• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don't they already have USB3.2, I know my C8H does?
I'm likely misreading something then, but Asus have released 6 refreshed B450 "II" boards with big BIOS ROMs, USB flashback and a few other bits, of which USB 3.2 was listed. Could well be that Asus have brought the USB spec in line with the 500 series, rather than it being new.

Soldato
Yay no fan, oh it's their flagship so of course it's going to cost the earth...
Unfortunately the price expectation of X570 has been set so it won't come down.

Part of the reason X570 was so expensive is because of the ridiculous amount of PCIe retimers used to maintain signal integrity. Now compare X570 boards to Threadripper TRX40 boards: more PCIe slots, more lanes, more memory, bigger socket, more I/O, still PCIe 4 and...similar price? TRX40 apparently is much better engineered to do away with the expense of PCIe retimers, so the money went into HEDT-class IO and all that jazz. Now, Asus et al can translate that PCIe engineering into refreshed X570 boards to make them better and cheaper to produce, therefore costing less.

But they won't cost less, of course, because the old tat already set sky-high prices (and pushed B550 up as a result), so straight away there's some massive boosts in profit margin.

Soldato

Part of the reason X570 was so expensive is because of the ridiculous amount of PCIe retimers used to maintain signal integrity. Now compare X570 boards to Threadripper TRX40 boards: more PCIe slots, more lanes, more memory, bigger socket, more I/O, still PCIe 4 and...similar price? TRX40 apparently is much better engineered to do away with the expense of PCIe retimers, so the money went into HEDT-class IO and all that jazz. Now, Asus et al can translate that PCIe engineering into refreshed X570 boards to make them better and cheaper to produce, therefore costing less.

But they won't cost less, of course, because the old tat already set sky-high prices (and pushed B550 up as a result), so straight away there's some massive boosts in profit margin.

I think "old tat" is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm definitely impressed with my Aorus Master, great build quality, very stable and cool running. Overkill for my usage but should last me quite a long a time. It's nice to get some decent AMD options rather than Intel getting all the good stuff. Previously the options for quality motherboards for AMD was pretty poor.

Associate
OP

What would be the negative impact of PCIe retimers, or is it something that most wouldn't notice? How would you know the retimers have been removed, is something we can check or are we reliant on Asus posting a blog?

Associate
I think "old tat" is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm definitely impressed with my Aorus Master, great build quality, very stable and cool running. Overkill for my usage but should last me quite a long a time. It's nice to get some decent AMD options rather than Intel getting all the good stuff. Previously the options for quality motherboards for AMD was pretty poor.

I'm probably going to get an aorus master too, unless some better price/perf mobo is gonna be revealed in these days. But the aorus master seems like to be the best buy pick in the 300/340€ range to me and ek has also proudced a great quality monoblock for this board whick i will probably get my hands on if buy one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom