• Digital Only Version

Votes: 172 16.2%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm thinking after a year of using one for PS4 games at most I'd have no need.

Need to see if Sony allow PS5 games to be off loaded to be stored (currently they don't according to those who have a system) before I bother I think.

Soldato
Personally I'm considering either a 1tb SATA SSD or a 5TB USB HDD.

Both are similar money at £80-90. The SSD would be quicker but the HDD would mean I never need to worry about storage issues again and I can use it for backup of PS5 games as well if required. I'm feeling like the larger capacity hard drive is the better option at the moment.

If I'm playing a PS4 game frequently enough for the load times to be a nuisance I can always move it to the PS5's internal storage.

Soldato
I havent done that since I was a child, not sure trading in my game to game uk for a 5th of its value and buying a used game for 5% cheaper than brand new is a good deal. Although probably a bit better doing it on something like ebay.

I've never used Game for trading games in. I usually use the MM on here. If I can buy a game for £60 and then sell it for £30 it makes much more sense than paying a straight £60 for a game.

Soldato
The consoles sent out for review don't let you do this, I'm hoping a day 1 patch will enable it.

That's pretty annoying if you can't easily transfer games between the SSD and HDD though it's not likely to be an issue at release given I won't fill the drive with PS5 games for a while.

They have at least said you can run games from a HDD so as long as I set the default install drive as the external one for PS4 titles I should be fine.

Soldato
I tend to only have one or two SP and one MP going at any given time. I'll play the SP until I am done then move on. MP games are a bit more permanent. My Internet is decent enough that I can just download something when I want it.

Soldato
My Internet is decent enough that I can just download something when I want it.

That's the issue i have. The maximum internet speed in my area is only around 30 Mbps so a 50Gb game update would be 5-6 hours download. Basically an overnight job whenever I want to download a larger game. Hence why a large external HDD is looking pretty appealing as if I download a game once I don't want to be doing it again.

Some game updates alone are bad enough! I'm looking at you COD Warzone.....!

There's nothing more frustrating than firing up a game only to be told there's a update required and realising you won't be able to play it that day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never seen the release of a new gen be so bogged down with what BC is doing.

I'm guessing it's because MS have gone in on BC (they don't seem to have much else to show at the moment!) And Sony have got it but it isn't the headline feature?

Two things going on there I think.

Microsoft have turned backward compatibility in to an interesting feature. There's always been a bit of a "Or... you could just keep the old console(s)" thing with BC. But this time out, there are a host of automatic enhancements alongside "Enhanced for Series X|S" and "Xbox One X Enhanced" improvements. The end result is old games looking better than they ever have done before. So it's now a talking point.

Aside from that, Microsoft has been showing off Series X for almost a year now. There isn't really much launch software to talk about. The UI is the same one that's on Xbox One, with minimal features exclusive to X|S. The controller is almost exactly the same. Simply put, if you take BC out of the equation then there really isn't a huge amount to look at with the new Xbox generation. Media will want to fill a certain amount of time combing over the new Xbox consoles, and right now it would be difficult to fill that time without focusing on BC and Quick Resume. And if they're focusing on these features on Xbox, comparisons will inevitably be drawn to what PlayStation is doing in the same area.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on 200 meg because I can't be bothered to upgrade it, it's quick anyway and definitely quick enough for what I need. But I more often than not found download speeds on my PS4 to be awful. It very rarely maxed my connection out whereas my Xbox and PC downloads almost always did/do.

Not sure if that was somehow something to do with PSN or my end, but as a result I am hoping that the ability to move games from SSD to external HD does come soon. It's frustrating having a 200 meg connection and seeing my PS4 downloading at about 1/10th of that.

Soldato
If you're a really heavy user (especially of PS4 games) then you can always use a 1TB SSD for storing and playing PS4 games, saving the internal SSD for PS5 games, then have an additional 2TB HDD for cold storage of PS4 games you're finished with but don't want to delete and redownload. By the time there's enough PS5 games out to fill the SSD you'll be able to expand it.

Presumably the PS5 will let you have multiple extended storage devices?

Soldato
The PS4 lets you only connect one at a time. The backend to PS5 seems almost identical, looking at the settings available in the UI. So you can't use an external SSD and an external USB HDD simultaneously - that's my prediction.
Not plugged in at the same time, but 1 plugged in at a time, swapping between them - does it allow that?

Only issue there would be you'd need to plug in the storage HDD to run updates every few weeks/months.

Caporegime
Not plugged in at the same time, but 1 plugged in at a time, swapping between them - does it allow that?

Only issue there would be you'd need to plug in the storage HDD to run updates every few weeks/months.

Yeah one at a time would work. But what a faff! Personally, I'd just have one massive USB HDD as storage as then use the internal SSD for playing from, with a second internal SSD when they become available.

Soldato
Yeah one at a time would work. But what a faff! Personally, I'd just have one massive USB HDD as storage as then use the internal SSD for playing from, with a second internal SSD when they become available.

Can't see many people having this issue tbh! If someone is filling a 1TB drive with PS4 games, and the 667GB with PS5 games, good on them!!

Back
Top Bottom