• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official Zotac rep underfire on Reddit with regards to the 1 - 3 % lower performance..

Associate
Worth a read, I pre-ordered the RTX 3080 trinity...

Not good to read it runs slower than the FE card.. Although the review say it can overclock by around 4 to 5 percent... Making it just slightly faster than a FE at stock.

The rep also states, that Zotac have reduced performance by design, so to make their other cards look more impressive..... Not good.

"It's by design - it's also a way to seperate our higher end models from the basic Trinity models"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZOTAC/comm...b18-11ea-84c6-0e11989c86eb&utm_content=footer

Last edited:
Associate
I've not long found out about this and I've started looking into it as I have a preorder with Amzon.DE (Which I don't expect to be filled with their current delivery date-Tuesday) and was wondering if to cancel or not. I appreciate the guys honesty if he honestly meant to say what he did but would I be happy with a slightly slower card. A benchmark on Tomb Raider put the card at running at 89% :( Still high framerate but not running at full potential :(

Associate
OP
As buildzoid said, this is the worst 3080 card, jank power delivery for even the 3070^^

Yep, definitely, should have pre-ordered a Asus..

Hopefully a new bios will fix the situation... But hmmm not a good start.

Best comment on the thread.

"Gamer's Nexus is going to rip you guys a new one for this crap."

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
I've got this card on pre-order, in the meantime if a better card comes along I'll try for that.

Agreed, same idea here... I was not happy when I read the review, the Zotac sounds like a hot potato... 5 year warranty or not, no one likes owning a gimped product... Sounds like it is bottom of the stack... Not good.

Wow the official Zotac rep reply.

Z_staff
Official Rep :ZGaming:
1d

It's by design - it's also a way to seperate our higher end models from the basic Trinity models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I wouldn't worry too much about power limits. I get the impression these cards are at the edge of their performance / power curve, so even if you dump more watts into it the gains are going to be incredibly minimal. Nothing like the gains people got with the 2080Ti. And the 3080 already has great performance.

It's also already a power hungry card, do you really want to pump even more heat into your room?

Associate
Also the reason why the zotacs and MSI run hotter is because the fan curve is set on a quiet setting. Ive read adjusting this improves temperatures to the level of the Asus tuf etc.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry too much about power limits. I get the impression these cards are at the edge of their performance / power curve, so even if you dump more watts into it the gains are going to be incredibly minimal. Nothing like the gains people got with the 2080Ti. And the 3080 already has great performance.

It's also already a power hungry card, do you really want to pump even more heat into your room?
When it's outperformed by an FE, you know its a damp squib.

Associate
When it's outperformed by an FE, you know its a damp squib.

Yeah, but really how much of a difference is there? Don't get me wrong, I would also be annoyed if I had ordered one only to find out it isn't even reference but considering the performance people are still going to get, it could be worse.

Yeah, but really how much of a difference is there? Don't get me wrong, I would also be annoyed if I had ordered one only to find out it isn't even reference but considering the performance people are still going to get, it could be worse.

Yeah it's still a 3080, just a no frills poorly built one.
With how the stock situation is at the moment I guess people should just be happy to get one.

Associate
After reading i find it surprising that people are willing to cancel pre-orders based on a few percent on a budget model on the 3080 line, but still has a longer warranty than similar priced cards. Along with the rep being open and honest, and the 2080ti seems to have gotten Nvidia a free pass when talking about price gouging.

Maybe i read the comments in the wrong tone, wanting best value for money is perfectly fine ofcourse.

Associate
OP

But worse than an FE card... And by design too! That is plenty to upset any owner...to purposely do that is bad...

Soldato
I dont disagree and I think pricing has a lot to do with it - there are (were, I guess lol) other models available for the same price that were better built. It would make the trinity hard to justify for me. I don't think I'd want to buy such a power hungry card that is purposely worse built than the FE. That doesn't sit right with me.

Associate
OP
I dont disagree and I think pricing has a lot to do with it - there are (were, I guess lol) other models available for the same price that were better built. It would make the trinity hard to justify for me. I don't think I'd want to buy such a power hungry card that is purposely worse built than the FE. That doesn't sit right with me.

Agreed, bad and unfair for the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom