• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official Zotac rep underfire on Reddit with regards to the 1 - 3 % lower performance..

Associate
Not a great move from Zotac, but I'll probably be undervolting my 3080 when I receive it just to keep the temperature/noise down for long term use anyway.

Soldato
I have one on order, and yeah it was a disappointing bit of news. Will I cancel my order and add a month or two to my fulfilment time for the sake of a few percent performance? Not yet anyway.

I'm coming from a 980ti so I think I'll still be really happy with it, but it does hurt to watch buildzoid tear it apart and expose the poor build quality

Associate
Lot of fuss over nothing. If you want a good overclocker than buy their amp extreme series. This card is fine for a base reference card, and its a damn sight quieter than the FE card.

Caporegime
Lot of fuss over nothing. If you want a good overclocker than buy their amp extreme series. This card is fine for a base reference card, and its a damn sight quieter than the FE card.

So its not a big deal they artificially gimped it to make their other offerings look stronger?

Associate
Reviews were available for this card before they went live for order, and they showed it was marginally slower than an FE but quieter. It also showed that it was limited in OC potential with limited power margins, so if you purchased this card, or pre-ordered it without doing your homework then I don't know what to say.

Everyone seems to be shocked at this sort of practice, which no doubt happens all of the time. Welcome to capitalism!

Do your research and buy the product that fits your particular needs. Zotac's warranty is excellent IMHO.

Caporegime
Check out the Hardware Unboxed review of the MSI Trio. They say the 3x8 pin makes seemingly zero difference to the (lack of) OC potential in that card.

Maybe other AIBs might fare better and make use of the 3x8.
Indeed the evga ftw with the power pins and using 400w only out performed the the Asus tuf none oc card by 2%.

Its basically just a silicon lottery this time

Associate
Isn't it common knowledge by now that this generation the FE cards are setting the benchmark? Why bother with a slower card with an arguably worse cooler unless you want to keep for the full 5 year warranty term?
the fact that the 3080 FE is already at or very close to the power limits and the fact the FE has a beefy cooler seems to be lost on people.
The AIBs won't have much more performance to give on their premium models and have likely skimped on (or gimped) their budget models in order to create the illusion of a difference or save money on the pcb.

Back
Top Bottom