• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Soldato
It'll be funny if after all the furore, a simple driver update sorts this and the issue just goes away.

It will. By down clocking the core.

I got a message from my pal this morning who sold me his 2080Ti. He has one of the "crap cards". Only his crap card can do 2020 sustained for hours in Port Royal and the games he plays.

This isn't down to bad power phases it is down to crap dies. Hardly like Igor or Jay can swap one onto a "Supposed good card" to find out.

We knew the FE would get the best dies and thus the best clocks. Well, we knew it if we actually stopped watching Jen and did some research.

So I can see "good" cards doing this too.

Associate
I wanted to order the evga rtx 3080 xc3 ultra when its available but now I'm thinking twice before ordering one because of of this issue. Btw, is the xc3 ultra equivalent to a OC model?

Associate
According to EVGA, they said that for the evga 3080 xc3 is fine with 5 POSCAP's with one set of MLCC's. If so, why is it having issues? Can some one clarify this as I just knew about this issue today.

Soldato
How much of an OC have you got out your Gigabyte gaming?

Mine seems to only do 50Mhz

I'm at + 125Mhz and rock solid stable in games, as I said above I'm boosting as high as 2070Mhz but then I'm running a pretty aggressive fan curve, fans running at 50% from 30c with a steep incline to 100% at 80c but it's not got anywhere near that. I haven't gone over 59c and seem to be around the 52c to 55c mark most of the time. You've also got to bear in mind I haven't even touched the memory yet. Have you maxed out your temp limit?

Man of Honour
If you look at the original arrangement for the EVGA that they said was insufficient https://tpucdn.com/gpu-specs/images/b/7943-back.jpg You can see it is using 220 rated SP-Caps.

The Gigabyte cards are using 470 rated SP-Caps. It's too early to cancel the Gigabyte cards and condemn them.

Buildzoid mentions here https://youtu.be/GPFKS8jNNh0?t=1170 at 19:30 how 470 rated SP-Caps perform better than 330.

A lot will depend on the whole power supply (GPU board) implementation - often high-performance voltage regulators have a range of ESR where they are stable so you may end up with 220s providing better stability and your power supply able to perform high enough you don't need massive amounts of reserve power local to the point of load. Then you need to take into account high frequency noise which generally necessitates a mix of capacitors - though in my experience a single 0.1uf ceramic covers a multitude of sins. (For high speed microprocessors you probably need something in the pf range).

I'm no expert on this but I know enough to know much of what is being talked about on this subject is a load of rubbish and I'll be surprised if there isn't more to this story.

Soldato
If you look at the original arrangement for the EVGA that they said was insufficient https://tpucdn.com/gpu-specs/images/b/7943-back.jpg You can see it is using 220 rated SP-Caps.

The Gigabyte cards are using 470 rated SP-Caps. It's too early to cancel the Gigabyte cards and condemn them.

Buildzoid mentions here https://youtu.be/GPFKS8jNNh0?t=1170 at 19:30 how 470 rated SP-Caps perform better than 330.

Prob why the Gigabyte etc are ok as they have the 470 caps?

Soldato
First the 2080Ti and now this :rolleyes:

Surely it will be sensble for any hardware enthusiast to wait a few months for the dust to settle before buying a new GPU? Are there any other serious flaws that haven't been discovered yet? Is it worth the risk?

Associate
It will. By down clocking the core.

I got a message from my pal this morning who sold me his 2080Ti. He has one of the "crap cards". Only his crap card can do 2020 sustained for hours in Port Royal and the games he plays.

This isn't down to bad power phases it is down to crap dies. Hardly like Igor or Jay can swap one onto a "Supposed good card" to find out.

We knew the FE would get the best dies and thus the best clocks. Well, we knew it if we actually stopped watching Jen and did some research.

So I can see "good" cards doing this too.
Interesting, which "crap" card does he have? Thanks for the info.

Associate
A lot will depend on the whole power supply (GPU board) implementation - often high-performance voltage regulators have a range of ESR where they are stable so you may end up with 220s providing better stability and your power supply able to perform high enough you don't need massive amounts of reserve power local to the point of load. Then you need to take into account high frequency noise which generally necessitates a mix of capacitors - though in my experience a single 0.1uf ceramic covers a multitude of sins.

I'm no expert on this but I know enough to know much of what is being talked about on this subject is a load of rubbish and I'll be surprised if there isn't more to this story.

I agree we need more information I was just pointing out that the EVGA statement doesn't necessarily apply to the Gigabyte or other models arrangement because they are not even the same SP-Caps. There is also no evidence at the moment that an all MLCC setup as used on the TUF is any better than an all SP-Caps setup. They both seem to have strengths and weaknesses and possibly the mixed setup could be better.

Soldato
Interesting, which "crap" card does he have? Thanks for the info.

Gigabyte 3080 OC. This one.

ozEP9NM.jpg

The issue is not down to poor caps. It's down to more expensive ones, believe it or not. Nvidia used MLCC all over the FE (which are cheaper, don't last as long as they are ceramic and prone to cracking but filter power better) VS AIBs who are using a mixture of these cheap caps and more expensive ones. Which are not quite as good at filtering.

Man of Honour
I agree we need more information I was just pointing out that the EVGA statement doesn't necessarily apply to the Gigabyte or other models arrangement because they are not even the same SP-Caps. There is also no evidence at the moment that an all MLCC setup as used on the TUF is any better than an all SP-Caps setup. They both seem to have strengths and weaknesses and possibly the mixed setup could be better.

Yeah definitely something we need more information on - everyone seems to be running to conclusions but these capacitors are only one part of a far more complex setup.

Back
Top Bottom