• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yes, but you also have to consider that by the time you come to add more it is probably going to be just as cheap to buy a bigger drive(s) and replace the smaller ones, sell of the old ones. I'm not saying do get lots of slots, but think over all of the options, like you said an adapter card.

I might go down the zen 3 route if performance v price works out, but would certainly want a board with 3 x M.2 slots and not have to bother with an adapter card.

Soldato
I might go down the zen 3 route if performance v price works out, but would certainly want a board with 3 x M.2 slots and not have to bother with an adapter card.

That's 12x PCI-E lanes if you want to take advantage of them all at the same time, then you are looking at 4x from the dedicated M.2 lanes, 4x from the 20x the CPU offers, and the full 4x available to the chipset, then the remaining 16x for the graphics card. As long as you don't want to use anything other PCI-E devices then you'll be fine, or you'll suffer a bit of restriction in speed if they are sharing chipset lanes with other devices.

I see why you might have preferred Threadripper if you really need the lanes.

Associate
That's 12x PCI-E lanes if you want to take advantage of them all at the same time, then you are looking at 4x from the dedicated M.2 lanes, 4x from the 20x the CPU offers, and the full 4x available to the chipset, then the remaining 16x for the graphics card. As long as you don't want to use anything other PCI-E devices then you'll be fine, or you'll suffer a bit of restriction in speed if they are sharing chipset lanes with other devices.

I see why you might have preferred Threadripper if you really need the lanes.

I won't be using any other PCI-E devices, are you saying using 3 x M.2 will have an impact on the GPU performance here? I could drop one M.2 if I really had to, but ideally need 3 for my drive configuration.

Soldato
I won't be using any other PCI-E devices, are you saying using 3 x M.2 will have an impact on the GPU performance here? I could drop one M.2 if I really had to, but ideally need 3 for my drive configuration.

Depends, 16x dedicated to the graphics, 4x dedicated to the first M.2 slot (these are both from the CPU) and then 4x from the chipset to the CPU, but the chipset will support up to 8x PCI-E 4.0 lanes, but obviously you can't put 8x 4.0 lanes of bandwidth up to the CPU across a 4x lane 4.0 link so you've got to not be using those drives at the same time if they need to go via the CPU for anything.

Associate
Depends, 16x dedicated to the graphics, 4x dedicated to the first M.2 slot (these are both from the CPU) and then 4x from the chipset to the CPU, but the chipset will support up to 8x PCI-E 4.0 lanes, but obviously you can't put 8x 4.0 lanes of bandwidth up to the CPU across a 4x lane 4.0 link so you've got to not be using those drives at the same time if they need to go via the CPU for anything.

It's purely for Adobe, I don't really game any more. So Premiere Pro and Photoshop. Premiere Pro being the heavyweight... CPU and GPU heavy, but also need the M.2's. I think the M.2 slots are more needed for media source and scratch.... so if I needed to compromise the setup I could drop the software from M.2 if it would prevent a performance drop elsewhere? Would that be the best bet?

Soldato
It's purely for Adobe, I don't really game any more. So Premiere Pro and Photoshop. Premiere Pro being the heavyweight... CPU and GPU heavy, but also need the M.2's. I think the M.2 slots are more needed for media source and scratch.... so if I needed to compromise the setup I could drop the software from M.2 if it would prevent a performance drop elsewhere? Would that be the best bet?

I highly doubt you'll notice any drop, or in fact face any compromise.

Soldato
I highly doubt you'll notice any drop, or in fact face any compromise.

Exactly. Just like @Jim 76 i mainly use my rig for Premier Pro, Photoshop and Lightroom but also FS as well. I have a 500GB M.2 and a 1000GB Sata. I also have external storage that all completed work is stored on. In all honesty, speed of work and the ability to later watch that work has never been an issue.
Unless you are in a data center, endless M2 drives are a complete waste of time, money, effort or even worrying about.

Associate
All along I've been thinking Zen 3 will be my (long over due) upgrade, but I suspect Zen 2 may well get a reasonable discount in the coming weeks/ months and whilst not as fast, may end up being better price / performance value, wait and see. It'll be nice to see what AMD has later today, I have no brand loyalty at all but I would quite like AMD to come out on top for a bit, in a underdog comes good kinda way.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

They'll have to wait for a while, the 5700XT is EOL now :p

I just realised this...

They're going to have a 5700X cpu with possibly a 5700XT version and also have a GPU of the exact same name.
AMD really need to rename their GPU's I feel

Soldato
They'll have to wait for a while, the 5700XT is EOL now :p

AMD refuted that and said the 5700XT is continuing into at least Q1 2021... they clarified that the 5700 is now special order only.

So I think the people reporting that news got their wires crossed and assumed both were being discontinued when in fact it was only the 5700 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom