• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The main thing to focus on is a card that only uses 210W will be easier to cool and potentially have more overclocking headroom when tweaked and played with or under water. More importantly though at 300W Nvidia making a newer faster bigger card on the same node seems less likely while 50-80W less power usage on average that is actually room to make a say 30% bigger die on the same node and have a reasonable power budget/output.

But when the cards are under heavy load playing modern games there is only a 30w-40w difference between the 3080 and the 6800XT.
Not really a lot in it, definitely not enough to make a difference in purchase decisions

Soldato
320 watts or the same as the 3080 stock. RTX 3080 FE https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080.c3621 stock bios 320 watts TDP. 6800xt stock bios is 300 watts TDP.

power-maximum.png

Even so the RTX 3080 will pull more than 320 watts.

power-maximum.png

52 watts difference or that of a light bulb.

If you're running Furmark constantly.

More like 30 watts in gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLVGL7aAYgY&t=1370s

Still, no harm in your computer generating less heat even if it's financially negligible.

Associate
This is one for all the dads out there, but i am personally looking forward to watching Peppa Pig sing about jumping up and down in ray traced muddy puddles.
No just no! I would happily stab Peppa Pig in the fkin face! :D:D:D

If I have to watch it just one more time..... again... it never ends... please stop..

Soldato
Just had my 6800XT cancelled by OcUk after ordering at 14:31pm blind without reading a single review. Got to say I'm not that disappointed, I game just under 4k (3840*1600p) and after seeing the reviews the 3080 still just about comes out on top at that res. The only game I'll be playing now till Feb or so next year will be Cyberpunk and the Ray Tracing performance on the 6800XT is quite poor, not beating my 2080Ti in some cases and this title will be heavy RT'd and DLSS from what the Dev's had said. So as my individual horizon only has the one AAA game on it with my monitor I think I will hold onto my trusty Strix 2080Ti. Might even sit it out till the 3080ti, unless I can grab a quick 3080 in the meantime to just give me a bump in CP. Overall a little disappointed in the 6800XT I was hoping RT to be closer with the nice bump in VRAM over the 3080, though thinking about it I would rather Ray Tracing/DLSS for the next 12 months over 16GB VRAM hands down.

Soldato
SAM is not exclusive to Ryzen. It's just changing the amount of BAR and that's in the PCIE spec. So a BIOS update should sort you out as soon as Intel can be bothered. Plus right now it's unstable, even on Ryzen.

I've gone through a few reviews, many have seen SAM granting from zero to some effect, mostly good at increasing minimum frame rates.

Not seen anyone saying it makes the system unstable.

Unless you're talking about BAR resizing in general and not the specific parts AMD tested under the label of SAM in which case yes, that's why AMD only said specific parts are ok for it and why Nvidia isn't rushing out a competing version.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But when the cards are under heavy load playing modern games there is only a 30w-40w difference between the 3080 and the 6800XT.
Not really a lot in it, definitely not enough to make a difference in purchase decisions

When a 5700XT uses 10 Watt more than a 2070 Super its all "look at how efficient Nvidia are and how bad AMD are" i'm not pointing my finger at you, but this is what happens so don't be surprised when AMD users throw that back in Nvidia users face.

Soldato
The whole nvidia youtube channel has more than two. Why don't you go there yourself and fix your own ignorance. Or maybe google search and go to the long list on nvidia website.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/rtx/
I'm now gone through your link and there were about 4 or 5 games (including the two already mentioned) that are not already released. I think it is fair to conclude that your orginal comment is false.

Comment in question
There are lots of photorealiistic games coming that use RT.

Soldato
When a 5700XT uses 10 Watt more than a 2070 Super its all "look at how efficient Nvidia are and how bad AMD are" i'm not pointing my finger at you, but this is what happens so don't be surprised when AMD users throw that back in Nvidia users face.
Both times though Nvidia has been on a less efficient node so in that respect you have to give them credit that they are in the same ballpark as AMD in terms of power and performance.

Soldato
So now that it is clear the 6800XT sits marginally below the 3080 at 4K it leaves some of us with a mild dilemma.

6800XT is OK and does sort of compete with 3080 in some scenarios and that is right where I expected it for rasterised performance. Though the sub-par ray tracing performance being below 2080Ti makes it a poor choice for future proofing. I was hoping it would at least give better RT than 2080Ti. On the other hand the 3080 with only 10GB is going to be a potential problem for 4K.

Hard to decide what to do to be fair but I would rather take a punt on the 3080 given it seems to be a better all round GPU according to most reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
We've also seen that it's very possible to make your games look *worse* with a shoddy RT implementation.

Like that screenshot with a mirror finish TV reflecting perfectly the other side of the room. And people looking at it thinking, "What the? That's not how a TV behaves in RL? Isn't RT supposed to be more realistic?"
Yes it is supposed to be more realistic however, Ive not seen any talent to reflect that in the rtx titles thus far. And, from my observations it seems that nvidia just wants to show Ray tracing to the extent that it looks silly reflecting mirror like images on puddles, tvs, etc.

Nvidia is simply using Ray tracing as they did with tessellation to overdo it to encourage a performance penalty that they can afford to incur to hamper Radeon, once again. Old dog old tricks. IMO.

As you see more console gaming developers use Ray tracing it would be more subtle and less intrusive. However the downside is that it will have very little Improvement on image quality. It does have the potential to impact development resources. However only developer resources.

In particular on console developers will not use Ray tracing in such a way in which it would bring a negative experience for the games they want to sell.
With reviewers like digital Foundry putting everything under a microscope. Most developers would want to avoid any level of scrutiny to their games that they want to sell. Ie: low fps.

So it is my assertion, guess, that Ray tracing will be used only in to help decrease development time in areas that need it most. However with a minimal impact visually in the games you play.

And that is how I see the legacy of Ray tracing in games. Just enough to help with development time and leverage performance. But nothing substantial to showing a tangible difference in IQ in the game. Except those times Nvidia gets involved only to promote RTX. Because they need Ray tracing to sell their gpus.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm now gone through your link and there were about 4 or 5 games (including the two already mentioned) that are not already released. I think it is fair to conclude that your orginal comment is false.

Comment in question

What total non sense. There are 19 game there. If you are going to flat out lie, bother someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom