• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The advantage AMD holds is that big VRAM, and the future proofing which will subsequently likely come with it.

We're starting to see an increasing number of new games launch which are bottle-necked by the GPU before they get anywhere near a 10GB vRAM budget, this is good evidence for why this notion of vRAM being a limit in the future probably won't be true. When we start to see more benchmarks for the 6800XT and even the 6900XT we're going to start seeing examples of where the GPU is providing frames at <30fps but not past a 10Gb vRAM budget. And that's before we even really put RT performance to go use, that's just in rasterization.

Associate
How ever will people play these games without a few more reflections!

Except it's not reflections.

Minecraft is FULL Pathtracing, the most intensive kind of RT. And Control has a lot of RT effects not just reflections.

Cyberpunk will choke RX 6800s XT's on RT as well, just wait for it.

Caporegime
EnHmRhkVcAAZr3_

I just finds it amusing people have such a chubby for a few more reflections or shadows in a game which for the most part they will probably barely even notice when playing.

G J

G J

Associate
Checks the Hardware Unboxed 18 game average and its less then 10 FPS between the top and people claiming either side gets destroyed. :confused:

Soldato
No matter what side you want, red or green, the fact AMD have a card that competes with Nvidia after all these years, is a good thing for pushing each other. Happy to stick to AMD as I've Freesync but if this pushes Nvidia then AMD will have to work hard again to compete...that's good for all of us :)

Caporegime
How will people ever play these games without higher FPS!?

Future games will be based on technology that exists now; past games won't be!

And in the future rt performance will be much improved over, rt will become standard at some point, right now it's still incredibly niche, though support for it is slowly growing.

Soldato

Ok, I will preface this by saying that this review by Coretek is very articulate and accurate reporting. Yes, I'm surprised.
-He explains why disparity of performance between AMD vs Nvidia sponsored titles.
-He explains how to enable SAM in the bios for x570 board
-He explains that Dirt 5 RT is optimized for RX 6000 and shows you what to expect from other ported games that use RT for the Uarch
-He admits that RT is still a gimmick overall.

Most important:
-He uses a AMD PC Build as his test bed. Something I'm finding hard to see in these other reviews

:D

Associate
I'm sure a lot of people, like myself, try to purchase a GPU for a generation (ie. 4-5 yrs). With the new console generation out and likely most games in development utilising some form of hybrid-RT, I'd say it's already at the point that matters for many folks. If someone upgrades every year or every other year, then sure... surely that isn't the common case? Maybe it is and I'm just a scrooge...

Which is perfectly sensible, I'm still using a 1070 after all.

My point was if RT is so very important to someone then they should probably be looking beyond current cards like the 3080 as you're not going to hold onto it as a long term solution when the next set of improvements come along.

Don
No matter what side you want, red or green, the fact AMD have a card that competes with Nvidia after all these years, is a good thing for pushing each other. Happy to stick to AMD as I've Freesync but if this pushes Nvidia then AMD will have to work hard again to compete...that's good for all of us :)

Exactly.

Associate
If Rt really is the future (ironically driven by amd in the console wars), and where the next leap in gaming is going, it seems a case of dropping the ball if AMD is so poor compared to Nvidia on this. Frustratingly ive not being able to get either.

Associate
If you owned a 3080fe and had the option of a straight swap, games at 4k what would you do ?
If you're bothered by the absolutely, positively, outrageously, amazing fantastic availability of games where RT or DLSS actually make a major difference, stick with the 3080fe, if not, and you plan to keep the card for awhile, I'd probably go with the 6800XT for the memory and the potential for more games to be tailored a bit more towards AMD for the architecture due to the consoles. Just my take.

RT is still in its infancy. By the time swarms of games are using it I think we'll be 2 gens ahead anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom