Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Man of Honour
Instant...you must be dodgy.

Can confirm

I gave up in the end with Starling. Everytime you gave them a piece of information they requested 24 hours later they would ask for something else. 5 days later went with Monzo for business bank account instead.

Yeah losing interest with these guys fast, had enough documents off me regarding the business. Their support seems non-existent as well when I’ve tried to contact them via live chat.

Already got a Monzo personal account and I know they’re good, so will just tell Starling to cancel the application and go with Monzo

Soldato
Can confirm

Yeah losing interest with these guys fast, had enough documents off me regarding the business. Their support seems non-existent as well when I’ve tried to contact them via live chat.

Already got a Monzo personal account and I know they’re good, so will just tell Starling to cancel the application and go with Monzo
Agreed here. Starling support is pretty rubbish. I’ve been waiting on them to get back to me on something very urgent for around 5 days now.

Every time I’ve contacted them it has led to a complaint being raised which just isn’t good enough.

Soldato
@Steedie check out Tide

Just be aware of the typical sorts of complaints and comments the Tide account conjures up. Otherwise, it's a decent alternative, especially now Faster payments actually works. Previously they only ran them in batches (presumably to save money), so it might take 4 hours before being processed. I think this has been cut down now to 30 min batches and 2 hour clearing.

In the end I cancelled my test account when after a couple of years they wanted me to re-verify it by video, or it would be frozen. One shouldn't need to dick about with issues like that on a business account.

Commissario
Just be aware of the typical sorts of complaints and comments the Tide account conjures up. Otherwise, it's a decent alternative, especially now Faster payments actually works. Previously they only ran them in batches (presumably to save money), so it might take 4 hours before being processed. I think this has been cut down now to 30 min batches and 2 hour clearing.

In the end I cancelled my test account when after a couple of years they wanted me to re-verify it by video, or it would be frozen. One shouldn't need to dick about with issues like that on a business account.
They’re a lot better now than they were!

Commissario
Do tide still charge a monthly fee AND transaction fees + other fees?
I'm actually not sure tbh, I'm not a heavy business account user and usually receive one inbound payment per month and make a few outbound payments, plus direct debits. Monthly fees are anything from £1.50-£2.20.

Soldato
That's actually quite tempting with the phone and travel insurance. I get travel insurance through work but only on work trips and not personal.
Seems a bit pricey, though. We get family travel insurance (including winder sports) for around £90 a year and have phone insurance via our home cover. The rest of the benefits aren't up to much, really.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That's actually quite tempting with the phone and travel insurance. I get travel insurance through work but only on work trips and not personal.

Yea it’s not bad, Nationwide’s FlexPlus is still better as it includes breakdown cover and all insurances extend to your household.

Man of Honour
Seems a bit pricey, though. We get family travel insurance (including winder sports) for around £90 a year and have phone insurance via our home cover. The rest of the benefits aren't up to much, really.

True, but it's handy that I don't have to faff about renewing a policy each year.

Yea it’s not bad, Nationwide’s FlexPlus is still better as it includes breakdown cover and all insurances extend to your household.

I don't need breakdown cover, my BMW is covered by BMW and my Civic wouldn't be eligible as it's over 10 years old.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I don't need breakdown cover, my BMW is covered by BMW and my Civic wouldn't be eligible as it's over 10 years old.

Like most of these products, everyone has different needs. However it's still worth highlighting that FlexPlus is still a better package from an insurance stand point. People will find value from different things.

Soldato
I'm surprised some of these guys don't have more customers than they do. I find Starling much easier to use then some of the older banks - Natwest or HBOS.

Presumably because most people don't swap banks much. If they did then all the major banks wouldn't offer £100 or more to try and tempt people, and i imagine that for 99.9% of people out there, the normal banks do everything they need. They can be paid into it and pay for things out of it.

I follow this thread, but whilst i've seen the odd thing that'd be handy, nothing i've seen has made me feel the need to switch.

Back
Top Bottom