• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I intended to play Cyberpunk 2077 way before RT/DLSS support was announced, so feel free to assume as much as you want!

I'm reading your words off the screen.

You're calling game enjoyment on a graphics setting as if it's a piece of garbage without it.

Must be fun being a game dev trying to crowbar some kind of ray tracing into the game knowing unreasonable amounts of coverage will be about just that.

Associate
Believe what you want. We have literally decades of experience of consoles being the lead platform, and what that means for PC gamers :p

I'm sure all of that will change because you watched 1 YT video about Spiderman.

You don't have a clue. The video proves you don't. The video covers the tweaks they have to make just to get RT to work and still stay within the frame budget. These same treaks can be changed to take advantage of better hardware. Anyone who can get whats going on in the video, will work out I am right. Also they can see where you can improve graphics on higher end hardware.

Associate
Where does that leave the 3090 ?

Its a pointless card. Once the Ti launches, there is no reason for its existence unless you are a prosumer who needs that 24 gigs of VRAM. Honestly, if the 3080 Ti releases, the 3090 was nothing more than a scam as it was marketed as a gaming card, which was a grave mistake on NVIDIA's part.

Associate

You're calling game enjoyment on a graphics setting as if it's a piece of garbage without it.

Must be fun being a game dev trying to crowbar some kind of ray tracing into the game knowing unreasonable amounts of coverage will be about just that.

The RT part is the main graphics, the game without RT is a legacy fallback so that customers without RT can play the game. Just like control.

Associate
So a tacked on feature like i said orginally. Of everything you've listed and that i am aware of, cyberpunk is the only game i can think of that might have a "next gen/proper" implementation of RT (no i don't count minecraft) and not just a tacked on feature but we just don't know.

It is also a huge game that has been in development for a very long time. So it may very well be a tacked on feature that is heavily overused at launch to make Ampere look good before it is scaled back a few months later. Only time will tell.

I don't see any reason to differentiate between RT that was added pre- or post- release. Ray-tracing is one of the most simple methods of calculating rendering information, and with current real-time apis trivialising many of the complexities behind it (fast ray intersections, interop with traditional pipeline) it's perfectly suited to being "tacked on" considering the various independent stages in a typical rendering pipeline anyway. CP2077 is using RT (specular?) reflections, ambient occlusion, and shadows: all of those things could be added to most game post-release without too much development cost for a typical AAA studio, especially the latter two.

Caporegime
You don't have a clue. The video proves you don't. The video covers the tweaks they have to make just to get RT to work and still stay within the frame. These same treaks can be changed to take advantage of better hardware. Anyone who can get whats is going on in the video, will work out I am right.
And you think that every single game dev on every single engine just has to move a few sliders to add RT into their game?

Please. You've watched one YT video and now think every game engine is the same, that devs just move a slider left or right and RT magically appears in their game. :p

Associate
Believe what you want. We have literally decades of experience of consoles being the lead platform, and what that means for PC gamers :p

I'm sure all of that will change because you watched 1 YT video about Spiderman.

They're the lead platform, but there's often times easy ways to scale up the graphics for the PC to deliver better performance that cost zero development time. It doesn't cost the developers anything to add a screen resolution drop down in the game menu, or an FOV slider, or a view distance slider. The same is true for RT effects. Once you've done say a reflection effect via RT like in spiderman you can tweak the resolution at which that effect runs at and it's just 1 value in the settings you're changing, it doesn't incur any additional overhead to development. It means as long as console games have basic RT features the PC will get them but have a slider that allows us to turn it up a notch to look better.

Associate
And you think that every single game dev on every single engine just has to move a few sliders to add RT into their game?

Please. You've watched one YT video and now think every game engine is the same, that devs just move a slider left or right and RT magically appears in their game. :p

Again thats not how it works. Watch the video, cure your ignorance.

@PrincessFrosty Thats basically what the video shows. The developer just has to retweak the game for the new hardware. Reflections for example, can have more objects and can be a higher resolution. You just have to have the basic feature in place, then you tweak it to meet the frame budget. The faster the hardware the more you can render and still meet the performance target. If the hardware is not as good, then you can scale back each feature so you can still meet the frame budget.

Last edited:
Soldato

To argue the obvious with someone like that does give the impression to be an actor on this form.

Soldato
We're starting to see an increasing number of new games launch which are bottle-necked by the GPU before they get anywhere near a 10GB vRAM budget, this is good evidence for why this notion of vRAM being a limit in the future probably won't be true. When we start to see more benchmarks for the 6800XT and even the 6900XT we're going to start seeing examples of where the GPU is providing frames at <30fps but not past a 10Gb vRAM budget. And that's before we even really put RT performance to go use, that's just in rasterization.

Yes. I remember debating this with you a couple of weeks ago.

What is telling is that at 4K, rasterisation wise the 6800Xt is not superceding the 3080 so its unlikely even if a game does demand 16GB of VRAM, that the 6800Xt is going to pull off anything tangible and spectacular over the NVIDIA GPUs.

Soldato
As i said, i'm currently watching through some reviews. In 4k they are comparable in games like metro last light, ghost recon wildlands, f1 2020, borderlands 3, farcry 5. Some they win by a few fps, some they lose by a few fps.

'lol'
so you comment before even reading or watching reviews
'lol
typical

Associate

Nowhere in my statement did I mention that having ray tracing support/DLLS directly corelates to the enjoyment of the game, I was merely referencing performance of said game without it. You can still enjoy a game even if it runs like a bag of rocks. However, if I was to drop 600-700 quid on a brand new graphics card I would want it to run games with all the bells and whistles.

You mentioned hyperbole? See your previous post.

Caporegime
I don't see many people talking about power consumption, but how about the power difference between the 6800 XT and the 3080?

Average Gaming Power Consumption
EGXdtwW.png

Peak Gaming Power Consumption
oVDvDsD.png

Caporegime
They're the lead platform, but there's often times easy ways to scale up the graphics for the PC to deliver better performance that cost zero development time. It doesn't cost the developers anything to add a screen resolution drop down in the game menu, or an FOV slider, or a view distance slider. The same is true for RT effects. Once you've done say a reflection effect via RT like in spiderman you can tweak the resolution at which that effect runs at and it's just 1 value in the settings you're changing, it doesn't incur any additional overhead to development. It means as long as console games have basic RT features the PC will get them but have a slider that allows us to turn it up a notch to look better.
I suggest RT on consoles is going to be extremely minimal. Like shadows only or a couple of puddles.

You can use your sliders all day long to add more rays or whatever, but if the consoles aren't going to make much use of RT (if) then don't expect your 3090 to transform the game into a fully ray traced RT showcase.

Whatever (minimal) RT gets added to console games, the 6000 series will be more than capable of dealing with it.

I just expect the amount of RT added to games to remain minimal this console gen. We'll need the Ps6 (or beyond) to get a really extensive amount of RT in games.

Your 3090 might look a tiny bit better, but unless nVidia invest heavily - basically paying the devs to fuss over RT for PC gamers - then I wouldn't expect much in the way of RT this console generation.

Like I said, a few shadows here, a few puddles there, and that'll be about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom