• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Associate
IF this actually is the case going from what Jay & Igor said
Causing Crashed because of cheaper quality capacitors being used on these cards causing Crash.
Most cards which are having these issues are with 6 POSCAP
Which means we will have to downclock these cards or most probably future update will do that so what is the case for Pre-orders will that RMA be done by AIB or we can request a replacement card when in stock from Overclockers?

Associate
OP
RMA? Unless the manufacturer offers a product recall u highly doubt it. You will 100% Get the advertised boost clock, it just so happens that Nvidia boost technology is pushing the GPU too far. If you receive the card and experience the fault then by all means return it, but don't be surprised if the manufacturer says no fault found.
But that's the thing We have 14 Day option to return no question ask ? so Will people RMA the card or return it until as most people know whats the cause of crashes and not stable clock speed. it's not the NVIDIA boost causing the issue, its the quality of the capacitor

Associate
OP
Just came across this video separately. Someone in the comments said the bigger caps are actually expensive (tantalum), the smaller multiple arrays are cheaper and ceramic based but take longer to.place and install.im production.

The xc3 evga has one array of the ceramics where as pics of the ftw cards have six larger capacitors only which makes no sense.

We shall see as I have a ftw on pre order but I'd consider am Asus perhaps depending on how this pans out.
Same boat here on pre order for FTW3 Ultra.
but saw a post where ASUS had also had a mixture of POSCAPS and MLCCS so not really sure. Currently, the safest bet is FE

Associate
OP
Would be useful if we can compile a list of what cards have what capacitors. The list from 3t3p is a good start but its interesting apparently some cards have already changed configuration so both versions are out in the world. Personally I've got a Gigabyte Gaming OC on order so I'd like to know what the arrangement is on that card.
Reddit list has that

Associate
OP
Can someone get a source for this? Would be interesting to see if they have a completely different configuration that is displayed in their advertising and whether the issue was fixed pre-launch or whether 6 POSCAPs Strix are on the market.

:(
It started with Igor and users reporting crashes at clock speed above 2000.
Not really sure as so many users re porting the crashes unless its was only the 1st batch, and that's the reason behind so much delay and AIBS providing really small numbers daily

Associate
OP
Posted about this hours ago in CAT'S review thread:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33988805
Since AIBs didn't have drivers, they couldn't have done much true binning, so maybe one of the capacitor designs only affects cards with poor ASIC quality?
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 is the most expensive card and they didn't use MLCC so cant say much
so I don't think price is the issue here

Back
Top Bottom