Vodafone Gigafast

Soldato
I have an update on the service quality of Vodafone - I logged into my new online account to check a few details, only to discover my order has been cancelled. 30 minutes on live chat and then the telephone and they have confirmed that due to an unspecified 'technical error' my order has indeed been cancelled.

I now need to consider whether to place my order again. I imagine the date I had agreed will now be unavailable, which will mean the added inconvenience of changing days off at work. Ugh.

Had very frustrating issues with the site myself as well, can't access or even login to the Vodafone app if I'm a VOXI customer apparently, since it doesn't recognize that I may be a BB customer and not a mobile one...?
And speaking of the live chat it is just absolutely useless. I recommend only phoning them if you need something if possible.
You'll find the service to be well worth it once you've got it up and running... :)

Associate
I'm giving them another chance and after a lengthy phone call they have reinitiated my order, but this time they found an earlier installation date. As long as it isn't cancelled again I'll be getting 500/70 on the 8th October. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Tomorrow, Thursday, is Gigafast day for me! :)
Going from about 60Mbps to 900 :eek: Just hope it works ok :)

I'm already with Vodafone, but they've sent me another identical hub for some reason! Oh well. I guess I'll stick one in the cupboard in case it breaks.

Soldato
I'm giving them another chance and after a lengthy phone call they have reinitiated my order, but this time they found an earlier installation date. As long as it isn't cancelled again I'll be getting 500/70 on the 8th October. Fingers crossed!

Similar story to me, they said my order had been cancelled, and the slimy sales guy came back with the offer of faster for the same price (thinking about it i dont think it was anything above and beyond the normal offer for existing mob customers, i'll check when it finally settles down), seemed very off, also mentioned they need to send out another router vs the one i'd got that morning as the faster speed required a different router, low&behold an identical router turned up today...

They are a joke, but no one else offers fibre round here so what can you do but suffer there incompetence. Like gsf600y im gonna be holding on to it as a spare or at least nab the psu for something else.

Soldato

Ah didn't realize it was the OR offering that you was taking. This thread is a little confusing since VF sell both the CityFibre and OR package now under the same name.

Associate
Ah didn't realize it was the OR offering that you was taking. This thread is a little confusing since VF sell both the CityFibre and OR package now under the same name.

Even the staff are confused. We were telling him it's Openreach, but he was adamant it's City fibre. I wish it were - I'd be getting 500/500!

Soldato
Tomorrow, Thursday, is Gigafast day for me! :)
Or maybe it isn't.....no sign of an engineer at all today :confused::(:mad:
Vodafone support say to keep waiting.....

EDIT: and moments later the engineer calls to say he's not forgotten and will be here shortly! Phew :)

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, that's late in the day. I booked the morning off for my appointment which is 0800-1300. It'll be no good if they turn up at 1255!

Associate
Congrats and good speed tier.

You will be able to utilise most of that 500Mbps via a well positioned or decent Wi-fi AP.

I’m on 900Mbps knowing full well my Wi-fi caps out at 640Mbps max and that’s with a very careful setup.

Bargain for what you paid.

Soldato
Wow, that's late in the day. I booked the morning off for my appointment which is 0800-1300. It'll be no good if they turn up at 1255!
Yeah, guy said they work from 8am to 6pm. They've just left. They were very good, wore slippers in the house etc, block paviers look like they were never lifted.
On the WiFi router front, he noticed the two and said I had to use the new one. I guess it's just pre-configured is all.

Anyway, all working and looking good.

Now to sort the cabling mess behind the TV unit I had to move....

Soldato
Probably closer to an hour to be honest.
I've spent longer sorting all the cabling spaghetti out.

Currently seeing about 880Mbps down, and around 650Mbps upload on speedtest.net.
Speeds fluctuating a bit though...I don't know if FTTP has the same "settling" period as normal fibre broadband.

Minimum latency seems to have dropped on the new package. I've just started some uploads and downlods, so might see things getting a bit more erratic shortly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There's no settling in process for FTTP. It's a thing that has largely been forgotten in recent years but broadband is a contended service, you should see the full package speed at some point when the network is quieter, and the connection should be free of packet loss etc etc. but if you can't get 900Mbps at 8pm on a weeknight then that's sort of the expected outcome. It will feel like you're being short changed because you're 'losing' 300Mbps or whatever, but that's the nature of a contended service. The guaranteed speeds sometimes seem laughably low - for all BT FTTP packages the guaranteed minimum is 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up, and this applies to the 900Mbps product as well.

Soldato
Ah ok, thanks for explaining.
I'm seeing quote a few 250Mbps results, which yeah, does feel like being short changed from 900.
Currently upload speeds between 600 to 750 though.

Soldato
Ah ok, thanks for explaining.
I'm seeing quote a few 250Mbps results, which yeah, does feel like being short changed from 900.
Currently upload speeds between 600 to 750 though.

Find my download speed to average around 750-850Mbps, and my upload is literally always 940Mbps.
Can't complain though, it's more than enough for me, quite lucky to be in one of the few areas that has this available at the moment... on CF not OR to be clear :rolleyes:

Soldato
I'll keep monitoring
yRo3jHN.png
The drop off was yesterday evening about 8 to 10pm.
Then the jump up again was this morning, 07:50.

OfMTmkq.png
Upload speed solid throughout though at about 720Mbps, so not as high as yours.

Soldato
About 200Mbps.
It's only Speedtest.net, results history. If you sign up, it keeps all your results history.
I've just setup a scripted version using the Speedtest CLI, and a PowerShell script to dump results every 15 minutes into a text file, so I can graph in Excel instead and record the history myself.

I don't know how good these tests are though - at the same time as Speedtest.net dropping to about 200Mbps, the Microsoft speedtest App was telling me I was getting over 800.

Back
Top Bottom