cool air is going to be able to make it to the intake fan at the rear of the card considering the exhausting fan is at the front. I would imagine most cool air will be getting yoinked away by that fan first.

Associate
One thought about the FE card is you have to wonder just how much cool air is going to be able to make it to the intake fan at the rear of the card considering the exhausting fan is at the front. I would imagine most cool air will be getting yoinked away by that fan first.

Now imagine running two FE cards in the same case...

Permabanned

That is what I mentioned after a few pre-reviews said as much, I am going to add 2x140mm intakes to bottom of my NZXT 630, may even angle the rear one to hit GPU more at rear end.

I am pretty sure Nvidia have tested all this and would not go for it if it cooked the GPU and our CPU's as that would be a bad move from them.

I would still prefer a triple slot exhaust blower, do not need many slots occupied these days.

rn2

rn2

Associate
sorry I just get frustrated when people start banging on about the fan underneath pumping hot air onto the cpu when using an FE board yet just totally ignore the fact all the AIB boards have the same fan pushing the same hot air in the same location but in addition they have two more fans all pushing even more hot air towards the cpu.

why is it you and others can5 see that? Or am I being thick and missing something that all the AIB cards are blowers?

"people startbanging on" "complaining" Not really. I'd say they were people's thoughts and opinions, it happens in life unfortuantely even if you don't agree with them.

I don't know what you mean by AIB board. I assumed that all of the non fes were all equal blower fans. I don't understand why they would be any different from that if all they have to do is blow air on the gpu like in the past.

The other cards don't have fans directly exhausting from the gpu like a chimney unlike the fe design.

I saw somewhere that the heat dumped from the fe card in front of the cpu and ram sticks is being dumped slowly due to the lower fan speed. (I use the word dumped as the regular gpus don't tend to dump the heat in one place as the heat tends to be distributed evenly instead of mostly infront of the cpu cooler and over ram sticks). The bottom line is that I personally am not a fan of the fe cards for the above reasons although they do look cool :)

This would be the third time I have explained this now and it seems to be falling of deaf ears and for those reasons I have to unfortunately block you.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well you can't unless you go for the 3090 which is gonna be tight :p

75101-04-heres-the-triple-slot-geforce-rtx-3090-beast-up-installed-into-pc-full.jpg

Here's the triple-slot GeForce RTX 3090 beast installed into a PC | TweakTown

Associate
Whoa, pull the brakes there bud - jumping to those kinda conclusions will ruin your suspension. If you follow the chain of evidence, you'll quickly switch gears... getting kinda tyre'd of this ;)
"people startbanging on" "complaining" Not really. I'd say they were people's thoughts and opinions, it happens in life unfortuantely even if you don't agree with them.

I don't know what you mean by AIB board. I assumed that all of the non fes were all equal blower fans. I don't understand why they would be any different from that if all they have to do is blow air on the gpu like in the past.

The other cards don't have fans directly exhausting from the gpu like a chimney unlike the fe design.

I saw somewhere that the heat dumped from the fe card in front of the cpu and ram sticks is being dumped slowly due to the lower fan speed. (I use the word dumped as the regular gpus don't tend to dump the heat in one place as the heat tends to be distributed evenly instead of mostly infront of the cpu cooler and over ram sticks). The bottom line is that I personally am not a fan of the fe cards for the above reasons although they do look cool :)

This would be the third time I have explained this now and it seems to be falling of deaf ears and for those reasons I have to unfortunately block you.

It doesn't look like a big deal .
You just got to change the case fan config

Chg the rear case fan to pull air in
Move one of the bottom fans up (above the card) and make it push air out

And yes, play with vsync on :)

Edit: you will need to look at Nvidia's marketing slides on rtx 30 cooling for context

Last edited:
Associate
I wonder if someone can install the 3090 FE beastie cooler onto the 3080 FE.
You know, like buying one from ebay (sometimes the water cooling guys are selling them apart).
It's increased cooling power would definitely be like an air cooling overkill for a 3080.

Soldato
Think i’ve missed this basic query. Do OCUK sell the founders edition cards? I’ve had a look on the shop page and don’t see them.
If not, are these only available direct from Nvidia?

Soldato
Like what the hell were they thinking with the adapter in the box being a cheap short piece of s...

EK block for founders looks like it’s going to be interesting!

Soldato
So has anyone done their homework on the 3090? What is the best one to go for?

Probably the ones with best warranty/RMA at this point. There appear to be some weak spots (not that anyone has held one yet). Zotac, Gigabyte for me I imagine. Cancelled my FE pre-order (not just because of design issues, life stuff too) and will hold out for the second round of cards.

Soldato

we don't have nearly enough info to make that call unfortunately- ask again in 1 week

I want the answer to that question too but there is always no details out there, a lot of 3090 cards haven't even had their clock speeds Or tdp published yet

Associate

I can only say that there's an inno3d 2.5 slot card .. which might be worth considering for 3 slot SLI

and that Nvidia's CEO was bigging up the cooling solution on founders edition. I am leaning towards it, but no stats on overclocking headroom or anything like that

Back
Top Bottom