Is there a "cool" convertible?

Soldato
Now I don't really understand all these comments - it appears I may have touched a nerve by my choice of language, however I'm not talking about alpha male macho nonsense, I'm talking about an appealing "oh man i'd love one of those" type of sports cabriolets which tick all boxes rather than having something-something not quite right.

To be clear, I'm posting here in good humour!

Same. Don't take it to heart, OP.
It was more a comment on people sneering at convertible owners. Having owned an MX5 for a few years, after previously sharing the opinion that they were pointless, I can see the appeal. There's just something fun about driving around with the roof down, even in the winter (if it's dry). It's not an experience that should be avoided to appease others.

Soldato
Same. Don't take it to heart, OP.
It was more a comment on people sneering at convertible owners. Having owned an MX5 for a few years, after previously sharing the opinion that they were pointless, I can see the appeal. There's just something fun about driving around with the roof down, even in the winter (if it's dry). It's not an experience that should be avoided to appease others.

Yeah, I was always of the opinion that convertibles were pointless in the UK with its weather, then I moved to Northumberland and bought one. :D

The trick is to learn routes home with no traffic lights, even if it's raining, keep above 30/40ish in an MX5 and you dont get wet anyway.

OcUK Staff
Yeh they do to a degree, the problem is unless they're 50 million horse power with some killer kit on they're a bit too toy like if that makes sense. Although in the gunmetal paint they do look decent stock...

Love my S2000!

100A5E7B-A67E-47C1-8E0C-C68B2B0EA665.JPG

As a fun weekend car, roof down it is a huge amount of fun, as a daily not so much fun as others have said they are tiny inside and roof up dilutes the experience massively.

Engine sound with air box lid off sounds fantastic.
The gear change is easily one of the best manuals ever if not the best.
Handling once aligned and all fresh is great, more progressive on later cars.
Engine is marmite you either hate or love it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
:D Unfortunately you can't own an old M3 any more when Ali in his new Type-R is not only going faster than you around the B-roads, but also having more fun...

Knew this was coming :D
A new CTR is 320HP and 5.8 to 60. That's not faster than even a stock old M3! Fun however is a personal feature :cool:

Soldato
Love my S2000!

100A5E7B-A67E-47C1-8E0C-C68B2B0EA665.JPG

As a fun weekend car, roof down it is a huge amount of fun, as a daily not so much fun as others have said they are tiny inside and roof up dilutes the experience massively.

Engine sound with air box lid off sounds fantastic.
The gear change is easily one of the best manuals ever if not the best.
Handling once aligned and all fresh is great, more progressive on later cars.
Engine is marmite you either hate or love it.

Ha, the VTEC tax on DC2s and S2000s because of that Marmite thing is disappointing, there are still enough of us that like the satisfaction of keeping a revvy engine in the power band to keep prices high.

OcUK Staff
Knew this was coming :D
A new CTR is 320HP and 5.8 to 60. That's not faster than even a stock old M3! Fun however is a personal feature :cool:

What are they 0-100?

Anyway having owned M3 CSL and regular E46 M3 and also having driven every generation of Civic and owned one, I'd take the M3 every time, only downside on M3's is running cost are vastly higher than that of a Honda.

Don
The Alfa looks awful with the roof up though. Thats the issue with many convertibles. Look at the 350Z.

Also you'd much rather a 4 cylinder Alfa shopping trolley to that Mustang? :eek:

That convertible Mustang looks awful all of the time... The only Mustangs that I actually think look reasonable are the first generation, and the latest generation (S550?).

And yes I picked the wrong engine, but was the first one that came up when I searched - at least it wasn't the Diseasel version :)
Obviously the 3.2 version would be the one to have, if only for the noise with the roof down

Associate
Yes I agree... for my dad :p
Your dad must be a pretty cool youngster! :cool::p

E89 Z4, in my personal opinion, is one of the best designed convertibles, ever. It looks good with the roof up and sublime with it down. It’s also relatively comfortable in normal mode, and very responsive in sport mode and above. Bonus points that it can be had with a straight six engine. It also has enough boot space for a large bag, so can easily go away for a week.

Caporegime
That convertible Mustang looks awful all of the time... The only Mustangs that I actually think look reasonable are the first generation, and the latest generation (S550?).

And yes I picked the wrong engine, but was the first one that came up when I searched - at least it wasn't the Diseasel version :)
Obviously the 3.2 version would be the one to have, if only for the noise with the roof down

The 3.2 in those is a GM engine, doesn't sound all that good.

You want an earlier spider with the 3.0 Busso if noise is your concern! :)

I agree that that era of 'stang doesn't look that good as a convertible, but then I think the Alfa Spyder you linked looks worse. But what would the world be without differing opinions. :D

Soldato
I think I see one of the bones of contention here.

Some people think the looks of a car equate to coolness, others think a car is cool if you wish you could drive it.

I see a Mustang and just think 'Why?'

One of the coolest cars I've seen, on my scale, was a tatty Puma Racing with an engine transplant, roll cage and stripped out,

That guy would be the one i wanted to be friends with rather than the Hoorah Henry who turned up in an AMG merc on finance!

Man of Honour
1960's Lotus Elan
1960's Alfa Romeo Spider
Toyota 2000GT 'Convertible'
1920's Morgan 3 Wheeler
Porsche 356 Speedster replica or even a 550 Spyder replica

Soldato
Yes definitely. Lot's of people focusing on my use of the word "embarrassing" in the OP but the title is more accurate in terms of the opinion - they appear to be a rare breed.

I don't think your wording helped but I think it's more about the appreciation, feeling of driving something special that is an event, even better if it's exotic or rare. I love the fact my C63 6.2 is understated for day to day driving. Doesn't get too much attention from Barry Boys in their Golf Rs but still a nod of approval every now and again. At the end of the day who cares about what anyone else is driving, should be about what you get out of it. That can be achieved in an MX-5 as well as a supercar.

Last edited:
Associate
Can I ask what all the 'financed' issue is about? Surely owning a massively depreciating asset is pointless, especially if you want to change regularly?

Are people saying that those with mortgages are somehow lacking?

Associate
I tend to find that most convertibles that are based on hard tops don't look particularly great. I also don't think that many 4-seater convertibles look nice. The only one that's really appealed to me that is even in the 'can aspire to' category would be an earlier R8. I'm 50/50 on whether I'd go with the coupe or spyder if I was getting one.

Back
Top Bottom