*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
An update on my performance issues in AMS 2 where I was getting 50-65fps and low GPU usage on my 2070S even despite lowering steam resolution down to 50%..

I haver rolled back to nvidia drivers 446.14 and I'm at a silky smooth 90FPS and gpu usage in the 90's.... anyone having VR performance issues on a 2000 series card, give these drivers a try.
Out of interest has that allowed you to crank the steam resolution back up to 100%,
Game looks awesome at that setting, can see clear right into the distance, but leaves me with 30-45fps

Soldato
Out of interest has that allowed you to crank the steam resolution back up to 100%,
Game looks awesome at that setting, can see clear right into the distance, but leaves me with 30-45fps

No, my 2070S clearly just can't cope with pushing that many pixels in my driving games and gets really poor no matter the settings... doesn't much like anti aliasing either.

I'll just accept the loss in clarity at 50% steam resolution, and when I finally get my paws on a new GPU it'll be a nice visual upgrade. At least this headset has some longevity, I don't think it's until the next generation of GPUs (or games start using DLSS/Direct ML super resolution like upscaling) that we'll truly be able to run it at the full potential.

Associate
No, my 2070S clearly just can't cope with pushing that many pixels in my driving games and gets really poor no matter the settings... doesn't much like anti aliasing either.

I'll just accept the loss in clarity at 50% steam resolution, and when I finally get my paws on a new GPU it'll be a nice visual upgrade. At least this headset has some longevity, I don't think it's until the next generation of GPUs (or games start using DLSS/Direct ML super resolution like upscaling) that we'll truly be able to run it at the full potential.
Yeah that's my feelings as well,
I think at this point vr headsets are moving faster than GPUs,
Here's hoping for some DLSS or similar for vr soon :)

Associate
Finally got mine yesterday. Didn't get much time on it but had a nice drive on AC. Looks lovely and the difference going from 72 - 90hz is also very noticeable. No issues with sound or controllers. It's not picked up by USB on the motherboard, but fine in my powered USB 3.0 hub, which is better anyway as it allows me to switch the headset off.

The whole cliff house thing is confusing though, although I noticed I can bypass it altogether with AC, hopefully will be the same with other games too.

Last edited:
Associate
For those that are interested, I finally got chance to try my G2 in DCS. All settings turned up, PD at 1.0 and SteamVR set to AUTO which is hitting 150%. I didn't monitor the frame rates, I just went for the experience and a quick "play" given that I was short on time.

I loaded up a self made practice mission where I start on a busy carrier deck in the F18 with rain, wind, low clouds and other vessels nearby. Straight away, the visual clarity improvement over my previous Rift S was blindingly obvious! I can read every single dial, gauge, label and button in the cockpit with ease. The "sweet spot" compared to the Rift S is also amazing! This is probably because I have a reasonably wide IPD, so I play with the G2 at its max IPD, but I can scan around with my eyes a decent amount and still see clearly. In the Rift S this was not possible at all, I would have to move my head at all times and keep my eyes fixed in one place.

Performance wise I also have no problems at all. The head tracking is perfect, no stuttering and no sign of low frame rates. And this is without turning on any of the beta reprojection options too. The sense of speed as you are launched from the cat and fly low over the water is fantastic from the extra visual clarity gained over the Rift S.

Audio: Wow. I'm very surprised how good it is for a VR headset! I own a set of Arctis Pro GameDac, which sound lovely, so it was a surprise for me to hear good audio from something that isn't even sat on my ears. This, in comparison to the audio of the Rift S was actually one of the biggest differences for me! There are sounds that came from the F18's engines that I would never have heard on the Rift S.

As for the hand controllers, I used these briefly when in the WMR home, and I'm on the fence with them. The tracking doesn't behave so well when your arms are in the down position compared to the Rift S. So I imagine in games where you are "aiming from the hip" this could be a problem, however I don't really intent to play many games that I would do that. I own Half-Life Alyx, so I will be trying this at some point, and I own Beat Sabre - which I somehow can see me having problems with, which will be a shame, so I hope I'm wrong.

All in all though, I'm very happy, because my primary use for this headset is for flight sims, and maybe some driving games. For these, it seems perfect.

Associate
New to VR so it's all quite confusing at the moment but what is everyone using to measure FPS in VR... I bought fpsVR but it only goes as high as 45fps.

Soldato
For those that are interested, I finally got chance to try my G2 in DCS. All settings turned up, PD at 1.0 and SteamVR set to AUTO which is hitting 150%. I didn't monitor the frame rates, I just went for the experience and a quick "play" given that I was short on time.
SNIP .

Arrrhgh Now I really wish I had one.

This is going to be a massive step up from a CV1

Associate
Then you are re-projecting
Hmmm, is that a good thing or bad?

AMD 3700X | 2 x 16GB Ram | 1 x Samsung 980 Pro 256Gb NVME | 1 x Sabrent Rocket 2280 1TB NVME | RTX Zotac 3080 OC | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I've left everything at default and for the most part HL Aylx plays fine but it's just odd that it never goes above 45fps and in some areas sits at 35-45fps. WMR hub thing (cliff house) works fine but Steam VR hub thing usually chugs along at 5 - 10fps.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm, is that a good thing or bad?

AMD 3700X | 2 x 16GB Ram | 1 x Samsung 980 Pro 256Gb NVME | 1 x Sabrent Rocket 2280 1TB NVME | RTX Zotac 3080 OC | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I've left everything at default and for the most part HL Aylx plays fine but it's just odd that it never goes above 45fps and in some areas sits at 35-45fps. WMR hub thing works fine but Steam VR usually chugs along at 5 - 10fps.
Means your running at half frame rate, hang on will try and find something to help.....

Edit - Another user posted this yesterday about reprojection,
It's more for turning it on, but you can check your settings,https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps
Somone probably has a better more straight forward answer for you but maybe this will help you

Soldato
I'm the complete opposite. Been going back and forth with the G1 and G2 since yesterday and to say i'm underwhelmed would be a massive understatement.

Im just talking purely about the visuals. I dont care at all about tracking, controllers, audio etc.

If anyone in the NE is after one they can have mine for the £525 I paid

You need to post 950 more times then you can put an add in MM

I may be interested but no selling outside of MM.

Associate
I tried firing up the G2 again today (still waiting on Ross at SA sorting out an RMA). Wanted to compare it to the Q2. I couldn't get it to work properly at all other than WMR hub. Steam VR home stuttered like mad with a red reprojection warning - off because app running at half frame rate. This is doing nothing but running Steam VR (which was perfectly fine yesterday). Tried running Robo Recall, same problem. I did manage to get into Assetto but having tried it again on Quest 2 I was feeling off already, and the stuttering in Home sent me over the edge, I still feel sick hours later.

I faffed with the Reverb for an hour, couldn't get it to work properly (even though it was mostly fine the other day). So it is definitely going back, it's just not a user-friendly setup. Fired up the Quest 2 and it was instantly fine in Steam VR and Oculus VR. Lesson learned, Q2 just works, its a bit softer, but its vomit inducing in racing games. G2, despite being really nice in Assetto, is just too much faff to keep, and right now doesn't work at all.

Associate
Means your running at half frame rate, hang on will try and find something to help.....

Edit - Another user posted this yesterday about reprojection,
It's more for turning it on, but you can check your settings,https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps
Somone probably has a better more straight forward answer for you but maybe this will help you

That's great, will read through and give it a go when I get home :)

Thank You :)

Associate
I tried firing up the G2 again today (still waiting on Ross at SA sorting out an RMA). Wanted to compare it to the Q2. I couldn't get it to work properly at all other than WMR hub. Steam VR home stuttered like mad with a red reprojection warning - off because app running at half frame rate. This is doing nothing but running Steam VR (which was perfectly fine yesterday). Tried running Robo Recall, same problem. I did manage to get into Assetto but having tried it again on Quest 2 I was feeling off already, and the stuttering in Home sent me over the edge, I still feel sick hours later.

I faffed with the Reverb for an hour, couldn't get it to work properly (even though it was mostly fine the other day). So it is definitely going back, it's just not a user-friendly setup. Fired up the Quest 2 and it was instantly fine in Steam VR and Oculus VR. Lesson learned, Q2 just works, its a bit softer, but its vomit inducing in racing games. G2, despite being really nice in Assetto, is just too much faff to keep, and right now doesn't work at all.

Sounds like something in Steam could still be running in the background and eating resources!? When everything appears closed, open up the task manager and see if anything is using your GPU. I've seen this a few times on my old Rift S and I also hit this yesterday too with the G2. It's not a headset problem, it's a Steam problem. Also, what are your SteamVR resolution settings? If it is on AUTO and setting itself too high, then this can also cause a heavy workload in general due to the resolution that the G2 demands.

Back
Top Bottom