• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Man of Honour
Not monitored my CPU temp @Rroff but then again I have an AIO on it so wouldnt be as affected as the air cooler. Will report back if you remind me - I bought a new m.2 for the fresh install of windows so take a while till I get the build back on point.

2szixCK.png

That is my setup - used to have an Antec Kuhler AIO in there but it had a few issues and I wanted less noise.

Man of Honour
Ouch yes that would affect it directly. Can you resite the sound card at all?

Nope but doesn't really make much difference - it is the 3070 chucking heat out the top right into the CPU tower that stopped me being able to run it passively.

(Possible it is also dragging heat off the chipset into the CPU as well which wasn't happening before with my old setup).

Man of Honour
Fit a shroud on underside of the CPU cooler?

I'll probably just swap it out for an AIO again anyhow soon - this Xeon has more overclocking potential than the passive setup can provide (recently changed it from my old 4820K) - was just nice having a very quiet PC.

Man of Honour
Surely slapping a low rpm fan on it would make up for the increased heat without adding any noise vs running passive @Rroff ??

First thing I tried but wasn't enough - there seems to be a build up of heat, causing an increase in CPU temps, in the spot just above the GeForce RTX text between the GPU and CPU heatsink which needed higher RPMs to move.

Doesn't help the heatsink is oriented the wrong way either but it won't fit the correct way around.

Man of Honour
My 5820K overclocked has a TDP well over 160W I'd say and barely got an extra 5 degrees with the 3090 gaming for over an hour, with my Noctua D15s.

My setup was hanging on a knife edge really - shouldn't really be able to keep an overclocked X79 CPU cool with that heatsink passive (95 watt max passive) but it just about worked with the Air 540 case and enough case fans. The 3070 just tipped it over the edge.

Not the end of the world anyhow has the Xeon 1650 V2 I just put in has way more overclocking potential than that setup will support.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
My setup was hanging on a knife edge really - shouldn't really be able to keep an overclocked X79 CPU cool with that heatsink passive (95 watt max passive) but it just about worked with the Air 540 case and enough case fans. The 3070 just tipped it over the edge.

Not the end of the world anyhow has the Xeon 1650 V2 I just put in has way more overclocking potential than that setup will support.

Corsair Carbide? Man of taste I have same Case then..

Wanna see my modded window to address the mobo VRM?

Soldato

Any option of just strapping on a fan?

Man of Honour
Oh ok I wont show the window then.. :(

I assumed you would upload anyway.

Any option of just strapping on a fan?

There are fan mounts - I've now populated - just liked the old setup as it was practically silent unless you stuck your ear to the case and just about coped with an overclocked 4820K.

Don't understand my 3070 FE at all though - playing with the voltages just produces worse results though it seems to have plenty of headroom for lowering the voltage while still remaining stable at stock but doesn't give any higher frequency potential same with increasing the voltage... but if I ramp the core clock up with a slight increase to power limit while using maximum performance power setting the frequency goes up, the framerate goes up, but power draw... goes down! (any other combination of settings just produce worse results than stock with the power draw clipping the limit).

EDIT: With some more playing got it to +150MHz, 109% power comes back to stock power use - basically maxed out at 240 watt - not sure what is going on there (possibly a driver bug). Gives around 8-10% performance increase in games and ~2GHz frequency. At roughly +167 (I need to look up the bin steps) it loses stability but there is no real performance increase beyond +150 due to being on the power limit.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is literally no point in taking preorders when the existing lines for each SKU for hundreds and in some cases thousands deep. Some people are still waiting for day 1 orders on some SKUS.

That said many people have multiple orders in all over the place and are waiting for whoever can supply it first.

Back
Top Bottom